Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about Surgery

Hi everyone.

I've being trying to lose weight for about 4 yrs now. I've had my moments when I would lose a lot of weight but something would happen and I'd "fall off the wagon". I know that this surgery is not a quick fix and I wouldn't want it to be. I am dedicated to my health and have rededicated myself to reshaping my body into a healthy one. I guess what I am trying to say is I have a few questions about the procedure.

1. How long was your hospital stay?

2. I have a desk job with no heavy lifting...How soon would I be able to get back to work?

I guess that's all for now. Thank you in advance.

Hi, I've only been banded for 7 weeks and have lost 23 lbs since then, plus 20 lbs pre-op. I like you have lost weight in the past and always seem to put it back on and I'm hoping this new tool will help the weight stay off this time. I have a sit down desk job also and was told that I could return to work in 1 week, I took off about 2 1/2 weeks though just because I was so tired, but could have gone back in 1 week if I had to. As for the hospital stay, I went in for surgery at 9:30am and was home the same day about 6:00pm. I think some surgeons keep the patient overnight but not all of them. Good luck in your decision.

I would love to be able to leave the same day. I hate over night hospital stays. They are so depressing for me. Being away from my family is not fun for me. LOL I'm glad to see that it has gone well for you. I'm going to talk to my Doc later on this month about it. At my previous appointment he suggested the gastric bypass but I do not want my insides rerouted. It's just TOO permanent for me. At least with the lap band I can have it reversed later on in life but I doubt I will but it's nice to have it as an option. I've been doing some reading about it and I think I may seriously consider it. I haven't talked to my husband about it. I know how he feels about this sort of thing but I know with all the information I have gotten that he'll understand that I'm not doing this as a way to get out of exercise and good eating habits but as a tool to help supplement those. I know I probably sound like an ad but I can't help it. I'm tired of the weight and I want my new body. It's in here somewhere I just have to work hard to get her to show.

HI Eazes,

You will discover everyone's experience is slightly different; there is no common uniform answer! For what it is worth:

I went to the clinic at 11, operated on at 12 and out the door (walking slowly) by 4.

This happened on a Friday and Monday (3 days later) I was back at my desk job. By Thursday I was back to walking home from work - about 30 minutes normally; about 45 minutes for the first week or so.

I realize every story is different that's why I was wondering everyone's experience so I can kind of get an average of what I may go through. I'm going to continue my research. Thank you ladies that have shared your experience with me so far. It is helping more than you know.

My hospital stay was just a few hours. I arrived that morning, had surgery, and went home a few hours later.

I took 1 week off work. I recall being tired when I went back to work - body still healing up a bit and my calorie intake was pretty low still. The port area was sore longest, but it didn't stop me from working or otherwise going about normal life.

Good luck with your research! I'm really glad I did this.

My job is part time and I just sit at my desk all day. I know my supervisor would allow me to leave early if necessary but I only work 5 hours a day.

Oh I forgot what about driving? How long did you have to ride shot gun before you could get behind the wheel again?

I've made a decisions...

I'm going to do it. I know I still have to meet with my doctor and go through the right hoops but since he suggested gastric bypass I'm assuming I'll be a good candidate for lap band. As soon as I can I'm going to talk to my doctor about putting my referral in. I can't believe I'm going to do it. I feel so nervous now for some reason. Well actually nervous, relieved, and happy. Very happy!

That's great! You won't regret it.

You can drive as soon as you aren't taking any pain meds.

I'm going to call today to see if I can get the ball rolling. I'm so excited. What did you have to go through before you scheduled your surgery?

Glad to see you made up your mind, congratulations, I don't think you'll regret it for a minute.

Everyone is different in what they go through before scheduling surgery. In my case, I had to attend a seminar which I did in November and then I had to see a physchologist 3 times, a nutritionist, and take a pshyc evaluation. After the phsychologist released me, then the surgeon's office submitted my paperwork to the insurance company and I was banded about 4 1/2 months later.

1. How long was your hospital stay?

2. I have a desk job with no heavy lifting...How soon would I be able to get back to work?

I guess that's all for now. Thank you in advance.

1. I got banded yesterday at 1PM, home by 4PM....

2. I expect to be back in work (I too have a desk job) by Wednesday or Thursday. Sore, tender, sleepy, but to be honest, if I wanted to push it, I could be back by Monday or Tuesday. The pain is not intolerable in any way.