Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second Thoughts

Hi: You and just about every other bandster has had second, third, fourth, fifth thoughts. Fears of not eating favorite foods, fears of the unknown. This is a major lifestyle change you are making and no one can help you but yourself to make this decision. All I can say is, I went through all the doubts, fears, excitement, etc and one year later I am wishing I had done it sooner.

Thanks Doddie for your words of encouragement.

I know that I am quite an indecisive person.....I have to check out EVERY POSSIBLE ANGLE before I make any decision and I certainly have with this one.

The only angle I can't check out in advance, is how the experience of having the op. and living with the band will be for me ....and it's wrecking my head!!

I'll let you know how I get on?????

Damienne

I think this might help you... I just got back for a gastric surgery support group, and not one person there regrets having surgery. Some just had the surgery, and some had the surgery years ago. Good luck with your decision. In the end you must do want you feel is best for you.

hi, everyone!! i am totally new here. i have not seen a doctor or gone to a meeting yet. but, i just have to do something about this weight NOW!! it has gone on way too long!! i have missed 20 years of my life being so chubby. (i hate the word fat or obese, although that is what i am!)

i see some of you are on some kind of pre diet for different periods of time. what is the pre diet and why are on a few weeks and others on months?

karenIN, i am also from indiana. i live in porter county. are you anywhere near me?

i keep thinking i need to be able to do this on my own and stick to something sensible like south beach. but, i can read all about it and then not go on it. i have been on it before, and it seems like i am all excited about a diet and stick to it awhile and then fall off again. then, it is EXTREMELY difficult for me to go back on the same diet. i have pretty well used up all the different ones to go to, so, i believe lap band is my final choice.

i am just wondering what kinds of food you all eat. do you have to put it in a blender?

thanks for any info you can throw my way. i am soon to be 63. i am short and weigh 192.

have a happy day!!

Hi Buttcha

I live in Lake County - Schererville. We are only a few miles apart. I am having my lapband done at Methodist Hopsital in Merrillville, by Dr. Paul Stanish. I get my date when I see him on Thursday, July 10th

To answer your questions about pre-diets. Some insurance plans require a doctor supervised diet for six months prior to approving the surgery. Then there is 12 day full liquid diet two weeks before the surgery, with the 2 days before surgery only allowing Clear Liquids. After the surgery, it's back to the full liquids for then pureed food for a while. Methodist has seminars on a frequent basis. The date are on their internet site. The program is called ReStart. I have been doing a low carb diet during my six month supervised diet, and lost over 40 pounds so far. They say it's best to lose what you can before the surgery, because it makes in easier. I feel better already!!! Good luck to you, and keep it touch.

Edited by KarenIn

buttcha. The pre op diet is primarily to shrink your liver. It is a delicate organ that must be moved aside in order to place the band. The length of the pre op depends on your weight. By eating low fat or no fat foods for sometime, the liver looses the fatty tissues. I am sure there is a better medical explanation but this is the definition I got from my surgeon. Each clinic/surgeon has his/her own ideas about what is a good preop diet.

For instance. I was 303 lbs and was put on a no fat cottage cheese and no fat, no flavoring yogurt for 30 days. I could eat us much as I liked. After surgery, I was introduced back to whole foods slowly over a period of 30 days. Pure liquid, Puree liquids, soft foods and solids.

I am encouraged to emphasize Protein first then veggies but never more than one cup of food. I must eat protein every four waking hours. I also take supplements. THE KEY WORDS ARE CHEW, CHEW AND CHEW or you will find the food will not go down past the band and you will be in pain and vomit. It does take time to retrain yourself to eat small amounts and to chew the food but once accomplished you should be well on your way to being "normal" in your eating. Good luck on your research.

karenin, i got your message and replied, but it did not go through. i realized later that it was a form reply address. anyway, yes, we are neighbors, and we will be going to the same hospital to get the band. my address is valparaiso. we will also be going to the same doctor.

ok, what have you decided to do? i registered for tomorrow night's meeting. i was talking myself out of it today, but decided it was time to do something NOW!!

why did it take so long for you to get your band date? i did not understand that.

also, what insurance do you have and was it covered?

have you met my friend, karen k? she is one of the nurses that works with this group.

get back to me asap and let me know what you are doing.

thanks!!

to the rest of the room, i cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it is to read what others have been through. it is such an encouragement to me.

my father died a couple of months ago, and he was on a pureed diet. it kinda made me sick to see it and smell it when i fed him. did any of you have a problem eating the food that is all ground up?

i am also wondering what kind of food you eat before the surgery.

i apoligize if i am not following the correct procedure in posting. i am not very good at the computer. i am that old dog trying to learn the new trick.

