Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your sugar # in the morning, Pre & post Lapband

Hello Bandster family~!

Right now I'm taking Glipizide twice a day and Glucophage 850mg 3 times a day.

I am on the second day of Pre-Op diet. Yesterday my sugar was 167 and this morning it had step down to 152. I have 10 more days to go before I became a fully adopted bandster kid!

My doctor is thinking about putting me on insulin after surgery. I'm hoping that I wouldn't have to do that. Hopefully with my sugar # going down and down, it would stop her insulin idea.

Sorry I'm blabbing, so long story short, if you could share your morning sugar # Pre and Post band with me, I would really appreciate it!

thanks!

Edited by CaliGirl626
misspelled

Jack, I am in the the beginning stages having been accepted but still no surgery date. As with Caligirl I am so concerned about controlling BG during pre and post op diets. Can you chew glucose tablets to control lows? I considered GBS because 95% of diabetics go into remission almost immediatley but my husband doesn't care for the mortality rate so we are sticking with Lap Band. I would love to go off meds and insulin.

I have heard MANY stories of lap band patients going off meds or dramatically reducing them within short periods of time after banding... of course... you still need to watch what you eat, consume high quality carbs and Protein, and MINIMAL sugar of course.... if you eat healthy, with the lower portions, I think it is VERY possible to be off of your meds or dramatically reduce them.... DON'T LET YOUR DOCTOR PUT YOU ON INSULIN.... FIND A NEW DOCTOR if they want to! You might want to find a new doctor anyway... one that is more familiar with lap band patients if possible.

Hi everyone...

Here is an update on my sugar....

3rd day 128

4th day 115

5th day 134 <-- my fault... I went the whole day without taking any meds... Just wanted to see how my sugar will be....

My surgeon said once I have the surgery, i will not need to take meds anymore... That's fantastic since everyone know how HUGE Metformin pills are nowadays!!!

i'm so excited! I bit scared... but mainly excited!!

Another update,

In case if anyone wants to know... here are my Blood Sugar level in the morning pre-Breakfast since I started the Protein shake Pre-Op...

Day 1: 167

Day 2: 152

Day 3: 128

Day 4: 115

Day 5: 135

Day 6: 121

Day 7: 104

I am already on insulin and have been since day one. I also take junuvia. I am considering asking the surgeons office is they work with an endocrinologist who is familiar with lap band. I told my endo and he said lap bands are to easy to cheat with. Nice support.

if you are going to cheat, you will do whatever to cheat.

I do agree though that if you have a serious diabetic problems, then you might want to look at Gastric Bypass instead.

I have heard of some case where people who had gastric bypass ended up getting a lapband after though... so i don't know...

I guess you have to ask youself if you are willing to commit to changing your lifestyle before you even consider doing any surgery at all...

if you are going to cheat, you will do whatever to cheat.

I do agree though that if you have a serious diabetic problems, then you might want to look at Gastric Bypass instead.

I have heard of some case where people who had gastric bypass ended up getting a lapband after though... so i don't know...

I guess you have to ask youself if you are willing to commit to changing your lifestyle before you even consider doing any surgery at all...

I can't agree that Gastric Bypass would be a better option just because you have diabetes. I have lived with diabetes for over 25 years and have been on insulin, the off insulin when I had lost weight then back on insulin when I wanted to conceive (for anyone who does not know this - you cannot take meds like metformin etc while trying to conceive or while pregnant).

I had my daughter 11 years ago and have been on insulin since. the issue is committing to the band, not which surgery works better, because you can "cheat" on both. Managing diabetes is about the right balance of food. exercise. meds and monitoring! I am finally getting that in my thick head and have lately seen great results with my blood sugars and reductions in my insulin as well.

Go with your gut as to what surgery is right for you. Best of luck!

I can't agree that Gastric Bypass would be a better option just because you have diabetes. I have lived with diabetes for over 25 years and have been on insulin, the off insulin when I had lost weight then back on insulin when I wanted to conceive (for anyone who does not know this - you cannot take meds like metformin etc while trying to conceive or while pregnant).

I had my daughter 11 years ago and have been on insulin since. the issue is committing to the band, not which surgery works better, because you can "cheat" on both. Managing diabetes is about the right balance of food. exercise. meds and monitoring! I am finally getting that in my thick head and have lately seen great results with my blood sugars and reductions in my insulin as well.

Go with your gut as to what surgery is right for you. Best of luck!

Hi Susan,

I said that about the Gastric because the doctors that I consulted with regarding the band did mentioned that when you do Gastric, it will effects the way your body reacts to sugar. I think it's called "Dumping" syndrome. From a conversation with a person who had Gastric, she said that when she had something sweet, she would feel really sick. After a couple times of that, she stays away from sweet stuff. So that's what I mean when I said if your have a serious diabetic problems, if it's coming from making wrong choice of food (like eat bad food as a cheat) then look into Gastric instead.

Thank you for the information on Metformin, I am currently on that and my husband and I have been trying to open a baby factory for the past 1.5 years. My doctor never said anything about Metformin and getting Pregnant!! Hopefully after this I can get off Metformin and we can finally have kids....

^_______^

Edited by CaliGirl626
add a bit more details, correct mispelled words...

I wish you the best of luck in your baby making! This sounds like an exciting time for you with your band surgery coming up and the pregnancy to look forward to!

Okay, I understand now what you meant about the bypass and dumping. For me though, I never seriously considered the bypass.

Just wanted to respond the the meds and diabetes and getting/being pregnant....

I was diagnosed with being a diabetic in June 1998. Been on medication since then.... pretty mild doses..... Glyberide, then Metformin. I was not able to get pregnant and my husband and I tried ever since getting married in Aug. 97. I went through ovulation drugs, etc. In Jan. 02 my husband and I went on a high Protein, very low carb strict diet and within a month, I was pregnant. My doctor switched me from Metformin to Glyberide shortly after I found out I was pregnant. I conceived on Metformin, was on Glyberide for the remainder of my pregnancy. I never had to go on insulin, stayed on the strict diet throughout my pregnancy and had an extremely healthy baby girl on November 16, 2002.... my fastings on one 5 mg of Glyberide were under 100 my whole pregnancy. She was actually born small, 5 lbs. 13 oz.... but that size runs in my family... I was only 5 lbs. 7 oz. My friend also conceived and had two healthy pregnancies on Metformin and was also diabetic. She did have to take insulin with her first pregnancy. So, I am not a big med fan anyhow... that is part of why I am getting this surgery.... to get off my now 2 5 mg. pills of Glyberide.... but it worked for me... I think they key really is keeping those blood sugars in check and eating very healthy. My doctor said she had almost never seen such a healthy pregnancy from start to finish.... no morning sickness.... or nausea, no complications whatsoever, no spotting, cramping, no braxton hicks... nothing. Just thought I would share my story. I plan on trying to conceive again about a year after surgery (which is May 27).

Kammi in Everett, Wa

What a great story Kammi! Perhaps my information is outdated since it was almost 13 years ago that I first wanted to conceive. I guess the answer is to make sure that your obgyn is aware of your diabetes etc. and to follow her/his advice.

Although classified as high risk because of my diabetes. I too had a very healthy pregnancy. The 5 months of morning or should I say all day sickness was awful, but that did not impact on my having a beautiful baby girl.

wow, Your story is very inspirational Kammi!

My husband and I have been wanting to have kids for a while. It gets very stressful when everyone around us are having babies and we are not. I would get so stressed out and I would just cry. I don't even want to go see friends or family anymore because someone would ask us about when we are going to have kids...

It doesn't help that my husband is older than me and is an only child. His parents are getting older and they just want grandkids!

not being able to conceive is one of the reasons why I'm doing the surgery. My husband and I also want me to have better quality of life. He said he couldn't picture life without me so he is willing to do whatever it takes for me to be healthy and happy.

thank you everyone so much for your stories and wisdom. that's why I love my bandster family!!

Update of on my morning sugar the last 2 days...

Day 8: 100

Day 9: 96

So to add to the story.... I am a teacher and about 3 years prior to getting pregnant, we took in a foster son... it was actually one of my students, he was 12 at the time. We had him for for 3 years.... then he went back to his mom's about 6 months before I had my daughter... but about 3 months before I got pregnant, we actually went to an adoption information meeting as 5 years was pushing it on trying to conceive and we just thought we were never going to be able to. We didn't pursue it much as the meeting was through the state and we just weren't sure that we were willing to take on the possible difficulties and challenges with a child from the state... we had to seriously think about it. As I was a special ed teacher and didn't know if I could deal with those types of challenges 24 hours a day. Anyway..... 3 months later is too when I got pregant.... many people told us that it was because we went to that adoption meeting.... I know it was because of my diet.... and maybe other forces at work, but you might want to try to adoption information meeting... get those vibes going in the direction of a baby! Also... FYI.... my husband and I were about to complete our Masters programs and were on the downhill slope of the hard work... I completely believe that stress levels contribute as well to infertility. When I wanted to get pregnant and was so upset when month after month or treatment after treatment it didn't work..... the stress level was too high. We weren't even trying anymore.... but with all the other factors... it just happened. Lower your stress as much as possible for not only conceiving, but a happier you!

Kammi in Everett, WA

Hi Kami,

I heard of that before, where someone would consider doing an adoption or some people that actually adopted a kid then later got pregnant.

my husband's job is stressful. So that could probably be a reason why. He works with computer and he keeps on putting th Laptop on his lap. I had to remind him not to do so since I've heard that heat is not very good for "lil swimmers".

Hopefully next year I will really get to Celebrate Mother's Day. I'm really looking forward to living a happier, healthier life!

Happy mother's Day!

Recap on my sugar:

Day 1: 167

Day 2: 152

Day 3: 128

Day 4: 115

Day 5: 135

Day 6: 121

Day 7: 104

Day 8: 100

Day 9: 96

Day 10: 90