Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Questions...

Hello. I'm about to have my surgery in 2 weeks and I'm quite naturally curious about several issues so hopefully I can find the answers here.

First, for those of you that have lost the weight, is the port identifiable under your skin? I have a mental image of seeing a small circle protruding from some part of the body where the fill port is pushing from the inside out onto the skin. Hopefully this is just a crazy, paranoid question but I might as well ask.

Second, I'm looking to get into a boxing class for conditioning and weight loss or getting back into Martial arts because I really need to improve my flexibility (I stick to exercising better if I'm in a regularly scheduled class environment of some type).

The boxing class does not allow blows to the head but body-blows are acceptable. Same for the martial arts classes. Considering I'll have a port near/at the surface of my skin, should I rethink my exercise choices and take up Yoga instead?

I'm not thinking of trying to do this in the next week or two after surgery - more like six months or so (or what ever the doctor recommends). I'm just wondering if anything changes as a result of having a port...

Thanks, Mike

My answers below in blue.

First, for those of you that have lost the weight, is the port identifiable under your skin? I have a mental image of seeing a small circle protruding from some part of the body where the fill port is pushing from the inside out onto the skin. Hopefully this is just a crazy, paranoid question but I might as well ask. I'm down about 175 - 180, still have 30 - 50 lbs to go. So far my port is not visible, but I can easily find it by touch. Where mine is placed, I'm not sure it would be visible unless I actually became underweight.

The boxing class does not allow blows to the head but body-blows are acceptable. Same for the martial arts classes. Considering I'll have a port near/at the surface of my skin, should I rethink my exercise choices and take up Yoga instead? I was an avid Aikidoer pre-op, but gave it up post-op. For one, the port area is sensitive to the touch, even when you're healed. Not to the everyday touch, but direct pressure smarts a bit. I talked to my surgeon's nurse about this and she thought I was crazy for even thinking about it. It amkes sense, a direct hit could do some damage.

I'm not thinking of trying to do this in the next week or two after surgery - more like six months or so (or what ever the doctor recommends). I'm just wondering if anything changes as a result of having a port... Women mostly find that some sexual positions become uncomfortable. I take it "Mike" is not used in a female way. :biggrin: Some people have their port placed in an area where it does show, so they either deal with it (I have seen them to where they show through clothing), or seek revisions to low profile ports. If it's something you're concerned with, maybe talk to your surgeon now about a low profile port. Can't think of any other times that my port is even something I remember I have...

Hope this helps.

Wheetsin,

Thank you for the detailed response... I kinda figured it would be a bad idea to do any contact sports but I had no idea how deep the port was placed instead the body (surmised that they might use an extra-long needle to fill it(?)). Thanks again...

My port is getting more and more visable, i posted question on here few weeks back to see if others have the same problem,apparently can be swapped to a low profile port later if necessary. Mine sticks up and actually protrudes if i lie down and go to roll over. started at 204lbs, now 137lbs.Am five foot four.

My port does the same thing. I was so nervous before my surgery I didnt think to ask for a low profile port as I did not have alot of wieght to lose. do they swap them out for free? if not is the cost still pretty high as for the original banding??

My port does the same thing. I was so nervous before my surgery I didnt think to ask for a low profile port as I did not have alot of wieght to lose. do they swap them out for free? if not is the cost still pretty high as for the original banding??

good question,hope someone will answer for us.