Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People who don't know I've been banded think I have an eating disorder!

I haven't told anyone about the band and I have several ways of diverting attention.

My first method is using my son. I have a one year old and I generally make it seem that I'm just so busy feeding him that I'm unable to eat normally. I say I'll just take the rest to go.

Another thing I do is split meals with my husband. No one has noticed that he eats about 3/4 of the meal and I only eat a tiny bit.

My last method is when I don't have my hubby or son to hide behind, I tell people I'm a weird eater and that I eat VERY small meals every few hours. The other day I could barely eat a few friest and two bites of my sandwhich and I thought for sure my coworker wouldn't keep buying my lines but she did.

At first I told no one, and actually got a ton of the "eating disorder" questions, it was quite ridiculas. I didn't tell anyone because I was ashamed. But now I tell anyone who asks. Mostly because I got sick of the eating disorder comments, or others trying to force me to eat. I will say it is completely screwed up, before people tell you that you eat too much, now I eat too little, what do they want?

I think telling is always a personal choice. I feel I was forced into it, and now when I tell people I start out with "I used to be 320 pounds." That is a really screwed up way to talk about yourself. Maybe not telling and making people mind their own damn business is the way to go!

Only DH knows - not mother, not siblings, not children, not friends and absolutely not co-workers.

My boss came into my office recently, and said 'We are talking in the office.You are looking skinny and we are curious' - the tone was less positive than you may interpret from reading it, more judgemental. My response: a smile.

Another co-worker asked "are you losing weight?" in the kitchenette. My response: I can't believe someone would ask such a personal question.

Bitch? Maybe. But she apologized for asking, and it has never been mentioned since.

My band is nothing I am ashamed of - in fact I am quite proud of myself. I just believe that my body is my responsibility and no one else's.

I haven't told a single soul, not my friends, family, kids, hubby....absolutely nobody! Everyone thinks I had gall bladder surgery and that I now have problems eating. Don't know what I'll do if I ever have to have my gall bladder out but it's working for me. I did mention the LB to a few different people and got a negative reaction. I was only 190lbs so I wasn't quite "fat enough for surgery" I'm only 5' tall and my mother died at 52 of a stroke and my father had a quadruple bypass by the time he was 50. I'm 43 and desparate to lose the weight. I have become a hermit over the last 10yrs because I gained 70 lbs after having a near fatal car accident and becoming depressed because I couldn't do the things I used to. I am limited in my activity level but the scale can't keep climbing. Whenever I see anyone I haven't seen for a long time, I get wow you put on a few! Thanks, I hadn't noticed! I can't wait to start feeling good about myself again. I love this forum. It's nice to know I'm not alone.