Hi Buttcha

Yes, I meet your friend Karen K and she is very nice and really seems to know her stuff. She like the rest of the staff, have been very helpful.

I have Blue Cross Blue Sheild and they required a six month surpervised diet, pysh exam, and many test. That's why it took so long. I wa approved by BCBSa few weeks ago, but the required class was full. I see Dr. Stanish Thursday, and get the date for my surgery

You will learn alot at the seminar. Let me know how you are doing.

It really helps to have this website for support. It's always good to know you are not alone.

I am having the same problem right now. They have not given me a date yet, but the more I learn the more second thoughts I have. Like you, I think if the band is so restrictive and one is forced to eat less. Why couldn't a person do this on their own. I can't imagine how a person can get enough nutrition to be healthy when only eating half a cup of food. So much we don't understand until we actually do it. Just seems easier to go on a diet with diet pills than to have the surgery. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Sorry I am not very positive right now.

I understand exactly what you are feeling. I too am having second thoughts. This site is what we need. So many wonderful people who havegone before us to give us information and support. Yesterday I was seriously considering not doing the lap band. I got on this site and had a lot of response to give me encouragement. I think we just don't understand it all. This morning I am 75% yes and 25% no. Wish time would go faster. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

I am having the same problem right now. They have not given me a date yet, but the more I learn the more second thoughts I have. Like you, I think if the band is so restrictive and one is forced to eat less. Why couldn't a person do this on their own. I can't imagine how a person can get enough nutrition to be healthy when only eating half a cup of food. So much we don't understand until we actually do it. Just seems easier to go on a diet with diet pills than to have the surgery. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Sorry I am not very positive right now.

Hi Suzpat,

I was on this topic before I finally went ahead and had the surgery on June 6th 2008.....swinging with indecision right to the last minute.

One point I would like to make is that the band in place ia supposed to press on the Vagus nerve which is situated near the top of the stomach.

I read somewhere that a sense of fullness comes from the pressure of food on this nerve....or the pressure of the band on this nerve!!

I have some restriction even though i have not had a fill yet(maybe this week) but I have MUCH LESS hunger than befor I had the band and THAT means that I'm not thinking about food nearly as much as before.

That is PRICELESS!!

I am very relieved at how normally I can eat ....I was afraid that I would be very limited in what I could eat.

For the first few weeks post op my diet was mostly liquids and only gradually eating more normally.

At the moment I eat a Breakfast of porridge or muesli, something like some salad and a piece of wheatmeal bread at lunch and chicken/beefburger veg and a small potato.

I think I may have lost about 20lbs since the op. eight weeks ago. I am not in a major rush...it's great to be loosing,even slowly,rather than gaining and I want to look after my (good) health.

I suppose that I will need to return to the liquids/mushies when/if I have a fill but that will probably only be for a few days and then real food again.

The question that I have now is 'DO I REALLY NEED A FILL OR SHOULD I CONTINUE AS I AM ....JUST EATING HEALTHILY AND LOOSING SLOWLY???

MOST OF THE TIME I FEEL SO NORMAL THAT I FORGET THAT I HAVE EVEN HAD THE SURGERY!!!!!(except for the weight loss and the little scars on my tum:thumbup::):thumbup:)

Good luck with your decision

Hey I am 60 and got banded two and a half weeks ago and I am so very very happy, Took a while longer to recover than the younger bandsters but I am feeling about 85% normal. It will take time to get to 100%. I was never heavy till my 40's and 50's and yo yo dieted for years. Took a toll on my body and mind. Now this is a great tool to lose weight and if you use it carefully you will do that.

Hoping to be nice and slim for my 61st. Birthday next March.

Shamrockgirl60 I had my surgery three weeks ago. Looks like we are on the same track. I am eating soft foods now, and hope that when I see the surgeon on Tuesday I will move to regural food.< /p>

damienne Glad to hear that you made your decision and that you are doing fine. Keep in touch.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, never a 2nd thought........I go mid-Sept. and I CANNOT wait....but that is only me....the "Diet Queen" who has tried everything and this IS my answer! Be sure you LOVE your DR. and trust him and it is like when the plane takes off, your in the hands of the pilot and God! Don't 2nd guess yourself......You know what's right!

Joy

Edited by Joy1
sp boo boo