Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone... I suppose I will introduce myself. I am 28 and my surgery is scheduled for next Friday, April 15th. I start my liquid diet tomorrow... bummed out about that one.. but I will suffer through it.

I have finally decided to take charge here.. My 29th birthday is next month, and I am giving myself this birthday gift that will last a lifetime.. i hope.

I am 5 foot 2 and weigh in at a staggering 224 pounds... My goal weight is 130.. My doc is Dr. Barker from Mesquite, TX... sooo nice.. i almost choked on air when he said, "I think we will stop when you get to 130"... just the thought that 130 is a stopping point... that 130 is even attainable.. wow. I also have 49% body fat... O M G.... just a chub on 2 legs currently... yikes

Currently, I have no other comorbidity problems... and that is a blessing. But, before I get some, I am having the procedure.

I am nervous and excited at the same time. I wonder how long it will take to lose 95 pounds?

anyway.. just wanted to say hi and I will be around more!! I need some moral support and I think I found the right place!! See you soon! My new exercise regimen begins too... dont laugh but it consists of Dance Dance Revolution on Playstation 2.. you would be surprised how much FUN it is to exercise with that thing.. it even counts your calories! I am just an old child i guess.

Anybody have any suggestions for my week of liquids?

I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. It seems like once they actually set the date, your nerves will be shot until the surgery. I know mine were! As for the liquid diet, I am a bit of a fruit junkie, so I would buy canned fruit and puree it. I think Del Monte makes a carb conscious brand of fruit sweetened with Splenda that is really good. The pre-op liquid diet will definitely give you a chance to get really creative with goodies that can be turned to mush in your blender. Don't worry, you'll do great!

Hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery will be quick. congrats on getting your band and keep in touch on how your doing. And remember its not how fast you lose that 95 pounds it's the fact that your band will be there to help you KEEP it off!!! We didn't get over weight over night so just get that band and be patient you will get there!!! Good Luck!!!

Just think you will be thin for your 30's.I only wish I knew about this at your age Iam 36 and looking forward to be a slender 40 year old.You have made such a good choice.You will be young enough to wear all those lovely cloths that are out.You make sure you do wear all those cloths that people say fancy wearing something like that.THEY WILL BE JEALOUS.

All the best of luck...

THis is the very best Birthday Gift Ever!!! Your gonna be just fine & your less than a week away! Good For you- Happy Surgery & happy healthy healing!!

Congradulations !!

I can relate to everything you wrote. I am 34 years old and would like to have this weight off by the time I am 36. This is a very expensive present I am giving myself because my surgery will be self pay. My surgery date is April 20th so I will soon follow your footsteps. I have not been put on a special diet before surgery but I know you will be fine. You have come this far so I know you can do it!

Congratulation, WOW your day is coming soon. I was on a liquid diet for 15 days before my surgery and thought I couldn't do it. But I did and never cheated once. I kept thinking that the Dr. would know and cancel my surgery. :) Everything went great! I even lost 11lbs before surgery!! :D My liquid diet was very strict. only 3 cups of milk a day, 2 cups of all natrual apple juice, 3 sf jellos, sf popsicles, 2 sf fudge bar. That was it! I could have all the popsicles I wanted during the day. It was suppose to be a 10 day diet but my surgery was postponed a few days. I made it and so will you. Just think of the new you!!

I love my band and call it my new best friend!!

Good luck!

Dallas Doll,

Welcome to the club! I just joined a couple of weeks agao and could not have found a better bunch of people to sound off to and get advice from! I too am in the DFW area. I got my band Thursday and I have to tell you, this was my first surgery I have ever had and I am doing great!

My advice on the liquid diet is the same thing my doctor put me on, Myocel. It is made especially for people who are having weightloss surgeries. Some other Bandsters are getting theirs from GNC or the store. You just have to try and see what you like best. E-mail me anytime, who is doing your surgery?

Hi Tammy!

My doc is Wade Barker in Mesquite. He is very nice and we chatted it up a bit.. we have some things in common and that made my experience easier with him

He didnt really direct me to anything in particular. What exactly is Myocel? is it a powder or what? is it at GNC?

I have been reading all these sites on obesityhelp about people with the AGB... I am wondering if anybody actually gets to the goal weight after this surgery? Dr. Barker seemed unphased and like I was totally going to be 130 pounds... but now i wonder. The gastric bypass people seem to lose tons of weight, and I know that they lose it faster and 5 years out the AGB folks are comparable... but... do people really lose all their weight with the lap band or just around 60% excess weight??

just curious... i really want to reach 130 pounds but i am afraid of being stuck at 156... i got that figure off of the graph dealie on that website..

anybody have any ideas?

Welcome!!!

Great choice of a birthday gift!! I wish that I had done it at your age!! The liquid stage will go by fast, soon you will be looking back on it!! Good luck to you!!!

Welcome and good luck with your surgery. What a great B-day present! The liquid phase will pass quickly and you will be banded before you know it! Good Luck and don't forget to come back and post about your experience when you feel up to it.

They say people usually lose 50 -60 percent of their extra body weight I guess it is just how diligent you are about sticking to your new way of eating.