Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another May 1st Banding Story

I just read Freedoms banding story and loved how positive it was. Basically I had the same surgery experience she did.

The morning of the surgery I wa so hungry...I was glad to be getting this done. The nurses were so cheerful and careful with my IV...numbing my hand first and everything. There was no pain at all for that, and I am afraid of needles so I really appreciated that.

They gave a dose of what they called "happy juice" which supposedly relaxes people until their turn in the OR. Well I am VERY sensitive to medications and I dont remember anything from that point on until I woke up after surgery.

My first thought was that it was hard to take a breath in, but the pain wasn't terrible. I had to wake up and walk around and pee before they would release me. I was sore...kind of like being kicked in the gut by a horse...a little breathless, but really not bad.

I had a 45 minute ride home that I remember being miserable for, but once I got home and took my pain meds I felt so much better.

The day of surgery I had awful shoulder pain, but by the next day that was gone.

Today is day three and I'm doing great. I wish I had Freedoms family support. All I have had is merciless teasing, and everybody eating food in front of me and cracking jokes. I'm really quite sick of them.

I hope you all have as good of a support system as Freedom does.

Oh yeah, Ive lost 4 pounds already...YAY!!!

How are you doing now? You have had a few more days to recuperate. Like reading all of the stories - it helps with nerves! Having surgery on May 22nd.

Terri

i'm sooooo glad you guys are posting your stories about the surgery!! It really helps me to see whats going to happen and its making me less nervous! thanks!

Do we share the same family??? lol. Sorry they're being pains there. (And thanks for the reminder that I need to put mine all on notice.) How are you feeling now? YAY on the 4lbs gone already!!!

Hi Everyone,

Today is day 4 of my new life with the band. The soreness is just an afterthought...I dont even need any tylenol. Yesterday was so pretty here in South Mississippi that I forced myself to go out to the beach and enjoy the day instead of staying inside all day. The fresh air and sunshine did me so much good.

I did really crave a hot dog because they were cooking them out at the beach and they smelled so good. Fortunately my best friend had made a pot of Lima Beans and I was able to mash some up and eat those. I still haven't got the hang of this new eating system yet. I am letting myself get way to hungry and then want to eat things that I cant have. I am learning to make sure I have some applesauce or something with me so that I can eat when i am hungry.

My family is still a bucnch of buttheads, but hey, thats all part of the deal for me. My mean ol mom bought a pack of reeses pb cups and told me to "stay out of them". Duh. but it would be so much easier if I didn't have to walk by the stupid things all day long.

The best part is though, I have now lost 9 pounds...without even trying!!! Woo Hoo!!! That gives me something to rejoice about!!! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for listening. I know your going to do even better than me.

Way to go on the 9# weight loss! Thanks for posting your surgery experience and how you are doing afterwards. My surgery date is May 13 and reading about other people's experiences helps with the anxiety. Keep up the good work!:thumbup:

Hey JustVal! Congrats on your 9 lb weight loss!!

As for your "butt head" family, just remember that you will have the last laugh when you are looking all thin and hot!!! (and I don't mean southern weather hot!)

Hopefully they will all come to their senses and start supporting you, instead of hindering you! Keep it up!!! We are all proud of you!

:):thumbup:

Terri

Oh I am seething with jealousy that you get to go sit on the beach!!! When I lived in New Orleans I used to go visit a friend stationed there in Biloxi all the time and we'd walk about 50 yards from shore and park our butts in the 2' deep Water and drink our beers in peace. Those were the days! lol.

Nine pounds already is FABULOUS!!! Way to go girl!!! Just remember, this time next year you can feel GOOD wearing a bathing suit on the beach.

Way to go JustVal!! I was a May 1st bandster and I had to lie about my pain just so they would give me pain meds!! I wanted to stay ahead of the pain, but honestly it never got too bad.

My only bad experience in the hospital was when they gave me morphine. I had a wicked bad experience (sweating & heaving), but they gave me meds for nausea right away.....

It is 5 days out and I am thrilled at how good I feel. I still feel like I have a lot of air in my belly right below my bra line, but I am also moving a lot of air (if you know what I mean). I never had any shoulder pain and am thankful for that!!!

For all of you future May bandsters, just keep a positive attitude. I swear that was part of the reason for my good hospital experience....

P.S. I am already 8 lbs down in 5 days!!! Amazing!!!

justvalhere, i'm sorry that you don't have the family support that you need at this time but i'm happy that your surgery and the pain wasn't overwhelming for you. i think your family will come around as soon as they see how wonderful you look and feel after a few months. they will come around. i'm really happy to hear about them giving you "happy juice" before the surgery. i'm praying that they will give it to me in admissions so i wouldn't punk out before i even get to the or.

Hey beanbean - I have found that when I have had surgeries, the anesthesiologist has been more than happy to give me "happy juice" before I actually go into surgery. Just make sure you tell him when you talk to him prior to surgery that you are nervous and you want something to calm you down. Their job is to make this experience as comfortable as they can. They certainly don't want you jumping off the table and running out!!!

Take some deep breaths and ask for the "happy juice"!!! :frown: woot!

Terri

lol, terri thank you so much for the words of wisdom. will do exactly that when i get banded on may29th. thank you again.

JustVal, I am also a May 1 bandster! I am sorry you don't have the support. I really believe our families/friends do not get it unless you seriously explain it to them. I have had to sit my kids down and explain how the whole thing works for them to stop asking me "are you ever going to eat again?" or "you choose to do this" when I have the sad puppy look when they are eating something I would love to have. Once I explained it in detail they stopped. I think as time goes by and the weight keeps coming off and your eating habits get in line with the band they will see you as an inspiration to take better care of themselves. If not it will be there health loss. So, hang in there and know you will be a great mentor to them to better their health in the long run! Good LucK! Enjoy that beach! Just think of that bathing suit you'll be in before you know it!:smile: