Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Found out that a lap band recipient has to have his band removed. Sad. He ate what he wanted and damaged his pouch. This was what he told the doctor anyway. He ate fast food, Buns and all and it went up his esophagus and did lots of damage. I'm so sad for this man. Sad that his pull to food was so strong. Sad that his dream of being thin has crashed.

Anyway, it made my ears perk up and listen and to own my lap band, claim as part of me now, because after all it was my idea, and to not fight it as someone once said on this forum.

Just thought I'd pass it on..

You know, there is a certain amount of "bringing your flesh under submission" in other words "just say no" that we must do. But we have to remember that sometimes we need help and by that I mean counseling to help deal with the food addictions so many of us have. The band does not cure that!:)

Sometimes when I eat something like a banana or a piece of meat...I can feel the restriction because I probably didnt chew it up well enough. After a few seconds it seems to go down and go away. Is this because it is finishing going down my esophagus? Or when it goes down does that mean that it has slid down through the pouch and through the band into the stomach? I have had one fill and for the most part dont feel hungry much, but sometimes I get hungry and eat about 1/2 to 1 c of food, and Im wondering if Im eating too much because there isnt much restriction, or is it just sitting in the pouch or has it gone down to the main stomach because there isnt much restriction. I dont want to stretch the pouch!!

In the doctors office for the fill, they have me drink Water and water just gurgles and then makes me burp, but its like it has air with the water and it just kind of twists and then goes down. I dont eat much at meals and try to eat nutritious food instead of soft easy calories. Last nite I had 1/2 baked potatoe and 1 teas barbecue to go on it. It seems like that should have been way to much to eat. Im doing fair on the weight loss and have lost approx 25lbs since March 7. when I had surgery. Lately it seems like in the mornings I am more hungry that I had been and eat way too much between Breakfast and lunch, although after lunch and through supper I hardly eat anything.

I am due for a fill April 29 and need to know exactly what to pay attention to (and know I have more restriction) so the doc can give me as much fill as I can hold safely so I can continue losing. Unless there is a problem he does the fills in his office and he only had to stick me once and swallowing the water afterward, there was no question he hit the port.:)

I heartily agree with this. In most cases, the psych evaluation that most of us went through for clearance really is just to make sure that you have the capacity to follow instructions and that you are not crazy-crazy.

There are lots of us (myself included) who have issues that need to be addressed BEFORE we have our surgery. In other words, treat the underlying cause for obesity either before or during the treatment of symptoms.

I think it is crucial to success.

You know, there is a certain amount of "bringing your flesh under submission" in other words "just say no" that we must do. But we have to remember that sometimes we need help and by that I mean counseling to help deal with the food addictions so many of us have. The band does not cure that!:tongue_smilie:

I find the daily challenge of NOT overeating to be positively exhilarating!!!

I agree Jack. As good as eating that fried chicken felt, though a momentary good feeling, the longer lasting thrill of saying NO to overeating is just like you said, EXHILARATING! :glare:

Bucket of KFC chicken - $16.99

12 oz sirloin steak and garlic mashed potatoes - $17.99

Feeling that comes with not wanting to eat the whole darn thing - PRICELESS!!!

I'm not trying to cause trouble but I find it VERY hard to believet that "eating what you want" is cause for removal and believe there must be more to it than that. I eat what I want. I didn't pay $16000 to be on a strict diet! I do NOT overeat the limits of my band nor chew too fast or not chew enough or swallow too much at a time, however I do eat bread, and pizza, and anything else I want, I just eat much much less than I used too and apparently that is working for me because I don't believe in forbidden foods.

somewhere along the line we simply have to make our brain take over control of our eating elbow...regardless of the what the dragons in our belly try to tell us....

All this time and opportunity to really glut down all kinds of forbidden stuff....yet there is simply no motivation. Fascinating!!! And WONDERFUL!

By making the decision to have lapband surgery done in the first place means that you are making a commitment to not eat like a glutton and to change the way we think about food.I was banded in 04 and have lost 150 lbs so far. I have not overstuffed myself one single time since surgery and that alone made it all worthwhile. I feel bad for the guy that had his band removed ,but he never made the commitment.

I'm not trying to cause trouble but I find it VERY hard to believet that "eating what you want" is cause for removal and believe there must be more to it than that. I eat what I want. I didn't pay $16000 to be on a strict diet! I do NOT overeat the limits of my band nor chew too fast or not chew enough or swallow too much at a time, however I do eat bread, and pizza, and anything else I want, I just eat much much less than I used too and apparently that is working for me because I don't believe in forbidden foods.

Perhaps I didn't specify what I meant, according to the doctor, he ate what he wanted in the quantities that he wanted, and it seemed like he didn't make a change at all.

As far as 'paying' for your weight loss, I wish it were that easy. If that were the case then there wouldn't be any fat rich people in the world. :coolgleamA:

It doesn't always work that easy. Some people eat what they want in small amounts and lose while others either gain, or are stagnant.

Congrats on your success so far!