Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, my father has to be around 280-325LBS!! He got double knee replacement about 2 years ago.

He made a promise to me that he would be willing to go to a few meetings and I was hoping I could start here. He is scared of surgery and hates hospitals. So I told him that I would do some reach if he would be willing to listen with an open mind.

So I was hoping to find out who is on here who has had good and bad results from the LAP BAND. If there are any Doctors on this site I would like to hear from you as well.

I am looking forward to hearing from you!!

Bryan

Your Dad is really lucky to have a son who cares so much!

I began this at 289 pounds, 2 years ago. I had high blood pressure (2 Rx's), high blood sugar (1 Rx), painful joints (Rx) with both knees having been operated on, high cholesterol----I was unable to move much---I felt defeated!

When I had surgery, I actually never went back on some of my meds, and within a few short months was off of all of them, and to this day take no prescription meds at all!

I am close to my goal weight, I have a Tummy Tuck scheduled in just under 2 weeks. I can shop in normal sizes, I blend into crowds, I can run with my grandkids. I have a life again!

I found lap band surgery itself to be uncomfortable for a day or 2 at most. I would not consider my own to have been a painful thing. It was done laproscopically, so a few small incisions, nothing huge! I had mine done in Mexicali, Mexico.

Within the week, I was back to driving, and caring for my granddaughter while my DD (Darling Daughter) works.

I have had 2 fills---where saline is added to the band, to make it tighter, to help you eat less. I have pretty good restriction, but mostly for me the band has helped with my hunger issues. I no longer feel like I am starving all the time! I used to eat non stop, I was hungry 24/7---not anymore! I feel in control, and it feels awesome!!!

You do have to work with the band. It does not do it for you. We call it a tool----but it makes it doable! With the help of the band, my weight has steadily dropped....enabling me to lose over 60 inches off of my body!!!

Go with your Dad to a seminar or 2---you will learn a great deal about Weight Loss Surgery--usually they cover more than one kind. You can help him decide what is for him, and what to expect from each.

Support is key---and it sounds like his is already there!!

Your Dad is a lucky guy!!

Welcome!

Kat

Bryan,

Kat gave a very thorough answer to your questions. I just want to add that I think you are terrific for doing this research to help your dad. You will find the vast majority (if not all) of the people on this site are lap band patients at some stage in the process (still deciding, waiting for approval, post-op etc). You will find an immense amount of information here.

If you are confused where to start, call your insurance company to see if this is a covered benefit. If it is, then they can direct you to providers (surgeons) in your area. If not, and it is self pay, you can look in your local directory for bariatric surgeons. The next step will be to attend their seminars and determine who you might be comfortable with. It can be a lengthy, but Very worthwhile process!!

I wish you and your dad all the very best. I am glad you found this site!

Many surgeons do not do the band surgery in a hospital, but rather in their own clinic. That might make your dad feel more comfortable, if hospitals make him nervous.

I'm about to hit my -100 lb mark, and have had no complications thus far.

Not everyone has great success with banding. It does take work: you have to make good food choices and get in some moderate exercise, but of course those are the cornerstones of any healthy weight loss program.

I'd ask your dad: what is it that is causing the overeating?

The band is an excellent tool for people who just never seem to feel satiated. You know, you eat a big dinner and then an hour later are munching on chips. Soon after, you're hungry for some ice cream, and then out comes the can of nuts...

With the band, you feel satiated after a small amount of food. There are sensors in the upper part of your stomach that signal the brain you are satisfied/full. The band goes around the upper part of the stomach, so when you eat some solid food, it will sit there long enough to trigger those feelings that you've had enough. That feeling will last a few hours after eating, and food just doesn't call to you in the same way as before.

That's not to say you don't have to work on "head hunger" issues, if you are someone who loves chocolate, say, or has a habit of munching while watching TV. Those sorts of things we have to work at overcoming, but it's definitely easier with the band than without. Counseling can sometimes help us change those other things.

Also, the band doesn't help with drinking your calories. So if someone drinks a 6-pack a day of beer and is hesitant to give that up, the band might not be the best choice. liquids run right through.

Very good answers thus far!!!!

Dad has to want it... and that it the main thing.... you can wish and talk and prod....... but until they want it for themselves it won't do a bit of good. (My mom and step dad are the same... they want it, BUT I've heard no less than 100 excuses) now they are saying 2009... but just roll their eyes and don't really listen when I talk specifics...