Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seminar - not so excited now

I went to a seminar last night on bariatric procedures. The doctor spent the least amount of time discussing the lap band procedure. He spent more time discussing gastric bypass - which I am not interested in. Well, during the discussion he said lapbands are not good for "sweet eaters" because you cant have sugar, milk, or alcohol for the rest of your life. I asked him afterwards if that is true - because to me it doesn't seem like a way to live the rest of your life. He said this is a last resort - and no sugar because then you will have cravings for it. He also said his patients have fills every month for the first year. One question asked by someone at the seminar was regarding the amount of food eatten at each meal - the doctor responded 1-2 ounces! This just doesn't seem reasonable to me.... that's nothing.

I am not sure this is the right decision for me... I was so nervous/excited about the seminar and then came home feeling this may not be the best option for me. Can anyone share their experience? I may try a different lap band doctor to discuss this with. :confused2:

WOW i must say this post just floored me. I would check out a different doctor to see what his/her view is. I can personally tell you that i have had sugar/milk/alcohol since being banded and im alive an kicking! Ive also never limited myself to 1oz of food. Dear lord who could survive on that. Granted each doctor has different rules and requirements im sure but these sound on the far end of extreme!

He spent the least time on it because it brings him least profit.

Find another doctor as he pulled your leg. You can have sweets. It won't harm you.

But with any WLS, you ...and it's YOU.... have to make better choices in life.

But let me tell you...I had a soda today. Had dental work including a wisdom tooth pulled and since I can't eat...I had a coke w/ tons of ice...felt really good.

Frankly, don't go to a car dealership to find out if you want to buy a car! They are just salespeople....just like doctors. This is business.

Do the research on your own...go to those meetings and find some support group meetings as well. After you decide you want the band...then go shopping for a doctor.

Good luck!

i think you might need to shop further for a more POSITIVE attitude where the Doc is concerned. Bypass is more expensive that might mean more change in his pocket if you choose that over the Lapband..

Absolutely... go to a different seminar and talk to different doctors. I just got banded 5 days ago and already I feel like it was a great decision.

Absolutely find another doctor to check out before making a decision. The band is a tool to help control quantity. Although sugar isn't good for you I agree that it is unrealistic to think we'll never have another piece of cake!!! What the band will do is keep you from eating the whole cake instead of a small piece. Don't be discouraged there are lots of physicians out there that are good at this. Find one at a hospital that has a certified bariatric program.

Good luck!!!

sharon:)

That's exactly what my first seminar was like. I was going to give it up. I was not ready to give up dairy forever and this dr included meat with the restrictions. I knew I couldn't do that. I decided I had the wrong Dr. and tried another seminar. That was after reading about the things people can eat on this site. I learned more here. My second seminar was a lot better and I liked the Dr a lot better too. I wonder if we went to the same Dr. Are you in WA State? I would try another seminar and another if you have to.

Good Luck

Carol

I think you should attend a different seminar. I went to a seminar and felt that the doctor didn't have all his facts so I opt to attend a different seminar and I am gald I did. Some doctors really push gastric bypass but maybe it's because they have not performed as many lapband procedures. Visit a different seminar before making your final decision. I was band Oct 30, 2007 and I love my band. If I had it to do over I would.

I went to the seminar and I know they are not all the same. But the Dr's who did them in Boise Idaho were great. It was Dr. Robert Cahn and Dr. Anderson. Very imformative. Such a great question and answer period. He answered questions for about an 1 afterwards. Even people went up to them afterwards.

I definately think you should look into more, I do know that with the bypass you are suppose to limit your sugar so that you dont have the dumping syndrome, and that some people become lactose intollerant with the bypass too...so it sound like the dr was trying to sway everyone towards the bypass...the best thing you can do is do more research online and think more about it

Carol...YES...I am in WA state...St. Francis Hospital seminar! Who did your surgery? All, thanks for all the info... makes me feel better already. I am going to my PCP in a couple of weeks to discuss. I did think the doctor may prefer to do gastric bypass because it is more profit.

Edited by MargieM

Definitely consult another Doctor. I have been banded 5 months now and can still eat anything that I want, including sweets! Only now if I have any sweets it is in moderation. I absolutely LOVE my band. /This was one of the greatest decisions that I have ever made!!!!!!!!

I saw Dr Oh first. then Dr. Srinkanth. I really like him. I think he used to be with Dr. Oh. I haven't been banded yet. I just found out my insureance requires a year of diet and nutrition stuff first. I was so dissappointed. Where are you in WA. I'm in Yakima.

Carol