Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all...My name is Abby, Im a 25 year old mom in Northern California.

I just happened upon this forum in my search for banding info. I am currently going through the lap band process with Kaiser in Richmond (pre-op). Kaiser makes this a long drawn out process....I think mostly to weed out those who arent really committed.

Every day I go back and forth as to if this is really what I want/need/can commit to...etc. My BMI is well over 50, so Im definately a canidate, but Ive had a serverely bad experience with gastric bypass (my best friend died a year after her bypass surgery from heart failure).

Im just here to absorb as much info and input on this surgery and its aftermath as I can...

Thanks!

A

Abby,

as with anything in life there are pros and cons. I have been overweight my whole life as far back as I can remember, and it took me two years of research to make the decision, to no longer be obese and do this for myself and for my children. I did not want to die of a heart attack and leave my husband with two young children, so really what is the worst, fighting for thin and at least trying and making an attempt or not trying and nowing that you could have less than 10 years with your family.

And to be honest the gastric bypass, has a lot of complications in the research I have found, lap band does not have nearly as many complications.

So my advice is google and compare with either a surgery clinic in your area the two surgeries or sit down and talk with a surgeon they are your best resource.

Good Luck and I hope that I have helped. It is a very scarry decision to make. But one that you will be glad you made once it is all said and done.

Best wishes elizabeth C.

Excellent plan, to get all the info before making a move!

Do you know why your friend suffered from heart failure--was it caused by years of obesity---or in some way related to the surgery?

There are many advantages in my opinion to being banded as opposed to bypass, but I am sure the bypass patients feel the same way!!!

The biggest being we do not suffer automatically from malnutrition....our bodies utilize the nutrition from everything we eat, it travels a normal path through the body---due to that, the weight loss is sometimes slower. Although I have a friend in the same weight range I am, she had bypass a month before my banding---and while she lost quicker, we are within 3 pounds of being equal now----but my ability to eat is much different than hers. She has to read all labels, hidden sugars have caused her some seriously embarassing accidents.....one in a Target parking lot---I was there, and will never let her live it down!!! I can eat all foods, just less of them.

My personal biggest sway in the 2 surgeries is the unfill option. I am a cancer survivor, and if I ever need to I can unfill and increase my intake for nutritional purposes. This can hold true for pregnancy as well. Since you are so young----not something I am going to worry about!!!

They do draw it out to see if you are committed, but also to really get as much as they can out of your insurance I believe!!! Sore subject---sorry!!

Please, hang out, get some information--------just remember to take the numbers into consideration----there are many threads began about complications---because when someone is having even a minor problem, they want help! But when the majority of us are not having any issues, we do not start dozens of threads each day, saying we are doing great, and not having a problem!!!

That said, I look forward, to seeing what you decide to do!

Welcome!

Kat

Hey abby! Im am not far from you up north in chico,ca. I just wanted to give you my perspective as a surgical assistant who assists on gastric bypasses and gastric bandings 3days a week. I also used to assist on open gastric procedures, and my how far we've come with the laparoscopic procedures. I am so impressed by the surgeries and convinced of the benefits, that I am scheduled for a band in 8 days. This was just a quick reply, gotta put my kids down, but keep in touch and ask any questions you want!

helen

Welcome, Abby.

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. It's good that you're taking your time and reading and learning.

Be well...

Wow...thanks for the sincere responses.

I know that IF I want to go through with this, it will be a band and not a bypass. I definately plan on having more children, and my surgeon advised that the bypass is not favorable for pregnancy. My biggest problem is my boyfriend not being on board with this. He is overweight too, and I think he's intimidated by me losing. He would never get the surgery, because he loves his evening beer way too much...that I can do without, but can I never drink again? Kaiser says yes...no alcohol...ever. But those I met who have had the surgery, can drink a teeny tiny bit. Im sure this is on another thread...Ill look for it and post there :).

Thanks again...

A

Abby - Northern California Kaisers are in their infancy in regards to the lap band. I know, I went through the SSF Kaiser program and was banded 12/12/07. They've been at is a little over a year. This is why most of their recommendations and information is spill over from gastric bypass stuff. You need to do your own research so that you can peel the GB stuff away and find out what you need to do. Lap band patients aren't effected by alcohol like GB patients are. Alcohol no matter what form it is consumed in is still empty calories and if used more than occassionally will prevent your weight loss from being good if at all. But one of the nice things is you can plan a nice cool one into your day and enjoy it.

I think that the reason your boyfriend might not be on board is because he may be afraid that you won't like/love him when you loose weight. As obese people we tend to have low self-esteme. He might also be afraid that you will try to pressure him into getting the surgery. You have to decide to do this because it's what you want to do and not because someone else approves or disapproves. If your relationship is good, it will survive. If it's not good, this might be the excuse he needs to leave or for you to leave him. Only you can answer that one.

My DH was afraid for me because it was surgery and he didn't know how WLS worked. He went with me to my appointments and a seminar and learned what there was to know. He still sweated the surgery but he is so happy I'm finally loosing the weight and active again. He's been so supportive.

Sit down and write out why you want to loose weight. Put on the list how it will affect your kids lives as well. Then do a list of why you shouldn't have the surgery. Then compare them.

I'm so sorry about your friend. I am so happy that the lapband was an option for me because I think GB should be put in the category of only to be done if nothing else can help. It scares me.

PM me if you want. I know how frustrating Kaiser's programs can be from first hand experience. They are so slow because they are so overwhelmed with the number of people wanting WLS. There are only 3 Kaisers in No. Cal doing the surgeries. I think there is less in So. Cal. Until they get more hospitals on board they will be buried.

Good luck and whatever you do, do it for you.