Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

By itself, I'm not aware of any symptoms for dilation, per se. That doesn't mean there aren't any...I'm just not aware of any. (Big help, I know! LOL)

This Friday will be three weeks since I was completely unfilled due to pouch dilation and a minor slipped band. (Oxymoron) The slip was what was causing the symptoms that made me make an appointment. The dilation wasn't discovered except under flouro.

I want to see the answer to this too. The main point my doc makes over and over is to limit my meals to <4 oz. in order to avoid overfilling my pouch and possibly causing a slip. He said to eat more frequently if need be, but be careful to limit the quantity. They spot potential slips under fluro and have to completely remove the fill for a period of time when that happens in order to avoid a serious problem. The cause, he said, is almost always overeating. Sure got my attention.

He said one symptom of a possible problem in this area is the presence of heartburn/reflux when you lie down.

Edited by CallMeJim
addition

Not sure about the "almost always overeating" statement, but it definitely SOUNDS logical. In my case, I was too tight and stubbornly held off getting an unfill. I did get a slight unfill, which helped...but it wasn't enough. I was still too tight. I got incredibly stuck one night and had a horrible and extended PB session. This is what caused both the slip and the dilation. The symptoms were immediate and pronounced...I flat could not eat...could barely drink. It was like crimping your Water hose to stop the flow of water...that is exactly what my band was doing to my stomach.

So a word to the wise: it only takes once! Never delay getting back to the doctor if you are tight!

Oh yeah! I'm great! Since I was unfilled completely, I gave myself "permission" to eat whatever I wanted to for two weeks! LOL It had been so long since I was able to really eat, and I loved it. That all stopped Monday of this week, though. Thank goodness I only gained four pounds! (I think I ate two gallons of Bluebell Buttered Pecan ice cream during that time! :frown:)

Seriously, I WAS truly miserable...and when they gave me the scoop and I saw it for myself on the screen, I was given two choices: go on liquids for a month, or get completely unfilled. My surgeon just happened to be there that day and I could tell from the look on his face and his tone that I really needed to go with the unfill, which apparently most are understandably hesitant to do, if at all.

I had already planned to get unfilled when I got to goal, so I went for it. Only after I made my decision did the surgeon, NP and tech say that I made the right decision. They let me decide first, which I thought was cool.

At one month I go back to check it out. That will be on May 15th. About 50% will heal themselves in one month of being unfilled. If mine does, they can start refilling me. If not, we will wait one more month. If not then, I go back to my doc and consider redoing the surgery all over. I have had six fills (I think?), with almost 7CC in a 10CC band. They say it will take only two fills to get that back.

All that being said, I will never redo the surgery. If I wasn't so close to goal, I would redo it in a heartbeat. But I am close to goal and I know now that I can do it on my own. I originally thought I wouldn't get refilled at all, but I will get a little of it back. I can do it completely empty, but life would be easier if I had a little bit of restriction. I will NEVER go back to what I had. I'm too active and my band has been a good tool to make me change my habits for good. I'm hoping that 3.5CC will do the trick, but I will do whatever feels good/right and helps me stay on track.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I'm all fixed up inside and can get a bit of fill on May 15th and "call it done" for good.