Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, not sure what to do. I feel like I am at my last straw if I want to see my 3 boys graduate from high school. I want to know from the start to finish what the surgery consists of. The good and the bad. You know the tv shows only show the good parts. Is this really a nightmare? Help!

skipper from georgia

Hey, not sure what to do. I feel like I am at my last straw if I want to see my 3 boys graduate from high school. I want to know from the start to finish what the surgery consists of. The good and the bad. You know the tv shows only show the good parts. Is this really a nightmare? Help!

skipper from georgia

You have to make the decision based on all information you can find. As with any surgery, all people react differently and heal differently. You cannot diminish the risks as the Lap Band is surgery, but for many, it is life altering. Be an educated consumer. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving, reading up on any recalls, etc. Scour this website and others. Be sure you know what you're getting yourself into. It hasn't been easy for ANYONE on here, but for most, it has been worth the effort. Good luck with whatever options you make. Welcome to the website. I'm sure you'll find people very informative. :thumbs_down:

Also, check with your insurance company for coverage information. Finances do play into it a lil bit, more than I'd like to see.

EVERYONE STRUGGLES. From reading this site for more than a year, everyone has lil issues here or there (PBing, Sliming, Tightness, etc.), but it seems most of the problems are while you are learning how to eat again after the surgery (caused by eating too quickly or not chewing enough).

IT IS A MOUNTABLE STRUGGLE. Unlike struggling through 6 months of Atkins where you're just gonna gain the weight back, this is a VERY surmountable struggle in the beginning that leads to a life long change.

I kind of view it like getting a tattoo. I spent 7.5 hours in EXCRUCIATING and CONSTANT pain to get something that was/is gonna last the rest of my life. Kind of weak comparison, considering the benefits of a tattoo versus lap band, which just proves my point. The little bit of struggle is legitimized by the life of good health.

This is my opinion from reading this site. I spent two years deciding on this surgery. Aside from the risks the previous poster talked about, you should know that while you're getting used to the band, life sucks. They call it bandster hell around here... day by day it gets easier.

I will be banded in 14 days.

skipper from georgia

Hello my fellow Georgian! Welcome to LBT!

This is a great site to do your research. You will find lots of info here. Make sure you go in the complications forum and you will see some of the bad there. Everyone is different though, some have a harder time than others.

In whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

Where in Georgia are you from?