Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

understanding food addiction

I have been thinking about food addiction lately. I see it as any addiction. When I am in pain (physical or emotional) for that very small moment food (especially sweets with fats like whipping cream!) takes it all away. The pleasure it gives me fills and comforts me. I stayed around 120 until, at 36, I found out our 2nd child had autism. I started eating whatever I wanted and I continued to eat for the past 18 yrs until I reached a high of 236. Nothing mattered and food took the pain away for that short time. Then it became my way of dealing with other stresses. For that very short time it took those discomforts away. I was wondering how others interpret food addition. I would love to hear and learn from your thoughts.:confused2:

I have heard addiction described as follows: Continuing the behavior even though there have been severe consequences.

I think food addiction is about being...filled up. We can't get full on other things, so we turn to food.

It's there for us when we're happy, sad, depressed. When we want to Celebrate, when we need to cry. Ahhh....sweet (and savory) food. This is what it means to have food as a best friend, but it's not a healthy relationship.

I just wrote a blog about this...still not sure how all that blogging stuff works...but I digress.

I think food addiction is very different from other addictions. If Im addicted to meth, and I decide to stop, I NEVER have to do meth again. I never have to hang out with people who do it, I never have to see it, smell it, watch others enjoy it...but with food, its different. I know Im addicted to food, but I will always need it to survive. I can never stop altogether. I think thats why the band (and other surgeries) are so attractive to food addicts. Its a way of making ourselves keep at least some sort of control. We will have serious physical affects if we binge, or gorge on any kind of food. Its a consequence that is more palpable than just getting fatter.

Im trying to consider my surgery as a break up with food. We've been buddies, confidants, enemies, and back together again for so long...its time for me to realize that there is no realtionship worth saving with food. I know its a change in mindset...and Im just waiting for that "Aha!" moment where me and food can co-exist without getting into eachother's way...

A

I can relate to your addiction. I have a son who is addicted to drugs and I ate myself into oblivion to ease the pain. The cool whip, ice cream, etc. does soothe the hurt but it is only for the moment. We have to have something to soothe us. The food is it. The autism is not easy to deal with, and I have not learned yet that if I eat or do not eat the situation will still be there. One would think after loosing 115 pounds and having plastic surgery, I would stop but now I started again. My son is home from rehab and relapsing so the pain is there. Food helps, but I am trying to realize it is only temporary. I feel your pain. I do early intervention with autistic infants and use ABA methods. I wish there was a cure but the more we try perhaps we will reach our wishes one day. I am in your thoughts and wish you well.

Fran

I agree with you but I have son who was away for a long time for a heroin addiction. Home now, he has started using alcohol and other drugs so isn't an addiction an addiction? Be well.

Fran

Hi Fran. It sounds like your family is going through some tough times right now. I am so sad to hear about your son.

I worked in a methadone clinic when I got out of college. I also have a cousin who is trying to be a recovering meth user. He has times when he does well but it seems lately he is losing the battle. His health is bad, teeth are bad, and he is very thin. When he is relapsing he will take anything not tied down to fund his addiction. Addiction is an odd thing whether it is heroin, meth, or food and trying to deal with extreme stress and sadness makes us want comfort. I liked what you said about learning that the problem still remains after overeating so it is not a true fix of a problem.

We found out about our daughter, Melissa, at 20 months. She is now 21 and a young woman. I love ABA. She had her best progress with it. I think it would have been great for her as an infant. I wish we could have accomplished more. She is a very sweet young woman, she travels well, and is pretty laid back. She functions around 2 years and loves picture books and for me to sing to her.:angry:

Fran, you are strong enough to handle this. You have already lost over 100 lbs. Talk to your doc. I'm sure you are not the first patient who has had to deal with a crisis situation. He/she may have other suggestions. As has been said to me in the past, " You are handling it right now so concentrate at the moment and know people at LBT care. I look forward to hearing how things are going.:crying:

Tina