Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Surgery Check-In

I had those "fake" burps too, really bad at first. It almost felt like a throat spasm. It will eventually slow down and go away. For the inside belly gas, MOM helped me quite often! You guys are doing great!! I was in NO shape to even type while on my Demerol/Phenergan tabs!! And I'm glad your shouldr pain is not bad...mine was the killer for me!!

Again......GOOD LUCK,TERRI. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Gwenn

Hi all - I was banded on 5/15, and I left the house for the first time today!! I'm just now starting to feel like myself again. I had at least one day of thinking, omg, what have I done to myself?? But the pain has lessened quite a bit and is limited now to just around the port site, which sounds similar to what many of you are saying as well. It isn't really sore, per se....but, it give me sharp burning pains when I bend over and when I'm sitting in certain positions or if I try to twist my torso - particularly when trying to turn over in bed.

Also, those weird non-burps are driving me crazy too - that feeling that you have to burp, but you can't. But those are lessening with each day as well. I think I was just really, really swollen the first few days after surgery. I was really freaking out though, wondering if I'd only be able to swallow teaspoon size amounts of liquid for the rest of my life!

I'm pleased to say that I'm feeling better and better with each passing day. I'm so glad I'm able to work from home whenever I want to though - I can't imagine having to go back into my office anytime soon.

Good luck to everyone having surgery soon!

I havent been on in awhile...I was to have my band on the 1st and due to an unexpected family emergency I had to postpone until the 14th...so needless to say I was a bit depressed!!!...But I'm 7 days out of surgery now and doing fine...I just have this undeniable need to CHEW and TASTE...LOL...full liquids are for the most part BLAND...But I do love my eggdrop soup...dr said good choice..PROTEIN...He also told me I could have mashed up Beans and stuff...so I had taco bell pintos and cheese...I could only eat about 1/2 of it...but it satisfied me and YUMMMYY they have FLAVOR!!! I am down about 11 pounds, but most of that is Fluid weight...but its still nice to see the scale go down instead of UP!!!

I have noticed that some of my clothes are tighter than they were before surgery, but my husband says its from the swelling and GAS...I am also having a hard time wearing a bra...(one of my incessions is rignt under my left breast and the bras sits right on top of it)...But other than that...THINGS ARE GREAT!!!

I thought the hardest part would be preparing food for my family ( 4 kids and hubby and usually extra kiddos) but that has not been a problem so far...as long as I eat what I need to eat first I can fix them anything!!! I have even prepared a few of my favorite dishes for them without any problems!!!

SO far...I LOVE BEING BANDED!!!

Jamie in Louisiana

I am feeling great other than the darn gas!!! I still have the shoulder pain once in a while and the chest pain is a killer. I sip everything and as long as it is warm it feels good when I sip it. Pain subsides and then Im okay. If that is the only thing I have to worry about I will live with it. I was told it eventually goes away. I hope it goes away before I have to go back to work on the 1st of June. Any feedback is appreciated!! Have a great day all!!!

I'm just about a week out from my surgery. I was banded on May 16th. I'm feeling pretty good now, minus the frequent bathroom breaks. I've been able to walk around our orchard daily and I haven't had any joint pain, which is a huge improvement for me. I am having a little trouble getting all of my Water in, but I'm working on it. I don't have any pain now and I'm returning to work tomorrow. Also, I've lost 10 pounds since my surgery.

Hi Mominlov13

Sounds like you're doing great. Advice on the shoulder pain. WALK WALK WALK. In the hallway, around the garden, down the block. Walk even when it works. It will make a difference. No of days varies greatly. Mine went to a livable level after about 5 days and was gone completely in about 10 days. But gas lives on for quite a while and makes for lovely symphonies in the belly! Expect all sorts of feelings and sensations at different times of your recovery. After being here for bit, I've found out there's little that hasn't happened to others and it's all very normal.

Feel Good!

Gwenn

Hi all - WELL I MADE IT!!! I'M OFFICIALLY BANDED!! YOO HOO!!

I'm not going to say that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, in case tomorrow is hell!!

Thanks for all of your support - I even ended up having a hernia that I didn't even know I had.

Thanks again and love you guys!!

Terri :blushing:

YAY Terri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats. If you're up writing on-line, you're doing good.

