Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crab bake...BAD idea.

With my first fill I could eat just about anything and have NO problems. I just had my 2nd fill a week ago and have now have 5cc in 14cc band. So, yesterday my husband and I wanted to go out to our fav chinese place. I LOVE their crab bake and I thought ooohhh I have been doing SOOO good I want to try it. Plus I though crab and cheeze good Protein :lol:

Anyhow I took 3 bites and got this AWFUL pain in my chest. I though uh oh...I'm about to throw this up....I ran to the bathroom and sure enough up my food came.....it really threw me for a loop bc up until now I havent had that prob. Anyway it scared me enough that I have gone back to soft food......so I guess no crab bake for me. I dont even want to think about trying meat.< /p>

I feel your pain. Ihaven't been banded yet, but I recently had my nutritionist appointment. I was sooo sad to see that I would have a hard time eating seafood other than fish and scallops. I really expected that my main source of Protein to be from seafood. Except fish, I hate it, but its apparently great for bandsters. Have you had any issues w/ shrimp at all?

I have to ask this question,

exactly what is crab bake at a Chinese restaurant. I never heard of Chinese food and cheese being an ingredient.

Just curious, live on east coast up a ways, brandyII.

HA, our chinese rest has some non chinese food items on their menu...they even sell pizza....which is good you know for ppl who love chinese food and ppl with them dont. crab bake basically is just crab meat topped with cheese and baked...pretty simple but very good.

I did return the crab bake and tried peel and eat shrimp....did just fine....but at that point I was so upset that I cut it into microscopic bites so that there was NO way I would have probs.

Kaninag,

Where I live now there are Chinese restaurants that have buffets that are half Chinese/half Italian, I'm used to living in an area where there was actually a Chinatown and really miss the good food there! Although that crab bake sounds good!

Don't give up on crab bake. What may make you PB one day, may not the next. Just cut up in tiny bites and CHEW, CHEW, CHEW.

That's really weird about your nutritionist telling you not to eat seafood. My surgeon told me just the opposite. That fish and shell fish was the BEST Protein option for me. I eat it all the time. Since we live on the coast, I was delighted. I have to have it moist though. The two times I've been stuck have been on dry fish and dry chicken breast meat. Matter of fact, my DH and I boiled up a batch of blue crabs this past Saturday. I ate crab for two days and lost 2 pounds!!

.That's really weird about your nutritionist telling you not to eat seafood. My surgeon told me just the opposite. quote]

Mine too. I eat shell fish / fish at least 3 times a wk & though I have to chew slowly when it comes to crab; shrimp/lobster/crawfish/mussels/clams go down w/out any problems, I'm even having grilled shrimp salad for lunch today.

Some people I've ready have some difficulty - I've not had a bad experience yet when indulging....should give it a try.

Our bands are very fickle - one day you can eat something and the next day you can't - and everyone is diff too.

I am lucky I can eat almost any food (haven't tried a sub sandwich just cuz I know that's too much bread) I eat shrimp, scallops, crab, steak, pizza (rarely) steak, chicken, pork, rice, Pasta etc

Key to eating - small bites (size of pencil eraser) eat slowly and chew chew.

But I have had problems when I eat too fast and don't chew and my bites are too big - old habits can be very hard to break especially when you sit down to a meal and you are hungry...

My nutritionist also told me to watch out for seafood...but I LOVE SEAFOOD and it is really good for you so I am trying to see what I can and cant eat. I was REALLY hungry when I started eating that crab so you're right I prob didnt CHEW CHEW CHEW and I tell you that has been my biggest habit to break....I'm a nurse and have gotten used to having to down my lunch in 5 min or less but I cant do that anymore...but I have gotten so used to eating fast that this is really a challenge for me but its a work in progress!