Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any food off limits for life?

Are any foods off limits for life with the lap band? Like in gastric bypass surgery you can have no sugar, no carbonation, no alcohol.

Amy

This is debatable depending on who your doctor is. My doctor says "no caffeine, carbonation or alchohol" after surgery. Some doctors tell their patients otherwise.

The only thing I was told that was off limits is carbonated beverages. I don't miss them at all.

The only thing my surgeon said was carbinated as well. But he was also trying to treat me like a bypass patient (his main patient load are bypass) so I had to remind him a couple times I am a lap band patent not bypass. It got switched to what I can/can't tolerate and to never have carbonation again. *shrugs* Not that I care, don't care for soda's at all.

You'll find that all surgeons and their staff (dietitian) have varied advice on what you should and should not eat. But keep in mind that that's "should" and "should not" versus "can" and "cannot".

A good rule of thumb when you're first banded, if you feel that a food is something you absolutely cannot live without.........when you feel ready, give it a try. Eat it, without anything else so you know it's that food and not something else that you're tolerating/not tolerating and eat it SLOWLY.

Statistically, bandsters have trouble with breads (especially doughy breads) and pastas. The way it was described to me was that the bread forms little dough balls in the top part of your stomach (your pouch) and has a rough time trying to pass through the banded part of your stomach. Besides, these things really do fill you up. Get the most of your food. Eat nutritious things that your band CAN tolerate versus filling up on bread.

Other bandsters have trouble with dry meats (think overcooked turkey) and even bananas. It's very individual and you'll find that the tighter you are the more foods you may have an intolerance for. You won't have anything like dumping, but it generally causes pain and often results in seeing that food again.

I was told by my original surgeon I was never to drink carbonated beverages again. I swore off of them. I never drank a lot of them before, so it wasn't hard. But a root beer once in a while sure sounded good. And what if you needed something like "Alka Seltzer"? Anyway, I had to change doctors about a year out and his dietitian told me "well you're more than a year out. You should be able to tolerate carbonated beverages without trouble. Just remember that they can hold empty calories."

Good Luck,

I just saw my doc on Thursday and I asked specifically about caffeine, since there has been some differing opinions about it. He said it was fine. I do drink Decaf sometimes but it's nice to know I can have a "real" coffee if I want. As far as other things off limits for good include: white bread, tough dry stringy meats (sounds yucky anyway, lol), and pop. THen of course there's the high fat/sugar empty calorie foods. (you know, the ones that taste good, lol). Not bacause you Can't eat them, but you shouldn't eat them when you're trying to lose. Good luck to you!! :)

I had sips of coffee my 2nd day post-op and have been fine. My Dr said coffee & tea are fine, just no carbonation due to the gas filling up the smaller stomach instead of nutrition. I was never a big soda fan anyways. Maybe when I'm further out, I might try a little bit of a "flat" soda, but the sugars (real & artificial) are so bad for you......

There are a lot of different opinions from different surgeons and I think some of them are being cautious (which is good), and unsure themselves how certain foods will affect us.

Same here with the carbonation theme. It's the only thing I have "given up for good". I have to admit, I've tried it a couple of times but the bloated gassy feeling on just one glass (even after letting it go flat) is just not worth it. I can tolerate every thing else, if I chew well enough

well there is the docs list, like caffeine, carbonated drinks. but my list of foods i can't tolerate........lettuce, dry chicken, dry fish, dense bread, celery................this is my list so far. this list appears to change at times depending on my band. my band can be tempermental. i stick to ground beef and vegetables, ground sausage & vegetables, i am pretty creative with these ingredients so it works for me. plus i have focused on taking the focus off of food. that has helped immensely. g2s

It has been almost two weeks since my surgery, and I've already lost 10 pounds. I was told no caffeine too because caffeine can stimulate hunger, but that is not a problem for me in the morning when I'm not hungry anyway. I do need my 4 ounces of espresso mixed with 16 oz of nonfat milk with Splenda in the mornings. The 16 oz of milk gives me 20 grams of Protein anyway. They also say that coffee is acidic, but I've never had a problem with that, and I think the milk might take care of that anyway. Anyway, I started having my morning latte and have no intention of giving that up since it isn't caloric, and some studies have even shown that caffiene can be good for you.

They also told me no carbonated beverages because it can stretch the pouch. This doesn't really make sense to me because liquids go right through to the stomach, but I think it is true for gastric bypass patients who don't have an upper and lower stomach. The written instructions that are given to both lap band and gastric bypass patients are the same so perhaps they figured it was easier just to instruct both to do the same, but the recommendations are different in many cases. I used to have a diet Dr. Pepper every now and then, and would like to continue to have one on occasion. I may have one as a test but let the carbonation be released as much as possible.

I was also told to stay away from fried foods, but that isn't a problem. I'm in the soft foods period now and had some macaroni and cheese last night and scrambled eggs the night before and half of a California Roll the night before that. I am just having a small portion, and I feel full right away.

The biggest no-no from what I've been told is having liquids before, during, and after a meal. That will be the biggest challenge for me. They say that it washes the food from your upper to lower pouch, and so you won't get the feeling of fullness, defeating the purpose of the band. I've still been sipping flavored Water with my meals, and I still get a full sensation quickly, but I'll work toward elimination that as I don't want to defeat the purpose of the band.

My doctor's office said that I probably wouldn't be able to eat raw carrots. Does anyone know? They also told me no Ibuprofen (Advil) because it can lead to an ulcer. I thought liquid Ibuprofen would be OK, but they told me not to. I need something for those bad headaches I get with PMS.

I was told that eventually nothing is off limits but to always try it at home first!! Best to not have a productive burp in public if you can help it. There are people in the local support group who eat any number of things that would scare me and some that have no problem with diet soda and occasionally wine. Not a single one drinks beer that I have found. Some say steak is just difficult to get chewed up soft enough to be anything but painful. I think like the pre-diet it depends on the doctor what you will be told. I think it depends on the person what you can stand ultimately. I think not having it might be easier with some things than saying I will have it some times. That may be just me.

My doctor's office said that I probably wouldn't be able to eat raw carrots. Does anyone know? They also told me no Ibuprofen (Advil) because it can lead to an ulcer. I thought liquid Ibuprofen would be OK, but they told me not to. I need something for those bad headaches I get with PMS.

Ibuprofin in an NSAID, or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. NSAIDS can cause ulcerations of the digestive track. Since I have IBD, I'm not allowed to have NSAIDs, and rely on acetametaphine, aka tylenol.

My lunch, almost every day, consists of raw carrots, celery, sweet pepper, cucumber, tomatoes and lettuce with some lean meat, usually chicken. I have no problems getting this down, provided I chew thoroughly.

My doc never said anything about not taking certain painkillers. After the op, the hospital gave me soluble Panadol (a brand name for paracetamol) for mild pain and Endone (a brand name for oxycodone) for severe pain. I'm not sure what your brand names for paracetamol would be I think it is the same as Tylenol.