I am going to give you some advise....WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK and walk. It made all the difference for me. I walked every hour (I slept at the hospital). Walk around the house, around your garden, or up and down the hall if you're in an apartment building. I did. Up and down the hall 50 times when I got home.

If you get gas pain in the shoulder it will help it go away sooner and it really makes you feel great. I promise.

Got to go now.....I need to take my walk.

I'll check in later.

Gwenn

Thanks for the advise Gwen!! I have been doing that!

Terri

you're going to have to tell me what hte "friends and contacts" thing is. I checked yes so I'm on your list (or you're on mine-not sure), but I haven't a clue what it is and I can't find anything that tells me. Let me know.

Glad you're doing well. I am finishing my first real day of mushies. Had mushed up pulverized chicken, a big of sweet potatoes and cottage cheese today. WHOOOOOPEEE!. Now let's see if it settle my stomach and bowels over the next few days. I know it all went down well and I didn't get sick or nauseus.

Take care of yourself. Don't rush anything other than keeping active.

Gwenn

I did it- I'm here- alive and sorta kicking!!!

Jessica- I am so very sorry-- You have to believe that Everything happens for a reason and while we may not understand now, it will become clear to you some day. Everything will work out for you- you really have to believe that...

I was the 1st on the list to be banded Tuesday, but there was an Emergency before me, so I had to wait for what seemed like an eternity!

Then after I came out, my hubby told me the doctor told him they almost had to pull out because I have an enlarged liver. Luckily they were able to work around it, but the surgery took an hour instead of 20 minutes :thumbup:

I was an outpatient, so about 2 hours after recovery, I went home. Man was that car ride painful. I couldn't believe it. I have to get back in the car to see if it's gotten any better. I will have a 30 minute ride to work on Tuesday! Yikes!

I am having a lot of trouble sleeping. I can only sleep on my right side, my back, or sitting upright on my couch. I wake up every 2 hours. Maybe I'm panicking a little bit? I don't really know. But I am a left side sleeper- this is not a good thing :blushing:

I had a slight bit of shoulder pain yesterday, but I just keep rolling them and it seems to go away. I use my breathing machine often and it relieves some aches too. I got on my treadmill yesterday too. Granted, I was walking 1 mph- LOL- but I still used it 3 times! This is a habit I would love to keep and plan on keeping.(only at a faster speed! LMAO)

So my tummy hurts, port side is a major pain, I have a slight pain in my chest that keeps popping up, but other than that stuff I feel pretty good. I hate the way the pain meds make me feel, but the tylenol isn't enough for bedtime just yet.

I've been writing in my journal a lot and it seems to relax me.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. It's good to know we're not in this alone and we are all going through the same things in one way or another.

I'll be in touch...

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO:wub:

Edited by Yvonne72

Sounds like you're going through all the aches and pains that are normal. My surgery was about an hour as well. In fact, my surgeon told me they all tend to run between 45 minutes and and hour and a half. My liver had a lot of fat around it (big surprise), but I've known that for a while. Most if not all obese people have that. Supposedly, that will decrease over time.

My brother in law told me the reason his surgeon has his patients on the 3 week PRE surgery liquids is to "flatter the liver". So I don't know but it seems to me that the liver is an issue all around.

Good for you on the treadmill. Listen....I am walking daily, and I'm only doing 1.5. I don't care. In the past, I've always done too much too quickly and ended up hurting myself and then quit. This time, as long as I'm losing (29 POUNDS AS OF THIS AM), I'm staying in the slow lane.

I sleep on my back- almost sitting up. Helps my back and helps me breathe. After the surgery, I slept sitting up and in a comfortable chair with my feet up. Do the pain pills help you fall asleep?

I didn't like the Lorutab. I asked for Darvocet, because it makes me feel "high" and then after a while I nod out. The other I find makes me depressed. I had to crush the Darvocet, and man, was that bitter, but it really helped.

You sound great. Take care of yourself.

Gwenn

Hi Gwenn!

Unfortunately, the pain pills only help me stay asleep for about 3-4 hours. They really do relax my whole body, which I love, but I can't stand waking up in the middle of the night. I'm going to try to stay away from napping today and just resting and walking. Maybe I've been sleeping too much during the day???

Got back on the treadmill today... 1.2 for 10 minutes LOL I'll get on again in about 2 hours...

Congrats on your fabulous 29 lost lbs- don't ever go looking for them again!!!