Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Low Blood Pressure!!

This site is such a wealth of experience and information so I'm coming to y'all :biggrin2:

My blood pressure has been dropping like crazy. At my highest I had fabulous blood pressure 120/80. After 6 months it was 100/65. I would get a little lightheaded but I could cope and no longer just pop out of bed.

Yesterday, my blood pressure was 80/45. I'm dizzy and light headed quite a bit now. I can't just get up out of my chair without being extremely careful. I get dizzy if I roll over in bed. Sitting on the couch - slightly reclined I get dizzy and can't focus on my computer. I've come close to passing out during exercise but haven't (yet).

At 6 months the doc just told me to eat more salt (:thumbs_down: woohooo!!). I eat lots of salt! I'm trying to be better about drinking fluids and make sure I actually get Gatorade for working out rather than just Water.< /p>

Does anyone else have these issues? What are you doing to help?

Gen (wombat)

Ok, time to go back to the dr. That is scary low.

Need to concentrate on staying hydrated. It's a bad thing about us bandsters, we often don't drink enough Water.

Also, cut out anything that could be a diuretic like anything caffeinated!

Are you on blood pressure meds? Probably not since your bp was never that high.

Need to see your doctor right away tho, you could pass out somewhere and really injure yourself or others (like behind the wheel of the car).

Thanks Karen (is it that obvious I'm avoiding the doc?)

No I'm not on blood pressure medicine. I have 1 cup of coffee in the mornings - I'm fine with giving that up if I need to. I've never been a big drinker of anything so it's really difficult for me to get liquids in. I've been nursing my current bottle of gatorade since 12:00 and I have about an inch left. (it's only 20 oz)

I guess I'm going to call and make an appointment. My biggest fear - is that they tell me to gain weight or to stop losing weight.

Gen

Thanks Karen (is it that obvious I'm avoiding the doc?)

Uh....yeah. :rolleyes2: I'm going to adopt the scolding mommy pose now.....

My biggest fear - is that they tell me to gain weight or to stop losing weight.

Yeah, that's so not going to happen. They may want you to slow down a little if you are losing really fast, but probably not even that, to be honest.

They need to figure out what's doing here, you know?

When I Google the causes of low blood pressure, it can be some scary stuff.

But I'm wondering if it's dehydration for you and since you tend to low/normal blood pressure anyway...

Ok, thus ends the tough love portion of our show. You are a grown up and can take care of yourself without some 'net freak tellin' ya what to do! lol!!!

Also, cut out anything that could be a diuretic like anything caffeinated!

Actually many times a caffeninated drink is recommended to raise blood pressure.

This site may give you some useful information.

Blood Pressure (Low)

Good luck.

Are you taking any other medications? I tried topamax one time as a preventative for Migraines and it made my blood pressure really low, at its lowest it was 70/23 and that was in the ER. Funny thing is they just pumped with one bag of iv fluids and sent me on my merry way with a blood pressure of 80/40.

Low blood pressure is only a problem in healthy people if they are symptomatic. Obviously, Wombat is symptomatic :thumbup: but if you get to the point that you are feeling fine and the BP is still low, it's nothing to worry about. Until then, fluids, my dear. Lots of fluids. You can do it the easy way--drink it--or the hard way, which is wait until you pass out and buy a couple of bags of IV Fluid in the ER. And do go back to your doc.

Hugs,

Gwen

Well - so far it appears to be a combo of things - lack of food; dehydration, and a slight inner ear issue causing some of the dizzyness. I'm trying to be better with liquids- and continuing to eat all the salt I want :w00t:

I really feel fine other than getting dizzy - I even feel that has improved some since yesterday.

Bless the doc - they ordered a battery of blood tests and an EKG - And no - the didn't tell me to quit losing weight - fear is gone!!

Thank you all for your responses. I did see the info about caffeine so I have continued with my 1 cup!

Happy FRIDAY!!

Gen