Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I personally wouldn't want it below the the waist of my pants, Not my collarbone...

Mine is about 2 inches below my left side ribs, can't see it.

Doctors differ on port placement. I am a bit surprised about the amount of people who say they have one on the collarbone. Odd place for a LapBand port. The doctor would have to thread the tubing all the way up, make another incision and then attach it to a port. Why not just use one of the incisions you've already got (at the time of surgery)?

I had a port for chemotherapy last year and it was put in my right chest (under the collarbone). Even heavy, it was visible and quite palplable (which is part of the point of putting it there). That 'spot' is typically used for those kinds of ports and I'd sure hate to have someone mistake it for an implanted IV line!! Eeks! If you are one of those people with a chest port, be sure you always carry something like a medical ID Bracelet explaining that it is NOT an IV access (in case of an emergency and are unable to speak for yourself), but for the Lap Band! Good grief, that makes me nervous.

I would prefer, and have the port come through one of the incisions that was already made for the surgery itself. That is how most doctors do it. I've heard that with weight loss it can 'fall' with the weight of the skin on the belly, but can easily be revised and placed elsewhere...especially with a tummy tuck!

Love: You don't have much weight to lose. Good for you! If your doctor will put it where you want it, than go for it. I don't know how much more comfort you'll get from it there vs. the typical place. Are you wanting it there to hide the scars?

~C

Love: You don't have much weight to lose. Good for you! If your doctor will put it where you want it, than go for it. I don't know how much more comfort you'll get from it there vs. the typical place. Are you wanting it there to hide the scars?

Yes. I plan to be doing a lot of scuba diving again in the future (once I can breathe better & fit into my gear) & I hope to be wearing a 2 piece bathing suit again. Having a lump show on my chest, or where ever, would be hard to explain. Under the bathing suit bottoms, it could be camaflouged by pattern or a bow, flower, hotel key or something pinned over it.

I was recently in a class at the hospital and two of the women went around the room and let you feel their ports. You had to press fairly hard to feel them they were not visible and both these women were quite thin. Another woman in the class was the 2nd person in town to get banded and her port is lower she says it is her one regret because she has to wear elastic waist pants because jeans push close enough to her port to be painful. Keep in mind perhaps one day you will not be able to even find low rise jeans.....fashion is like that. But no matter what you do you can always have it moved I suppose.

Having a lump show

Except you shouldn't have a lump that shows, especially if you go with a low profile port to start with.

Right...I agree. You shouldn't have a lump at all (aside from the chest wall and that is only because there is so very little fat there compared to a belly). Anywhere on the belly should be sufficient and shouldn't show.

How will you explain the 4 or 5 incisions you'll have mid-abdomen. There won't be anyway to alter the approach the doctor uses to place the band. I guess I'm confused. You will have scars from this surgery and they will show in a bikini or 2 piece. The port is inside of your body. It won't show at all.

~C

Right...I agree. You shouldn't have a lump at all (aside from the chest wall and that is only because there is so very little fat there compared to a belly). Anywhere on the belly should be sufficient and shouldn't show.

How will you explain the 4 or 5 incisions you'll have mid-abdomen. There won't be anyway to alter the approach the doctor uses to place the band. I guess I'm confused. You will have scars from this surgery and they will show in a bikini or 2 piece. The port is inside of your body. It won't show at all.

~C

I am not worried about the small scars. I have had laproscopic surgery before & unless you are really, really in my personal space, you wouldn't notice them. Everyone has scars from something. I was more worried about the lump. If it won't show anyway at goal weight - awesome! :)

Oh, okay! LOL I was wondering if you'd seen some of the pics people have posted of the scars. They are kinda high up on the middle of the belly. Of course, aside from the port scar, which is longer, it looks just like gall bladder surgery scars. If anyone asks, that's what you could say!

I'm hoping that once I get to goal and am ready for a Tummy Tuck that my scars will be pulled down under the belly button area. Here's to hopin'!

Will you keep us posted? I'd like to know where you decide to get it!

~C

Will you keep us posted? I'd like to know where you decide to get it!

~C

Sure. I'll put up before & after pics in my profile.

I have a small tattoo that I am hoping he can put it under, so we will always find it without hunting / digging for it. :)

Lol, I was thinking groin, along the thigh line, ouch!

Mbanja, I dont mind answering those questions, it really does help to know individual experiences doesnt it?

It wasnt me that said my port looked like a defined muscle, I just happen to have a tiny bit of residual fatleft in the centre of my upper abdomen (weird, its quite a defined little pocket, small but there) which hides my port. Nonetheless if I raise my arms there is a definite lump where my port is, same if I am lying on my back on the beach, I like to wear my bikini (whether I should or not, lol) and you can definitely see my port. But its one of those things you really need to be looking for you know? I also have a huge dark brown birthmark on the top of my right thigh, and one boob bigger than the other (which you also need to be looking hard to spot) so why would I worry about a bit of a bump where my port is? Not to mention my hair looks such a fright when I've been in salt Water that people are usually falling about laughing at my afro, not looking at my stomach.

My stomach was pudgy but not pregnant looking. It had some nice flabby old rolls going on, but I'm pear shaped, not apple shaped, so I didnt carry most of my weight there, and it flattened out nicely with no real loose skin. But I can promise all you apple shaped people out there who have aprons left over, your butt and thighs will be looking WAY better than mine do!

Heavy I was your typical narrow shouldered, wide hipped person. I had resonably normal arms and lower legs, big pendulous boobies, but it wasnt all packed round my mid section.

Heavy I was your typical narrow shouldered, wide hipped person. I had resonably normal arms and lower legs, big pendulous boobies, but it wasnt all packed round my mid section.

Wow, that describes me exactly! So you are saying you didn't get that big apron of skin when you lost? I didn't get it the last time but I also was 30 ... it's 20 years later and I'm sure my skin is less elastic.

I was your typical narrow shouldered, wide hipped person. I had resonably normal arms and lower legs, big pendulous boobies, but it wasnt all packed round my mid section.

Anybody remember that kids game called Cootie?

I think someone played a joke on Jachut and I, and mixed up our parts, she is totally opposite of me!!! I have fairly broad shoulders, heavier arms, larger breasts---not really pendulous though--------and a huge belly. From there, I had a thin build--narrow hips, not much extra flesh on my butt, legs have remained thin....

It has all gone away but the belly.....and soon it will be gone...not a minute too soon! LOL

I have No worries what so ever that my port will be visible---like I say I would have to decompose for it to be visible!!! Ask for a low profile.

Kat

I was a typical "apple" shape when I was bigger - all torso and boobs and smaller more normal arms and legs. I didnt have rolls on my tummy though, just the big round beer belly look that some one else mentioned. I'm down to 147 pounds at 5'3" and I have to feel a fair bit for my port. I don't know if I got a low profile one to start with, but it feels like its still under about an inch of tissue when I press it. I do still have a bit of tummy fat, but nothing drastic (its here to stay I think unless I decide to have plastic surgery). I can't imagine my port ever sticking out visibly, even when I get to goal.