Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Come Fly with Me...

36746486vf8.jpg

Bandpal.

I'm so happy that your flight went so well. Was your band tight during or after the flight? Some have reported increased restriction on due to flying. I will be flying to Vegas on May 15 and I can't wait. I am very excited.

I hope you have a blast while your in the states!

I haven't flown yet, But will be taking a 8-9 hour flight in June, will let you know how that goes. I hope to sleep thru the whole thing, I hate flying

I flew to Denver and back last week. Four planes in all. Seat belt was great in three and I noticed the seat seemed much more roomy now that I was down 37 pounds. However, one of the flights (on a bigger plane) had a seatbelt that I almost couldn't get fastened. I think it might have been broken and repaired, because it seemed short. Thank goodness I finally got it. I was ready to fly without it rather than ask for an extension. Death over dishonor.

I didn't notice any changes in my band tightness because of flying.

I love that "daeth over dishonor", Foofy - you made me smile with that one. Seat belts have been my new best friend since the band. I find myself compulsively buckling and unbuckling myself! Yet another disorder to tend to.

SkinnyJill, I did notice that my restriction was up there on the flight, didn't even think about it being due to the altitude or cabin pressure or whatever. Yet another reason not to join NASA - I'd pop like a balloon!

Your new pic is great! It's great to have you back in the States and soon in Texas. Have a great trip!

Thank you SkinnyJill and Longhorn for good wishes and compliments. The trip has been as good as I've allowed it to be - it's amazing how our beliefs and emotions determine our reality, no matter what the circumstances of the given moment are. Prayer has been very important for me lately - grounding me and lifting me up at the same time.

Yesterday I managed to get together with my fourteen year old son who lives in the New York area with his mom, (my ex-wife), and also visit with my parents (I'm staying with my inlaws for the first few days of the trip). I am very close with both my son and my parents, but the distance between us makes these meetings very charged. In addition, my father has has Parkinson's Disease since the late 1970's, and is pretty incapacitated now.

Anyway, on the train on the way from my parents over to pick up my son, I was feeling sad about my Dad's condition and pressured about whether I was going to make it out to my son's house on time. Then I stopped and said - "look at the gift you've been given,to be able to in the space of one day give and receive love from the dearest and most inaccessible people in your life, and here you are raining on your own parade! " Then I pulled out my prayerbook and read the Song of Songs, the lyrical poem from the Bible which it's customary for observant Jews to read before the Sabbath. Man, just try being depressed after reading that thing. That was a great intervention, and a lovely moment. I was able to get my mind and heart back where they needed to be.

How does all of this relate to food and the band? Easy: in the past, I would have turned to two double quarter pounder meals instead of the Song of Songs. The combination of the limits the band imposes on me and the resultant weight loss along with it's positive emotional effects have brought me to the place where I am able to respond differently to situations where food was once the only recourse. When you think about it, food for me really had become a false god, whose altar I worshipped at ceaselessly. But , as ee cummings puts it so beautifuly, "(now the ears of my ears awake and now the eyes of my eyes are opened)", and I can turn to what is for me the real source of all strength and nurturing. Sorry for going on about religion, I by no means want to preach or lecture - this is just where I am at. Thank you all so much for giving me the opportunity to share with you.

Edited by bandpal

Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful post. My grandmother had Parkinson's so I understand how hard it is to see someone you love in this condition. I am so glad you are getting to spend time with your dad and your son.

How has your family reacted to your weight loss?

Bandpal,

I completely understand what you are saying about using food to nurture us emotionally. This has been my biggest problem. I started gaining weight 8 years ago during a stressful time in my marriage but the majority of the weight came on when my parents got sick. My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and my mom fell apart. She died suddenly after an infection. I lost my dad one year later. It will be 3 yrs next week since my mom died and 2 yrs for my dad this June. I gained 50 lbs during the year between their deaths. I don't even remember eating that much. I turned to food to help me through the most difficult time of my life and couldn't get the weight off no matter how I tried. The band has helped me get off most of the weight I gained that year. Now I have to work on the rest. I am Jewish as well but not that observant. My son will be Bar Mitzvahed May '09 so I do go to services with him. Whenever we sing the song for the deceased and ill, I get choked up. However, it does bring me peace.

I'm glad you were able to spend this time with your son and parents. It must be difficult to live so far away. They must have been so happy to see you. How did they react to your weight loss?

Your post was beautiful and inspiring. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

Edited by cindyg1212

Hi all, Just returned from a vacaton with several long flights. On one flight I got a "little" tight at descent and I can tell that I felt that little bit even with a not so tight band. I know it's not too tight b/c of how much went down on vacation.

I guess I had been using more willpower than I thought. Fortunately, I have a fill apt Monday and I will be sure to let them know that French bread goes down way too easily.

Bandpal, sounds like you're having a wonderful trip, the "false god" that we both worship needs to leave my life for good. Enjoy your trip and thanks for sharing it with us.

Some excellent lines you wrote, Bandpal. I can fully agree and understand the emotional eating - I still struggle with that. I'm really happy to hear you have found something to substitute that uplifts and inspires you. It sounds like your trip is going well - I am happy to hear that. I hope to hear the rest goes as well. :)

I have not flown at all since being banded. It has been a few years since I have flown, at all. I love flying...but, haha - nowhere to go!