Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What the heck to say? Oh...Hello!

Hello this is my first post so hello to all who may read this. I figured I would start here and introduce myself. I am Cinni and I have my first appointment with a surgeon in two weeks time to see if I can get myself on the public list here in Australia.

I have been considering a Lap band for a while now but always told myself it was far to drastic and that if I was going to go to those lenghts then surely I could just stick to a damn diet. :thumbup::thumbup::frown::eek:

Well I am now between a rock and a hard place (I feel) as diets just don't work for me. :confused3::frown::incazzato: I feel I am now faced on one hand surgery which I am petrified of and on the other hand life shortening illnesses. My health is ok now but I can see it is slipping away and problems are rearing their ugly head due to obesity.

I googled this forum and hope to become fully informed before I see the surgeon and decide to have the lap band. If I get on the public waiting list it could be a year before it gets done so at least I can do some research and grow some courage. :rolleyes:

Cinni

Edited by toocheeky

Welcome, Cinni. I'm sure you'll be able to make the right decision for you by reading and learning about all of your options.

Best wishes..

What a wonderful forum you stumbled upon!!! There is so much information available here. Be sure to check the stickies in each forum---they are full of GREAT info.

Also keep the overall stats in mind when traipsing around in here!! It may seem at times there are an abnormally high amount of complication complaints. When someone is facing a problem, big or small they come here to people who understand the band issues, and ask for help. On the other hand those who are NOT having problems, do not begin threads everyday stating they are having another problem free day!!!

Read, ask questions, just make yourself at home, and whatever you do, don't miss the before and after picture thread---talk about inspiration!!!!

Welcome to LBT!! Good luck in your research!

Kat

Hi Cinni! Welcome to LBT! It is only natural to be afraid of surgery, that's why this is such a major decision. The best thing to do is educate yourself about the procedure and your doctor before you make a decision. Also, look around here and get an idea of the changes you will have to make in order to be successful with the band.

Good luck to you and let us know how it's going!

Hi! You should check the before and after Pix in the general section if those aren't enough inspiration I don't know what would be ;)

You're already making the right choice.

I too did lots of research. This is a great forum for ideas suggestions and inspiration (see the before and after pics in particular). You may see contradictory information but with the number of people here, that is inevitable. Every body is different so the experiences will be different too.

If you have any particular questions, your Dr is ALWAYS the best resource. Consider this site as the place to hear different opinions, and as the trigger for questions you may not have even though of.

Good luck, and welcome!

Thank you so much for the welcome. Yesterday I spent a few hours reading posts and info about banding. I dare say a little spark of hope may even be glimmering after years of struggling, failing and feeling it was all hopeless. I will keep up the research and look forward to reading and posting more. :tongue_smilie:

I had a hard time making the decision to have surgery myself. When I first started thinking about it, I have to admit, it made me feel like a failure that I had to resort to surgery to lose weight. Then as I did more research and delving into myself, I realized that isn't the case at all. There are a LOT of people out there who need help and just can't do it on their own for any number of reasons. I am one of those people. The way I was taught to eat was all wrong. The way I was taught to deal with my emotions (FOOD!) was all wrong. NOw, from all those years of doing everything WRONG, my stomach is so big that it is almost impossible to control my hunger because it is always there. I am relearning all of the "wrong" things I know in preparation for the surgery. Hopefully, that will make being a success that much easier.

Good luck in making your decision.