Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being banded this week...SO scared. Encouragement needed!

I am about to go ahead with banding, currently on Day 8 of Optifast (which is unbelievably hard, might I add) and SO, SO nervous. I have a BMI of 35, the heaviest I have been is 104kgs, currently 92 (was 95 before Optifast).

When I first found out all the info and read all the threads here, I was so sure it was right for me. Seeing the nurse and doctor only confirmed it and I couldn't wait to have it. Now I'm four days out and really starting to wonder if I should go ahead..I'm a an all or nothing girl..I can eat really heathily for a while and quite enjoy it and then completely blow out and gain 20 kgs in a year. I'm just sick of the constant battle, the never-ending diets, the wardrobe consisting of six different sizes and hating myself every day. I also want to fall pregnant and know that I must get the weight off before I'm likely to..I haven't been able to do this myself over the past six months.

Today I'm just worried about it being such a big lifestyle change, about whether it will hurt or if I'll find myself vomiting every day (I'm someone who vomits easily)..I am scared of the unkown. I need to hear from others who've felt this way and gone on to love their band.. Is this amount of anxiety normal?

TIA

xx

Guest gmoore

I was banded 2 weeks ago yesterday. I too was nervous and even was having second doubts about the surgery. I still can't tell you that I am happy I did it, as I have been sick with a cold ever since and not feeling well. I just started on the "if I can get it through a straw, I can have it" part of the diet. It feels better being able to "taste" food like Tomato Soup and similar foods. I had a few Optifast left over so I have been having those the past few days. I think having the feelings that you are having now are normal. It is a big change in our lives. But it means we are dedicated to living a more normal and healthy life than before. I am sure you will be fine and be glad you made this decision. I have not vomited nor have I even felt the least likely that I might!

Good luck to you! Geri

HI clover, I was banded on 3/31 and it really wasnt that bad. The worst part was the 2 wks liquid diet. I hated that but did lose 10 lbs in 2 wks. I woke up feeling sick and having alot of shoulder pain but they gave me something and the sick feeling went away. I too struggled with backing out. I think we all have at some point. I kept thinking of how many times I had tried to lose and lost and gained it back. I knew I didnt want to keep doing that and waste another 10 yrs of my life. I had also gone thru way too much to get there to back out. I slept like a baby the night before my surgery and got up and drove myself the 4 hrs to get there and never had a 2 thought on wheither i was doing the right thing. I stayed 1 night and was hooked up to a morphine pump so I didnt feel much pain. the next day i was driven the 4 hrs back and my stomach felt like i had done about 1,000 situps so it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I really don't have any restriction now as I have yet to be filled but i think they fill you slowly so you can get used to the new way of eating. Good luck to you and think about how far you have come and where you want to be in the next couple of years. I knew this wasnt a magic pill but I figured it would help balance out the playing field.

newbeginnings

Hi clover,

This will work for you if you make it work for you. Just like you, I had that black and white/all or nothing mentality before the surgery which stemmed from my perfectionism personality. Since I have been banded, this has eased up and part of this is bc of the band. I can't binge anymore, and the results give me motivation to keep up.

PB'ing or regurgitation is not really like vomiting, it is very different. You will just have to learn to listen to your body, eat slowly and take small bites.

Good luck!!

:thumbup:being banded is no big deal.... the worst part is the IV stick...

And then after that the worst part is not being able to eat a pizza

or all you can eat buffet... So if you have to worry about something

the thing to worry about is being able to eat a 1/4 cup of food for a meal.. Thats the real issue

I'm schedulled to get banded this week too and am getting a little nervous. I'm mostly excited to have it done, though. I think the closer the day gets, the less clear our thoughts are about the whole thing. I tell myself that I made this choice a while ago, when I was less emotional and thinking clearly. Now all of the "what ifs" come at me, and its a battle going on in my head! Kinda like the devil and angel on each shoulder, but only its the Lapband and a pizza!!!!!

We'll be fine.

I understand how you are feeling - I felt the same way before surgery. My main problem, I think, was "what if this ends up like every other weight loss gimmick I have tried?" (especially since I was self-pay and it was a huge investment) It is normal to feel all those things before such a major thing as surgery. I am 6 months post-op and I can honestly tell you this was the single best decision of my life (well, marrying my husband is up there too, and my kids!) I only wish I had done this years earlier. Yes, it was scary. Yes, there was some pain - although nothing nearly as bad as I imagined it. Yes, there are major adjustments to this new lifestyle, but if you go into it with the attitude that you will take one day at a time and do what the doctor says, you are going to do great! Get info from wherever you can find it - read everything your doctor gives you, read posts on this sight - be informed, then do what you know you need to do and let the band do what it is designed to do! In a year you are gonna be a whole lot lighter, I promise! Best of luck to you!

5 MORE DAYS!! (Including today) Exciting! My girlfriend & I want to go see The Police on May 11th. Its about a 3 hour drive to the arena. Assuming I have no complications, I should be OK enough to go, right? That' 17 days post-op. My friend is concerned about it, but from what I've read here, seems like it should be fine. I promise not to pounce on Sting! Maybe I can wear my too small jeans!!

Hi Clover,

I'm being banded tomorrow, so I'm a bit nervous. I think the two week liquid diet is just the worst. I definitely miss chicken and fish. I think the liquids after surgery won't be quite as bad because I will be recovering from surgery and probably won't feel like eating as much. I've been heavy all my life and it's nice to know that I'll be getting a much needed help in this surgery. Good luck on your surgery and remember we're all thinking about you.:thumbup:

Thankyou so much for all the words of encouragement..I appreciate them tremendously. I feel a little better today, I seem to be coping with the Optifast a lot better and not quite so scared after reading all your comments. I'm also absorbed in "The Lap Band Solution" so all round I'm getting excited :rolleyes:

Thankyou thankyou thankou and good luck to everyone else about to be banded :thumbup:

xx c

I am about to go ahead with banding, currently on Day 8 of Optifast (which is unbelievably hard, might I add) and SO, SO nervous. I have a BMI of 35, the heaviest I have been is 104kgs, currently 92 (was 95 before Optifast).

When I first found out all the info and read all the threads here, I was so sure it was right for me. Seeing the nurse and doctor only confirmed it and I couldn't wait to have it. Now I'm four days out and really starting to wonder if I should go ahead..I'm a an all or nothing girl..I can eat really heathily for a while and quite enjoy it and then completely blow out and gain 20 kgs in a year. I'm just sick of the constant battle, the never-ending diets, the wardrobe consisting of six different sizes and hating myself every day. I also want to fall pregnant and know that I must get the weight off before I'm likely to..I haven't been able to do this myself over the past six months.

Today I'm just worried about it being such a big lifestyle change, about whether it will hurt or if I'll find myself vomiting every day (I'm someone who vomits easily)..I am scared of the unkown. I need to hear from others who've felt this way and gone on to love their band.. Is this amount of anxiety normal?

TIA

xx

good luck for the surgery tia x i'm 5 weeks post op and feeling fine :thumbup:i am very similar to you by what you have said -don't worry too much about being sick etc. u will learn by experience what u can and can't tolorate -u'll be fine x claire :tt2: