Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lansing Michigan just getting started on the journey and need advice

Hi. I am just getting started with the lap band procedure- going through Sparrow. I was surprised at how many people from mid-michigan chose to go to Flint or Port Huron when Sparrow was in town. Can anyone tell me why- maybe there's something I don't know here that I should be aware of with Sparrow. At this point, I'm awaiting insurance approval- Blue Cross, and I hope it's not going to be a battle. My BMI is 45 and I have GERD, hip and knee problems, and borderline diabetic, so I need this surgery. I was real skinny all my life, but in 1999, after having 2 kids in two years and a hysterectomy, I quit smoking for good and it was all uphill (in pounds) from there. I've tried every diet known to mankind (although I didn't keep detailed records like I'm supposed to provide for insurance approval because I thought each diet would be the magic one!).

I haven't told anyone except 2 friends that I'm looking into this. My mother would be really worried that I'm doing this, so I'm not going to tell my parents until I am all approed and ready to go so they have less time to worry. I am, after all, 49 years old.

I am recently divorced and ready to start a new phase of my life, after spending the last 10 years of my life watching from the sidelines as my kids grew up, unable to participate in most of their activities because of their weight. When we went to a Water park this winter and I couldn't get off one of the rafts, I was so embarrassed and that was a real wakeup call to how this weight is inhibiting me from enjoying my children fully.

I'd love to hear from other michigan banders!!! (and others, of course)

congratulations on all the life changes. You know what they say - living well is the best revenge. I've loved being in my fifties. I think you'll find it's a whole lot of fun.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Hi! I am not in Michigan but welcome and good luck. You can go to tickerfactory.com for those buggy things.

Happy to hear from you. Good job for quitting smoking, I did too!

hi, i'm from jackson, and I also have bc/bs. I am going to ypsilanti to the barix clinic. my doctor said thats the only place she would refer me to because thats all they do! I do know a girl who just had the band done at sparrow. she is doing great and is very happy with them though.

blue cross sent me through lots and lots of hoops, but I was approved about 2 weeks ago. I am just waiting for a date. it took me about 6 months from start to my approval. no 6 month diet or anything like that, but my bmi is only 36 and I needed lots of testing to find something wrong with me so I could get approved. I am 5"9 and weigh 239, to me it may as well be 400lbs, but to alot of people its not enough for surgery.

anyway, they found out that I had sleep apnea, so thats what got me in. best of luck to you.:w00t:

Hi there.............I'm from Gregory, Mi. I wqs banded last summer in Tijuana by Dr. Ortiz. I go to Hillsdale for my fills. I am down 80 pounds so far with about 60 to go. I know exactly where you are coming from about doing things with your kids. I'm interested in getting together with others who have been banded. This site has been a lot of encouragement to me but a support group is better. You're from Lansing and the last poster is from Jackson, I'm halfway between the two of you. How about we all get together some time and chat?

Hi! Welcome to LBT. I am from Jackson as well. I am in Lansing everyday, I am an MSU student. Go Green!

Anyways, I was banded at Hurley Bariatrics in Flint. I love them! I have lost 160+ pounds, going for plastics at U of M in a few days.

I didn't know Hillsdale did fills....wow!

I don't get fills anymore though....

Hi! Welcome to LBT. I am from Jackson as well. I am in Lansing everyday, I am an MSU student. Go Green!

Anyways, I was banded at Hurley Bariatrics in Flint. I love them! I have lost 160+ pounds, going for plastics at U of M in a few days.

I didn't know Hillsdale did fills....wow!

I don't get fills anymore though....

A little off topic, sorry.. but Boo Boo Kitty, I will be getting banded at Flint hurley also, Can you tell me was yours covered by insurance?? If so did you have to have deductibles/copays up front before the surgery or when you got the bill?? thanks

A little off topic, sorry.. but Boo Boo Kitty, I will be getting banded at Flint hurley also, Can you tell me was yours covered by insurance?? If so did you have to have deductibles/copays up front before the surgery or when you got the bill?? thanks

Insurance covered mine. I had tp pay 25% but I was billed. I think it is all different. My insurance has an allowable amount, therefore they had no idea what my portion would be until AFTER surgery. So I was billed. My friend had to pay her co pay up front. I think it is all dependant on what you have!

Good luck!