Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I'm just starting some posts to the site although I've been reading and exploring forums for the past few weeks. I live in south Orange County, CA and I decided for sure to have the surgery yesterday after attending the surgeon's (Dr. Oliak, Orange) seminar. Plus reading all the wonderful posts here about how it's changed so many lives for the better. All my medical stuff is done except the psych eval scheduled for May 14, then they submit for insurance approval. Not sure how long that takes but I'll find out at my surgeon's appointment May 15. I'm hoping for a mid-July surgery date.

I haven't told anyone except my family and a close friend, but they all are incredibly supportive. I didn't realize how concerned they were about my weight, we rarely talked about it. Not that you can miss it, it's kind of hard to hide an extra 110 lbs! :thumbup:

I love reading everyone's stories, anecdotes and questions, especially all those nitty-gritty ones only other bandster's would know the answer to. There are no silly questions here! It's truly inspiring to hear from so many people who made their OWN decision to change their lives for the better by having this surgery. My very best wishes to all my fellow travelers on this road to wellness.:biggrin:

Hi JEM

I'm seriously considering the surgery and am planing on attending the next seminar in Orange. I live in Riverside County (Idyllwild) not too far from you. :thumbup:) What's your experience with Dr. Oliak?

Hi all! I am scheduled to have lapband surgery May 22nd and am just looking for other people to talk to and answer some questions I have. I am not telling anybody (except my husband) that I am having the surgery, but that may change as I get closer. This is all new to me, so here goes!:smile:

Hi Calif Princess - I just met Dr. Oliak at his seminar this week. He seems personable, very factual, no bs, doesn't try to "sell" the surgery. He does lap band and gastric bypass. I haven't had much contact with his office staff yet, so no comments there.

I posted on the Doctor forum page asking about him and there is a reply posted from angelface, he did her surgery. I don't know how to show that post here, but try to find it. She liked him.

I'll fill you in after I have my consult May 15 and go to a support group meeting. Check out his website too.

Good luck - let me know what you decide.

Hi tmfritts - new here myself and trying to get the lay of the land. From browsing around on this site it looks like there are forums for each month for people getting banded that month. They may have some great info there if the other forums are any indication.

Best of luck to you! I'm hoping to have the surgery in July.

Edited by NewJEM
typo

Thanks JEM! I called his office yesterday and they said because I have an HMO and they are out of network that I couldn't use my insurance. :thumbup:( I called my insurance and they DO cover the surgery (Yay!) but I Have to find a dr. in our network....sooo off to my primary dr. on the 16th to get a referral.........I have a feeling this is going to take a long time.

Melissa

Thanks JEM! I called his office yesterday and they said because I have an HMO and they are out of network that I couldn't use my insurance. :wink2:( I called my insurance and they DO cover the surgery (Yay!) but I Have to find a dr. in our network....sooo off to my primary dr. on the 16th to get a referral.........I have a feeling this is going to take a long time.

Melissa

Hi Calif_Princess...

Check to see if Ninh Nguyen from University of California Irvine is in your network. I cannot say enough good things about my experience with him. If you go to www.obesityhelp.com and search for bariatric surgeons in California... you'll find his name and my review is posted there under John S.

If you are lucky enough to find that he is in network, please PM me and I'll give you more information about me. I have a great relationship with him and his staff. He has very dry humor and is a kind of stiff when you first meet him.. but if you tell him that I told you about him I'm sure you'll be able to cut through that very quickly.

Please accept my best wishes and hopes for a speedy approval regardless of who you choose!