Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unusual question - not sure where it goes

Hi guys! I've gotten such great support from this site! I thought I'd try asking a question that I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer - who know's?- maybe my situation isn't as unusual as I think. My husband uses wheelchair because of chronic progressive MS. He needs help transfering to and from the bed and toilet. He can't dress or bath himself. I' having my surgery on May 7 and the doctor said I can't bend over or transfer him for two weeks. He only weighs 140lbs (Yeah, we're the Sprats). We're going to increase the personal care assistants hours for 2 weeks but that seems like a really long time. Does anyone else have expieience with care-giving after banding?

Your doctor sounds like he is being 'generous' in your case! My doctor wouldn't allow me to pick up anything heavier than 10# for 4 weeks. 2 weeks seems like the bare minimum to me.

My doc made me wait 6 weeks, and I don't think it will slip your band, but, can pull stitches which could lead to a slip or pull stitches in your port and make it come unattached... and this is speculation, but my port was flipped early on so I had to have another surgery.. and I was cleaning my house 1 week post op and I shouldn't have been. I was bending over, etc. I can't help but wonder if that was part of it. I thought I was taking it easy, but hindsight is 20/20.

My understanding is that you will be able to bend as soon as it does not hurt you. It is just a result of the swelling in the area and the incisions needing to heal. You probably will bend before you lift. I also am not to lift more than 10# for at least 4 weeks. My doctor is very cautious when it comes to lifting, though. He, unlike most, recommends not doing any weight lifting exercise for 6 months!

Hmm, good question - I moved about 6 weeks after my surgery and my doctor made me promise to take it easy with the packing and moving and all of that - and that was just lifting boxes. I would say see how your recovery goes (some people heal better than others, etc) and when you are at the two weeks that your help would be finished see how you feel but I would definitely consider extending the help a bit if possible. You are going to all the hard work of getting this band in and becoming healthier, you don't want to jeopardize anything if you can avoid it.

good luck!! :smile2:

In my opinion it's all a matter of what you need to do within reason. I have an 18 month old daughter and 2 days after surgery I was picking her up and carrying her because I had to. Now, when I say within reason...obviously my 20lb daughter and your 140lb husband should not be compared but two weeks sounds reasonable. I'm a week out and still pretty sore in the port area and can definitely tell when I've been nending/lifting/stretching too much.

I have a friend who runs a restaurant business. She slipped TWO bands lifting stuff in the restaurant too soon. She must be a real trouper, because she went back for a third time and seems to be doing well now.

I wasn't allowed to lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. My surgeon was very firm on the six weeks and at the time my son was only 13 months old. I asked if there was any way around this and if I could lift him any sooner being he was only 20 pounds. He said for my health and the long term success of the the band wait 6 weeks and no sooner. It gives your body time to heal, especially the ones on your stomach. Good luck-I know this can be very difficult, but in the end it will be worth it!

Thanks everyone. Thank goodness we'll have our PCA here. I told her about the surgery and my limitations. We can't have someone 24/7 though and I'm worried about something happening when she's not here. I want this so badly - one of the many reasons is so I can take better care of my husband - but I'm nervous about the healing process. :unsure:

Do you have any family or friends nearby that you can call on to help you if a situation arises?

Chaucer's Wench... Do you belong to a church or any civic organizations? Many times if the parishoners/members know your needs they will bend over backwards to rotate out coming to your home to help. If so, these persons wouldn't be strangers to your husband so he wouldn't feel so exposed and vulnerable. Does he have control of his bathroom needs? If they just stopped in regularly at a set time could he hold it until they arrived? Bless his heart. I know he would want what is best for you too.