Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had Cancer Treatment after banding?

Has anyone had Cancer Treatment after banding? I was banded in March 2007 and diagnosed with cancer in March 2008. Had major surgery, did fine...don't need Chemo but do need radiation. After my surgery I was having trouble holding food down so they removed my fills. I'm a stress eater and eating everything in sight. Not sure how radiation will impact the band.

Just get better! Listen to what the doctor tells you and use us for support in hanging tough! I had cancer last summer and ALL is well. I am sending you good thoughts of a complete recovery....and then, back on the BANDwagon for you!

Really, take care of yourself.

You might repost this in the General Lap Band support forum. I know there are people on this forum who've dealt with cancer (not sure how many post band), but if they aren't having any complications, they might not see your post here to be able to help you.

Hi Lady,

I am so sorry to hear about this!

I had pre cancer cells last year in my breast. Thank God we caught them early enough but I did get a biopsy and targeted radiation on the area. It was on my left breast, so above my band. They did take out my fill for the treatment because I did feel too tight. The radiation itself did not hurt my band from what we know. I was lucky to not need chemotherapy, but as I said they were pre cancer and the radiation was a proactive choice by my onocolgist. I was on the nasua patch during treatment as well as strong pills for vomitting. That was the big concern. I felt weak, but not too bad.

Best wishes to you, my thoughts are with you!

Lady,

I have cancer also. I finished chemo last year and the doctors agreed to use the Lap Band just in case I need more. They are currently talking about a maintenence dose for me, and the fact that it's adjustable is the key.

Take care of yourself and don't worry about dieting/eating for the band. Right now you need to eat for your health and healing!

God Bless

~Carol

I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer just 3 months after banding so had very little fill. I had bilateral mastectomy and lots of chemotherapy. That chemo usually causes folks to gain like 30lbs and I only gained 3 but the whole experience as well as the follow up drugs really plateaued me, it's taken me a long time to lose the weight I've lost because of it. Now I'm slipped and will be trying to get revised to bypass this month.

ask any questions you like, I have no secrets LOL

Jilligan--sending you thoughts of good health and a fast and full recovery. Take a day at a time, do what you have to do, and remember that you have friends here that care....

Judy

Thanks Judy I really appreciate that. I'm almost 5 years cancer free so that's all behind me (though I'm still mid-reconstruction on the new boobies LOL) I just am hoping like crazy that insurance will approve the revision.

Yes, I have had chemo, surgery and radiation for breast cancer in the past year. Turns out the problem I had was an unexpected reaction to the anesthesia, so I was throwing up in the recovery room for a long time, which caused a slip. The slip was repaired in November, and I'm trying to get back to my sweet spot, which is harder than I'd like. Figure I'll get there eventually. Now taking Armidex and think that caused problems yesterday, as all of a sudden I was having terrible problems keeping anything down.