Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

food lover, scared of failure

hi, I am from michigan. I was approved by bc/bs 2 weeks ago and awaiting my surgery date. I am so afraid that after all the work I've done to get this far, that I am going to fail once I get the band. My will power when it comes to dieting is ZERO obviously, or I wouldnt be here! and I LOVE to eat. This thing better be made of steel. I am so ready to lose the weight, and have been on every diet known to mankind, but when I saw little to no results after a couple of weeks, I'd quit. I know your only supposed to loose a couple of pounds a week on a diet, but why is it that I can gain 10 over a weekend!!!!!!!!!!lol anyway, wish me luck cuz i'm gonna need it.:w00t:

kblades, Welcome and I wish you the best with your band. It's still just a tool, you're going to have to do the work to keep losing once it's in place but, I was like you. I tried so many diets and did well the first 3 weeks...then the 4th I'd hit a plateau and if I was "good" I tried another week...if there was still no loss I'd give up and end up gaining anything I lost back plus some. My thoughts for myself with the band was...I always did good when I started a diet only to lose that momentum after 3-4 weeks and gain it back...with the band, there is no going back to that eating again so it will keep me motivated to keep going, to break that plateau. It's definately helped me..I'm far from a perfect bandster but, I'm happy I did it and never regretted it. So keep the positive mindset that it's a tool, it's going to help you make better choices and eat less even if you did make a not so good choice :w00t: Take any bad days and put them in the past and move on to the next day trying to make it better and you'll do just fine.

Good luck with surgery.....we're here to support you!

Hi there! I'm just starting the process myself.. with a little setback because of some miscommunications with the surgeons office. I have found from the months of just reading on this site that we are all pretty much in the same boat. I actaully freaked out thinking of all the "food I wouldn't be able to eat".. how bad is that! This has actually made me face just how much of a food addict I am. I'm starting to do some weight loss stuff on my own as I wait for my communication problems to be fixed. I've used this site to help myself and educate myself and also learn that I'm not alone!

Hi - I am new to LapBand Talk - My name is Sarah - I live in the Thumb Area of Michigan. I am 37 and a single mother to a wonderful 16-year-old daughter. I am hoping to lose 100 pounds (or maybe a little more!) with the Lap Band surgery.

I have everything done and am awaiting my surgeon to review my psychological evaluation and then submit for insurance pre-approval - the bariatric center estimated that it might be a month or two before my surgery is scheduled. I'm super excited and can't wait to get this ball rolling.

I have been overweight my entire life - looking back at old photos, I see that I began gaining weight in the 2nd grade; however, I did not become morbidly obese until my 20's. I have such a food addiction that I, too am scared that I will still fail even with the lap band. I have become very conscious of my eating habits and attempt to be more mobile over the past 5 months, but have done so with NO weight loss whatsoever. I have decreased the junk food intake, increased the Water intake, and make sure to eat a healthy Breakfast EVERY day; still NO weight loss. I also will start a "diet" all gung-ho, swearing to myself that this time is IT - I will lose this weight - and then 3-4 weeks later, I'm sick of it and I'm seeing/feeling no results and I quit. So many people know I am planning the lap band surgery. If I fail, I will die of embarrassment.

At my psychological evaluation, the psychologist told me that he believes my morbid obesity is 100% attributed to severe psychological issues and that from my MMPI test results, it's obvious to him that I am unaware of what these issues are. He told me that if I do not do some "work" and figure out what they are, I will come to him in 3-5 years, severely depressed, most likely suicidal, and weighing 25 pounds more than I do now because I will fail even with the lap band. That was a hard pill to swallow. He confirmed my fear. It is VERY possible to fail at weight loss even after surgery. I don't want to be that person! The psychologist suggested that I read Dr. Phil's book "The Ultimate Weight Solution." I am also seeking a therapist (hopefully I can afford it!) to help me sort out these issues.

I have also struggled with the decision between Lap Band surgery and the Roux en Y surgery. Has anyone else been indecisive? What was your deciding factor? Has anyone else had to contend with "psychological issues", etc.?

I have been banded for about 6 weeks. It gives you a new excitement. Or at least it has been for me. Once you start loosing it is great. I have a state of mind. Is this really worth eating or is it more important to lose weight. Congragulations Michigan for being approved. Remember everyone here is to support you and your decision. When I get discouraged I come here and read some ot the posts.

