Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adolecent Lap Band?

i got this surgery done when i was 19, and i do have to admit that this surgery does take a toll on a person psycologically, and i wish i had been better prepared for it. this is something that you need to live with the rest of your life and the person would have to ome to terms with that, and i know that i am facing a hard time with that.

I feel two ways about it, firstly that it would be a wonderful thing to be able to at least save some of a young person's years to be young, carefree and happy, but that also not every teen would be psychologically mature enough to really understand what they were getting into.

But I guess overall I do feel about the age of banding the same way as I feel about qualifying BMI - why on EARTH should you have to wait till you have a really serious problem before you have to do anything about it? So I guess I'd want to see it treated on a case by case basis.

I think of myself as a teen, I didnt have that sort of a problem back then, but I was always dieting and exercising, and I looked after myself pretty well becuase I knew I had a tendency to get fat. I think I could have handled a band.

I agree with Jachut, why wait till its out of control ? But its also something alot of adolecents aren't ready to handle. I would LOVE for my daughter to want the band but I know she isn't prepared for the changes she would have to make to have one successfully. Heck I can't even get her to take Vitamins daily without a fight. lol Or lay off the rameen.

But I have known some that would have done fine with the adaptations. I think its a individual thing. Some kids can some can't.

I think it depends on the individual and if they are mature and truly understand the ramifications of the new lifestyle.

For me, those years of growing up obese can never be regained. I will never know what it would be like to be a "normal" weight in school and in my early 20's. So, would have loved to have the opportunity to have this and I probably would have, if it were available.

ok, i had the band when i was 15 which i know is very young but in my case it was life or death.

I think if the kid is in a bad way health wise, has tried other methods to no avail then maybe...i must say i am still adjusting to having been through something like that at a young age and im now 22. At the time i did understand what i was getting into but it was hard.

In the end, if it saves a life then who am i to argue but it is not something that should be done without a LOT of consideration and research.

The other hand, it is sooooo hard for kids to control their intake, they dont generally have the understanding or willpower.

I also think that they can always have the fill taken out should they find it difficult and then have it back in when they are older if nessesary.

Just my opinion, i do not regret the surgery but it was HARD

Bel

I have to think.... Is a teen psychologically ready for all the negativism and heartbreak of being ostracized for being fat? That has to do a number on your head to, when you see all your friends and classmates dating, going to the prom, wearing the latest styles, participating in sports, hanging out at the beach in a swimsuit, etc. I think it depends on the maturity of the individual teen. I was very mature for my age when I was a teen. My parents even let me go away to Greece as a foreign exchange student. That required a lot of me as a young girl, and as a result I too think I could have handled being banded had it been necessary then. I was what the boys called, "voluptuous". Slightly on the plump side, but no where near needing a band. I was extremely independent, responsible and head strong. Not all young girls are. If this is being considered, I think extensive psych evaluations would need to be done first.

I really think it depends on the kid, and their parents. A teenagers maturity is only going to get them so far if they don't have parents who can also be responsible and supportive.

totally agree with you marimaru - without my parents i couldn't have done it, that simple