Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Approval Stage

Hi Everyone,

I am a month away from my last evaluation prior to submitting to my insurance (Aetna). My Lap Band doctor is Dr Wright (So Great) and my Nutritionist is Julie whom I think is wonderful for helping re-think a lot of my terrible eating habits. I have taken what Julie has taught me and began practicing them at home. My sons have caught on to some of the basics and have lost a few pounds on their own. Who would have taught chewing food 15-20 times before swallowing could make such an impact (wow)? I am waiting for the day when I am told that I am scheduled for the Lap Band. I hear so much about the Lap Band and all the things I will have to change before it can be successful. After weighing this (things to change) against all the things I have had to give up and negatively gained because of the weight - I see the Lap Band as a positve and encouraging tool to reverse some of these effects.

weight.png

Edited by Teestir333

Hi Teestir and welcome to LBT! I am waiting on insurance approval myself. You have a great attitude about the changes the band will mean! I have started making some of the dietary changes too, but it really is hard sometimes.LOL Good luck to you and keep us updated on your progress!!

Tomorrow I go for my lab work and upper gi. I have an appt. with the psych. on Tuesday. I have Federal BCBS and I spoke with the bariatric nurse last week. She told me that they do not require anything but for you to be over 40 bmi and you do not have to do the psyc evaluation, nor see a dietician or have any other clearance due to federal guidelines. However, my doctor is requiring that I have the psych. clearance and clearance from my on pcp to make sure I am ok to have surgery. I went to my pcp and found out my blood pressure was high. I haven't been to a doctor in many years. So once we get the blood pressure under control hopefully I will have everything in place to have the surgery.

Here are some of the things I have done up-to-date:

Attended a Seminar (End of 1/2008)

1st Dr.'s appt 2/5/08

1st Nutritionist Appt 2/2008 (paid for out-of pocket and she is worth it)

2nd Dr.'s appt 3/2008

2nd nutritionist appt 3/2008

EGD Scope 3/2008

Psych Eval 3/2008

3rd Dr.'s Appt 4/2008

and 3rd nutritionist appt 4/2008

Prior to considering lap-band, I have had a sleep Study with a severity level of 90, I have been put on byetta injections and glucophage for type II diabetes, Crestor for high cholestrol, and to top it all off I have 2 autoimmune diseases Lupus & Hashimotos (with Sjogrens and Raynauds as secondary symptoms) - so this is a lot of medication for any person to take - so if dropping the weight means getting healthier and reducing the intake of medication than this will be a much welcomed experience. I have struggled with weight all my life and thought I had everything under control but as you can see it was just a matter of time. I am hoping for a positive outcome from being approved all the way to the actual results of the lap-band surgery. I wish everyone luck and I have put a new group of people in my prayers.

weight.png

Okay now all I need is my appointment with the nutritionist May 8 2008- then they submit my paperwork. unfortunately I gained 4 pounds and this might get me denied. I will keep eveyone posted on how things go