Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losing?

I was wondering if ya'll felt okay with how fast you are losing? I seem to be stuck, and it's really starting to bother me. I have had one fill so far ( it was Horrible, passed out twice). I have been yo-yoing between 3 numbers for weeks now. I walk 3 1/2 miles 5-6 days a week, and I know I have made a few bad food choices, but know I am eating MUCH less than I used to. I do choose fish or chicken almost everytime. I was just wondering if you all are happy so far. Am I just impatient? I mean the reason i chose the lap-band was so i could lose a bit slower and tone my body as i went, but, I thought it would come off a little faster than this. Any advice, thoughts, anything? Thanks

Ann

It's impossible to keep a low calorie intake and good exercise schedule (and that walking is GREAT exercise!) and not burn fat. But one thing that might be going on is that you're eating more than you think. Are you journaling your intake, recording everything you eat and drink, totaling the calories and Protein? I think that'd be a great first step.

Ann ,, like you I am losing slowly... I walk eat right and only lost 13 pounds since March 6......... I get agravated but keep reminding myself the slower the better..... hang on.

Hi Ann:

I think it is rotten to lose slow. I am not losing that fast at all. How well do you know your body? By that, I mean that counting calories doesn't work for me. I have tried it multiple times and it just doesn't seem to work.

Counting carbs does work for me. When I sat down and thought about it, I came to this conclusion. Since then I have been counting my Protein, liquid and carb intake. I think it is making a difference. I also agree with Fenton that it is a good idea to document all that you eat and drink. There is a cool website called www.thedailyplate.com which makes all that very easy to do. I actually keep a little notebook in my purse and before I eat, I jot down what I am eating, how much, what time.

But.....as I say that.... I also think it is a matter of perspective. You have lost 23 pounds. That is wonderful! I have read some stories of slow losers on the "slow losers' thread and there are some folks that haven't lost that much in a year. It sounds like you are doing everything right! I would also try to count the NSV - non-scale victories. Can you fit into clothes you couldn't before. Does your seatbelt fit better? I have started to tuck my shirt in my pants. I am sure that there is something other than the scale which is showing your success!

I wish you well! I hope the scale moves for you soon!

first, i want to tell all of you that you are doing a great job!

with that out of the way...i must tell you not to lose the faith! i lost 17 or so lbs pretty fast after surgery in march 2006. i maintained that loss for over a year...no additional loss/no gain. i was really beginning to doubt whether i had made the right decision. i stopped counting calories and grams of this and grams of that. i started eating a very normal diet of the foods that i typically enjoyed...only in a much much smaller quantity. that is when my weight loss took off. to this day, i will not count calories, etc. i eat what i want, in moderation with the help of my band. i listen to every peep my band makes. when it is time to stop eating, i stop, when i am hungry, i eat. if i crave ice cream, i eat a single serving...and guess what, now that my body has a new expectation for serving sizes, if i am inclined to eat a double serving of icecream, it makes me ill...literally...i get sick to my stomach when i eat too much. the band has truly modified my behavior.

good luck to everyone. i know, firsthand, how frustrating it can be to live life as a turtle, especially when all of the rabbits are speeding by, but rest assured...slow losers are not alone in this battle. you guys will do great!! keep doing what you know is right!

Thank you all so much! I have not been journaling but will start today, great idea. I do see some difference in my clothing so that is a NSV. Thank you all so much for the great advice and the inspiration.

Ann

Ann,

How long before you noticed a difference in your clothes because I have been banded 2 weeks now and having a hard time fitting in my clothes meaning they are tight as before being banded they fit fine. I have lost 18lbs so far but were lol... I don't know

I actually started to notice before band on pre op diet, but more the past 2 weeks. Some shirts I wore before are now lose on me. woohoo. I read on here some where that it is not uncommon to actually gain at first, but the losing will come. Best wishes.

Ann

Hi Ann, I myself thought that I was not doing that well until my doctor came in and told me that I was doing great. I also had to remember that I have lost more in one month than I did all last year on ww. So Celebrate every success. I know there are going to be many more for you and everyone. :cursing:

Ann, I'm a slow loser too. It's discouraging a lot, but when i do see that scale creep down even if only half a mark, i'm thrilled.

I do log my meals and activity, when i remember to, on fitday.com; but i hear that the dailyplate is better, i just signed up with fitday first and didnt want to start all over and lose my information from fitday.

my mom has always said i do not have any patience, so it is hard for me to be a slow loser. but we just gotta hang in there!

Hi. Okay so I was banded on 2/27/08 so I am ALMOST a march bander.

I am a wishy washy loser.

I will lose then lbs at a time then stop for three weeks. Seems to be the way my weight loss goes.

Just as a comparison I wanted to throw that in there. I try not to worry about it because my DR. has actually told me not to diet. He says eat til your full, and just eat Protein, then veggies, then if there is room eat carbs... I try to do this...for the most part.