Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What equipment do you really need?

I was told that I would need:

1) A scale to weigh my food.< /p>

2) A blender.

3) A food processor

I live in a small apartment and I do have a handheld mixer that has a blade attachment; I'd like to keep the equipment down to a minimum if I can. :biggrin:

And I'm thinking before I run out and buy all these things for my post-op, I should find out what things you guys, post-ops, actually use. :thumbup:

What are the things you can't live without? Are there things you use that aren't on my small list? :cool2:

I have all three mentioned above. However the scales and food processor are somewhere in my basement from when I moved in 2005.

I bought a magic bullet, and hated it because it is cheap plastic. I have an old blender with the glass jug that my mother bought at a yard sale years ago. This thing is from the 60's. It has a dial!

Anyway the old blender is the only thing I use.

I have a blender and a cheap set of plastic measuring cups (1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4). I don't weigh anything but I'm reasonably good at using the measuring cups - I tend to use them as ladles, so it means there's no extra fuss when serving up food. The blender doesn't get as much workout now that I am past the healing stage, but I still use it on occasions, especially on the day and day after a fill.

I have all three mentioned above. However the scales and food processor are somewhere in my basement from when I moved in 2005.

I bought a magic bullet, and hated it because it is cheap plastic. I have an old blender with the glass jug that my mother bought at a yard sale years ago. This thing is from the 60's. It has a dial!

Anyway the old blender is the only thing I use.

Cool, I guess if I only have room for one thing it will be a blender. Maybe I'll get one of those snazzy colored ones. :lol:

I have a blender and a cheap set of plastic measuring cups (1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4). I don't weigh anything but I'm reasonably good at using the measuring cups - I tend to use them as ladles, so it means there's no extra fuss when serving up food. The blender doesn't get as much workout now that I am past the healing stage, but I still use it on occasions, especially on the day and day after a fill.

Excellent idea!!!!!!!!! I saw some long handled (longer than normal, anyway) measuring cups at Ross. I'm gonna nab them if they're still there!!

I don't need anything different than I used before surgery. My doctor doesn't advocate Protein Shakes, so I don't need a blender. I also was told not to weigh my food - I eat 'til I feel satisfied, so no scale. I can't for the life of me figure out what a food processor has to do with a lapband!!! I have one, though, and I really like it, but it does take up a lot of room. If you are going on shakes, you will probably need a blender. If you are short on space I'd highly recommend the Bullet - available at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond and places like that...It is pretty small and you could even conceivably take it to work or out of town with you.

one thing with the scale: if you are going to get one, either go for a digital one, or get one of the small ones that tend to be the cheapest. just make sure it has some type of a cup-ish thing on top for putting stuff in. the only thing that you really might want to weigh is meat or cheese. it's nice to cut your meat into smaller portions and then freeze it. but if you get a big scale, it can't measure 4 oz properly. get one of the cheap ones that don't measure very much, and they will work better. i made this mistake and had to return the scale.

We already had a blender, scale & measuring cups for regular use. I don't think the blender is necessary just for post-op if you don't already have & use one. If you really have to have shakes, you can buy them premade in boxes or cans, or use your handheld mixer.

We use our little scale a lot. Ours doesn't have a cup. What it does have is the ability to zero out even if something is sitting on it, so you can set any dish on there you want, press a button to zero it out, and then add your food. It's a Salter that we got at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I am schedules for surgery 5/23 and already had a blender and have gone out and bought a food processor. I got a large one for a great price from Walmart. It was only $27 while the small 1 cup size is $17. I figured it would be great for cooking for me post op and even for daily meals for my family. I really have no plans on buying a scale though. After reading this I will probably buy new measuring cups because like half of mine are missing.

Where can I get a cheap scale for measuring food? ?? I have measuring cups lol

I don't need anything different than I used before surgery. My doctor doesn't advocate Protein shakes, so I don't need a blender. I also was told not to weigh my food - I eat 'til I feel satisfied, so no scale. I can't for the life of me figure out what a food processor has to do with a lapband!!! I have one, though, and I really like it, but it does take up a lot of room. If you are going on shakes, you will probably need a blender. If you are short on space I'd highly recommend the Bullet - available at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond and places like that...It is pretty small and you could even conceivably take it to work or out of town with you.

No wieghing? Do you have any idea what the average amount of food you eat in a sitting is? I suppose one would only need to weigh stuff initially, just to get an idea of what they are eating. Then again...egad, this food thing is so confusing.

I was going to say if you handle the mental side of it, eating until your satisified is good enough, but if you aren't then wieghing food would be a good idea. That can be argued of course since we are all different, but anyway.

I'm loving my shakes. I had trouble with blood sugars before that. I've been thinking about continuing them once a day after the band. Though, I've heard mixed thoughts on the saftey of that.

We already had a blender, scale & measuring cups for regular use. I don't think the blender is necessary just for post-op if you don't already have & use one. If you really have to have shakes, you can buy them premade in boxes or cans, or use your handheld mixer.

We use our little scale a lot. Ours doesn't have a cup. What it does have is the ability to zero out even if something is sitting on it, so you can set any dish on there you want, press a button to zero it out, and then add your food. It's a Salter that we got at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Has weighing your food helped with Portion Control? Do you think if you stopped that you'd eat too much? I know some people don't weigh thier food while others swear by it. My Dr. has suggested I at least weigh my food until I at least hit the sweet spot. (Not banded yet, so will be a while.)