Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help understand my blood test results...please!

I'm waiting on approval from Tri-Care for my lapband and my PCM did a blood test I just got the results today and they are as follows: Red blood cell count Low 3.65. Hemoglobin Low 9.1. Hematocrit Low 28.2. MCV Low 77.4. MCH Low 24.9. RDW HIGH 15.1. Platelet Count High 407. DHEA Sulfate Low 28. Bun/Creatinine Ratio High 23. Folate Low 3.9.

Sorry for all of the info!! But it's a little scary. It seems like everything is out of sync! Does anyone have any explanation? Before I had these results I completed a saliva (hormone test) last week, so before the doctor acts on these test she wants those results also. But she did give me a B12 shot and a prescription for Niferex until we get the other results back.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read all of this!

Amy

I'm waiting on approval from Tri-Care for my Lap Band and my PCM did a blood test I just got the results today and they are as follows: Red blood cell count Low 3.65. Hemoglobin Low 9.1. Hematocrit Low 28.2. MCV Low 77.4. MCH Low 24.9. RDW HIGH 15.1. Platelet Count High 407. DHEA Sulfate Low 28. Bun/Creatinine Ratio High 23. Folate Low 3.9.

Sorry for all of the info!! But it's a little scary. It seems like everything is out of sync! Does anyone have any explanation? Before I had these results I completed a saliva (hormone test) last week, so before the doctor acts on these test she wants those results also. But she did give me a B12 shot and a prescription for Niferex until we get the other results back.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read all of this!

Amy

Amy, I am not a doctor, but I used to be a nurse, and before that a lab/med-tech. Maybe I can help. It looks like you might be a little anemic. None of it looks too bad. I know that it can be really scary. Your Hemoglobin and Hematocrit should be around 12.0 and 36.5, so I bet that maybe they suspect some bleeding or anemia. As for the other values, they are just a little out of whack. Your platelets should be under 400 and so that is not a problem.

The other thing would be what symptoms you are having? Are you tired, bloody stools, vomiting, things like that. You have to look at all the information. You can't just look at the lab results, they can make it look worse than it is. Also, normal is just a setting on your dryer. In other words, what is normal for me is night not be normal for you.

Try not to worry. I know that it is hard, but try to just focus on what your new life with the band will be like!!

Amy,

I can't help a lot with the blood work except for looks like you may be a little anemic. I had lapband with tricare ins on April 3rd. I tend to be a little anemic and the best advice I have picked up to date is to use a chewable Vitamin with Iron ( like Flinstones). I started that 3 weeks after surg and it has made a difference in my energy level. Good luck.

Corry

Amy, I am not a doctor, but I used to be a nurse, and before that a lab/med-tech. Maybe I can help. It looks like you might be a little anemic. None of it looks too bad. I know that it can be really scary. Your Hemoglobin and Hematocrit should be around 12.0 and 36.5, so I bet that maybe they suspect some bleeding or anemia. As for the other values, they are just a little out of whack. Your platelets should be under 400 and so that is not a problem.

The other thing would be what symptoms you are having? Are you tired, bloody stools, vomiting, things like that. You have to look at all the information. You can't just look at the lab results, they can make it look worse than it is. Also, normal is just a setting on your dryer. In other words, what is normal for me is night not be normal for you.

Try not to worry. I know that it is hard, but try to just focus on what your new life with the band will be like!!

Thank you so much for your response(s)! For the pre-op for lap band I just had an upper GI and endoscopic and there was no evidence of bleeding. But since those tests I have had minimal, almost not worth mentioning, blood in my stools. I have started vomiting at least once every couple of days in the past month. I don't know why. I guess I just I just worry because my mother had cancer and lupus to name a few problems.

Corry-

The doc gave me a prescription for an Iron supplement. So I'm hoping that will help. Good luck with your new band and Congrats!

Thank you both for your help!

From what I understand, (I am a nursing student) ANY blood in the stool is abnormal, I think that you should mention it to your Dr. Good luck with everything!