Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tore my stomach

I was banded on February 27, 2008 at Hershey Medical Center. Everything was going really well for the first couple of weeks. Then I suddenly had a lot of pain and restriction. I have yet to even have a fill at all. I went to Hershey's ER and they did NOTHING. I saw my doctor, she put me on liquids and sent me for a upper GI. Nobody called me about my test results so when I went back to my doctor and had her check, she said things were moving through ok but I apparently had torn my stomach. I ate pizza the day the pain started, but I also lifted 20 40-lb bags of pellets that same day, so I'm not sure what exactly tore my stomach. I guess my point is, please be careful. Even with a wide-open band you can do damage. I've set myself back months in the fill process, not to mention putting myself through a lot of pain. I still have pain every time I swallow and I can't begin to eat or drink in the morning. Please don't think because your band is not yet filled and you feel no restriction that you can do the same eating and lifting you did before. Very dangerous. My doc said this could have been life threatening.:thumbup:

So sorry to hear what has happened. I still ask my husband to lift and carry heavy items, I have had laproscopic surgery before so I knew to be careful longer than they tell you. I your recovery improves. How is Hershey, we are from York, have a home in Rehoboth Beach Delaware but had to move to Houston Texas 4 1/2 yrs ago and really miss it there. We do come back in spring and summer, I stay in July and august since I dont work, I will be looking for a lap band Dr to take over when we re locate back. Good luck

I really like my Dr. (Dr. Rogers). She's very careful and seems genuinely concerned. I would highly recommend her if you come back to the area.

thanks for the Dr. recommendation, I have her on my list in my notebook I know keep for lapband,

My friend had dr. Rodgers due her lap band and she hasn't had any problems and she has had her band for over a year. I am from Central Pa and had my surgery done in Harrisburg at Community General. I went to the Weight Loss Clinic in Harrisburg and Dr. Justin Rosenberger did my surgery and he is awesome. Wonderful bedside manner and very sincere. Totally knows what he is doing....perfectionist. I have been banded since 11/19/10 and have lost 34 lbs so far in 67 days. I am totally happy with my Dr. and the clinic. Going back on Feb. 21st for my second fill. I have a 10cc band and currently have 4cc's in it. Feel like I will be at my sweet spot after this next fill. Good luck to you!