I love food - it was my best Friend - I turned to it every night - to comfort me - something to do when I was bored.

Then I go banded - as I was tired of being fat - I was tired of always being hungry and feeling deprived - I wanted to improve the quality of my life (I had no energy and would sleep my weekends away) I also wanted to extend they yrs I have left.

I still love food and can eat most any food as long as I follow the band rules - small bites - eat slowly - chew chew.

The change has been now I eat healthy meals (low fat sugar free) and I am full and satisfied - I allow myself treats every now and then - but the diff is that it's a small piece of something and not the whole thing.

I still have a friendship with food - but it's not longer a love affair

I call my band my interior motivator - it's a great tool that helps make my job of changing my unhealthy eating habits easier.

Don't get me wrong - it's sure and the heck is not the Easy Way Out - as you still need will power and self control - They have banded our tummies but not our brains and IMHO alot of our problems with food are more mental than physical..

Good Luck on your Journey...

Hello All!

I'm with Indio Girl 55--I'm looking at banding because I'm tired of being fat. I've tried everything except the prescription weight loss drugs and have minimal success. I have been a vegetarian for 18 years so in theory this shouldn't have happened but it did. I even went vegan last year and lost a couple pounds and that was it. I exercise at least 3 hours a week, too, so I seem to be doing all the right things but am not seeing any results. I see the surgeon on May 6th and we'll go from there. Thanks to whoever set up this board. It's an awesome resource.

Indio, love your words of wisdom. I can't tell you how much it means to hear from thoes that have gone before me on this journey. Thanks so much for sharing. Becky

Indio, love your words of wisdom. I can't tell you how much it means to hear from thoes that have gone before me on this journey. Thanks so much for sharing. Becky

Becky

With the right mental attidute and the help of the band - this is so doable. I am always saying that 75% of the work is up to you (mental and exercising) and the band does the other 25%.

I will give you a great example - I wanted pizza last night - really was craving it - so my GS ordered and I gave myself permmission to have 2 pieces - I had one and was full - The leftovers are still in the fridge - and doesn't bother me at all. I'm Done with the pizza..

Last night was my 2% (I eat healty 98%) and I am going to the gym this morning - mostly cuz I couldn't go yesterday..

I am feeling so much better - heck it's Sunday and I have been up since 5:30.. Tells you the energy level - heck I use to sleep my weekends away.

Good Luck on your journey - if you have questions just ask we are here for you...

That is good to know that I will still be able to have an occasional treat without feeling that I have to eat the whole thing. I know it will be awhile before i will be able to eat pizza but it is nice to know that it is not totally off limits. I want to live in the real world without restictions or feeling deprived. It will be so nice to have my little tool that will help me feel full. I don't have that now. My mother put me on my first diet at 12 yrs and I have spent my whole life sneaking food and eating in private. My whole relationship with food became so sick from that time on. I just want some control back. I love your attitude about food and lifestyle. You seem like you are balanced and healthy......GOOD FOR YOU! And thanks for the support and inspiration. Becky

That is good to know that I will still be able to have an occasional treat without feeling that I have to eat the whole thing. I know it will be awhile before i will be able to eat pizza but it is nice to know that it is not totally off limits. I want to live in the real world without restictions or feeling deprived. It will be so nice to have my little tool that will help me feel full. I don't have that now. My mother put me on my first diet at 12 yrs and I have spent my whole life sneaking food and eating in private. My whole relationship with food became so sick from that time on. I just want some control back. I love your attitude about food and lifestyle. You seem like you are balanced and healthy......GOOD FOR YOU! And thanks for the support and inspiration. Becky

OMW Becky- They had me on a diet when I was like in 3rd or 4th grade - with some liquid medicine - Yep I started sneaking food too - I think alot of us fat chicks are closet eaters.

The band will give you control back - as Jack says this is not a diet - it's about eating healthy - and yes there are no off limit foods - Read this months Self magazine it has a great article about women and our eating disorders..

It's taken me 53 yrs and major surgery to finally get it.. But at least I got it before it was too late ..

Thanks again - call on my anytime you have a questions or need to talk ..

Janet

Wow Jack, That is fantastic.....I am looking forward to kicking that "dragonmonkey" too!! Thanks for the very uplifting words of encouragement. Becky

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm really new at this. I have not had the band yet, it is still a few months away but I'm looking forward to the day I have that new tool to help me.