Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Surgery Check-In

I'm home resting....all went well....I will update later when I feel up to it. Yay!!!!!!

Yes, maybe try to stay more awake during the day....that might help. But just do with the flow. Right now, your body needs what it needs. If you're off kilter remember you've got drugs in you from surgery etc. I get on line if I'm up during the night. I play free cell until my eyes start to close. It works for me.

I have to say that in the past when I've lost, I've promised myself to never see those higher numbers again. This time, when I said good bye to 300 and then to 290, I said to myself that this time it's really going to be true. It's a lot to take in. But good.

Going out for a walk and to return a video. See you all later.

Gwenn

Well I'm back....here's a kind of short version of how my surgery went.

I arrived at the surgery center at 6:30am...did paperwork, etc. I had on this large "mumu" type pink dress that everyone gave me compliments on. LOL. Then I went back and changed into the gown and booties and hat....how stylish! haha. Then I got to the pre-op room and laid on the bed. I got the shot in the side of my tummy to prevent blood clots which wasn't bad. Here comes the hardest part of my surgery: The IV. I usually have a problem with my veins....so I always suggest to use my hand. My nurse tried twice...in both hands....no luck. Another nurse tried once...in 1 elbow...no luck again. An anesthesiologist (sp?) who wasn't even mine came by to try under my wrist, forearm, and other elbow....no luck. But he did give me a small shot for pain to keep the discomfort low. By this point I was feeling like such a loser I wanted to cry (but didn't). He then tried another vein in my hand....VOILA! Magic! It finally worked....so after 6 pokes it finally worked. So I was given the infamous "cocktail" to calm me down which took about a minute to get into my system. That felt pretty good. I was wheeled to the OR and they moved me to the OR bed. After that it was a good sleep...I don't even remember laying down.

I awoke to the oxygen mask....no real pain just tightness under my left breast kinda. They were telling me that I did a good job and everything was over and I couldn't believe it because it felt like time had frozen still. After a while the oxygen was taken off, but the IV was still going. Nurse gave me a shot of meds for pain. My incisions are glued which is cool. After about 15-20 mins I had to get up, grab my IV pole, and walk about 10 steps to the X-Ray room for barium swallow. That went fine and the taste wasn't bad. Then I walked down to the "step down room" where a large recliner was waiting with a pillow. Then my mom got to come and sit with me and they gave me a small glass of Water to sip on. I don't know how much later nurse came back and he had Loritab elixir. That didn't taste too hot, but I swished with water after. When I felt up to it I walked around a little more with the nurse, and went to the bathroom with no problems, just moving slow. A little later I started to feel nauseus...the nurse told me he could give me something for it. But I know my body and I told him I felt I was going to throw up any second and I should probably get to a sink. He said he will be right back.....and so I threw up a small amount in my blanket!! It wasn't bad, didn't feel different...but I DEFINITELY felt so much better after I was done. And I got the meds....and he said that was normal and I had nothing to worry about. I was back at home by about 11:45am. My mom got my prescriptions. At 2 I was to take more pain meds...which I felt I needed as I had slight pain by the port and small pain in my left shoulder. I took it...which wasn't bad but then I felt nauseous. I took the nausea pill which was HORRIBLE (melt under tongue) and I still don't have the taste out. I'm about to take more pain meds...I am doing okay so far. I did have a popsicle which was so tasty. I get up every hour to walk and stuff.....I've taken a few short naps. I am also doing the breating thing every hour which is kind of hard but I make progress every time. I will check on the rest of you later!

Congratulations! Isn't it amazing. One minute you're waiting and then suddenly it's an hour later and you're banded. Sounds like you're doing okay. Keep walking!

Gwenn

hi all- i'm glad to hear everyone's doing excellent. :)

i got back home last night. from the day out of surgery, i've been doing well incision wise (port site hurts just a little),no tummy pains, no hunger pains (yet & hopefully they won't come), the ONLY thing that was and kind of still is kicking my rear, is GAS pain in my shoulder! omg,friday was the worst, it felt like someone was drilling a hole into my shoulder. i have been walking around, and applying my heating pad; that does help some. as the days go by, its not as bad. :sad:

Finally! I am banded and back in my hotel room. Everything went well, if you read Enigma's post, mine was similar. I had no veins even though they poked me 54 thousand times. Oh well, just a few extra bruises. Everything went very well and I am now suffering the gas with the rest of you newly banded. I have 2 band sisters that I will be directing to this site too. They were awesome and I am so glad I met them.

Congrats everyone!!!!! I can't wait to join you all! Only today and then tomorrow left!!!

Congrats everyone!!!!! I can't wait to join you all! Only today and then tomorrow left!!!

There you are! I was beginning to worry about our Miss Sunshine!!

ok, today was my first day back to work. it went well. i bought a couple of "therma-care" heating pads for the shoulder pain...awesome,is all i have to say! everything went well :biggrin2: i can only hope the rest of my journey is as smooth!!

Glad to hear from you guys! Today was my first day at work too...on the long trafficky drive I used one of those freezer-cold packs on my stomach which was very comforting. I forgot to get a room-temp one to microwave so by the time I got a little gas pain in the shoulder I just had to work it out the best I could. My bra sits right on top of the top middle incision so as the day went on I just wanted to take it OFF!!!!! I had an extra-long day with class right after work but I survived....yay! Everyone that knows about it is so happy for me. I'm still weirded out that I have no appetite, just cravings for food. I will try to up my Protein intake tomorrow....cause today it is NOT happening!

Went for post op today and have lost 17lbs since consultation. WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!

Recovery is coming along just fine. Had the bouts with gas in the chest and shoulders. Walk...walk....walk.....that's the key!! I am sooooooo happy that I decided to do this!! I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of having it done.

i'm happy that all of you are doing well. i'm getting the same vibe from everyone about the surgery...it's painful but worth it and walking is the key. i'm also getting banded on may29th and i hope that my surgery turns out as well as yours.

the 22nd to the 27th should be fine. I went back one the Monday after my May 7th surgery and took a business trip from the 15th to the 18th and all went very well. Good luck!

Allison

Good luck with your surgery on Thursday. Soon you will be joining us May Bandsters and will have your new band! You are going to do great. I feel like a million dollars and I'm almost 3 weeks out. I have really learned a lot from reading everyone's stories, what works and what doesn't, it has really helped me recover. This is the best support that I could have asked for. Colleen

PS I'll be up in your neck of the woods at a conference next week, flying to Boston, driving up to New Hampshire!

weight.png

Edited by caminco

You know, I'm a month past banding and I still get some shoulder pain. Not all the time, but now and then. Problem is I'm not certain if it's gas or shoulder problems because I did have shoulder troubles a while back. I can't raise my arm all the way. I don't know which it is. Either way it's pain pill and heat, but I guess if it goes on much longer I"ll have to go to the orthopedic doctor and try to get some physical therapy for it. Just what I need. If it's gas, it's weird to get it once a week or so, isn't it?

I'm very envious of all of you who recup'd so quickly!!!!! LOL.

Gwenn