Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Post-Op and finally feeling a bit human!

I am very happy to find an active on-line forum for lap band patients! I'll be starting group sessions next Tuesday but this is also nice to have since I do travel a lot for my job. I was banded on 4/16/08 and hit a low last night with all the gas I was experiencing. But it helped to find the post-op forum on this site and see that this is all pretty normal and I just need to take a dramatic change one day at a time. Today I woke up with hardly any gas and the pain from the incisions has shifted to itching as they heal. That seems to be a good sign.

I had my procedure done by Dr. Adam Smith in Ft. Worth TX. He came highly recommended by several people I spoke to and a close friend of mine will be going to him this summer as well. It's been a mixed bag with his office staff, but he has always been great when I've spoken to him as well as his primary RN. Anyone else a patient of Dr. Smith?

I lost 15 lbs from the 2 week pre-op diet restrictions of no-carbs so that was mixed since I really like some carbs (pasta!) and am looking forward to adding a little bit of Pasta back into my diet every once in a while. Otherwise, I think I'm continuing to lose weight this week just because of 2 days of clear fluids and now this mushy diet. I highly recommend a Magic Bullet! I bought one right before my procedure so I could mash up Soups and such and it is so convenient and a perfect size! I'm also looking into a single-cup coffee brewer since we're supposed to start the day with a hot, non-dairy drink but hot cocoa (even with water) is a little too sweet.

Anyway, I wanted to start with the right forum for introductions and I'm looking to continue to move around this forum and learn more from established lap band patients as well as sympathize with others that are at my same phase!

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to LBT! Congratulations on your band. Glad you are feeling better today. You are off to a good start with the weightloss! Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Welcome to the forum. I'm a newly banded gal, bout a month before you. I too started feeling better after the 4th day. You're on mushy's already?? I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks after surgery. I have no experience on the Pasta front, but I am told and have read where it can glob up, get sticky and become a problem, so please tread there lightly to see how you personally tolerate it. Pasta was a weakness for me so I just choose to stay away from it now :thumbup:.

Best wishes in your recovery and your new life..... :lol:

Hi and welcome to LBT! Congratulations on your band. Glad you are feeling better today. You are off to a good start with the weightloss! Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Thank you and good luck on your efforts as well...insurance was my longest and most frustrating wait so my fingers are crossed for you!

Yes, the plan with Dr. Smith is only 48 hours on Clear Liquids and then 3-4 weeks on mushy. So far so good and I'm grateful to be on at least mushy...

And I know Pasta is one of those questionable foods now :-(, so thank you for the the reminder as I really need to think before anything goes into my mouth now...more than ever! Did you find a similar challenge with breads, even wheat?

Yes, the plan with Dr. Smith is only 48 hours on clear liquids and then 3-4 weeks on mushy. So far so good and I'm grateful to be on at least mushy...

And I know Pasta is one of those questionable foods now :-(, so thank you for the the reminder as I really need to think before anything goes into my mouth now...more than ever! Did you find a similar challenge with breads, even wheat?

My Dr.'s plan was 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks pureed/mushy, 2 weeks ground, but one can progress as they are able to tolerate. Everyone is different but it's also important to allow the healing process internally. You'll be fine, and yes, we really have to be conscious of what we eat and how we eat it. I found that out the other day and it wasn't pleasant. I finally figured out why they call it "PB-ing"(that term always seemed silly to me until I found out exactly what it meant in real life, lol) I haven't tried any breads. I've had some saltine crackers with hummus to make it more moist and I've been eating Wasa crispbread with egg or chicken salad with no problems :thumbup:. I'm just gonna stay away from regular bread, I'm not a big fan of it any ways. If you are to eat bread you should probably toast it so that it's more crunchy than soft, that way it won't get stuck :).