Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does anyone know anything about a new, improved type of band?

The latest generation of band manufactured by Allergan is the AP band. It comes in two sizes. The APS holds 10 cc and the APL holds 14 cc. The difference from past bands is that the saline reservoir goes all the way around (the previous models had it 3/4 of the way around). It is also wider and supposed to be easier to remove should that be necessary.

The Johnson & Johnson Realize band is also pretty new (less than six months). I don't know as much about it, but I think that the differences between the two brands are fairly minor.

If you search the site for either of these terms, you can probably find more info about them. Both companies have websites also with a lot of information. I have the Allergan APS.

Edited by GreenChrysalis

Has anybody heard of the easyband and if so, anybody know how long it will be until it is available in the US?

My doc's office said, as of the 1st of May they will be using a new type of band that is new and improved. I found something about one of them going all the way around and one that was wider and had less chance of slippage. I am getting impatient and the office assistant said it was good that I had to wait because of this improved band. I suppose it is right, there is good in everything... even waiting!:D

The AP bands are meant to be more flexible, which should make for less slippages. That's what I was told when they replaced my slipped band with one anyway *shrugs*. Not sure if there's a newer one than those though...

Has anybody heard of the easyband and if so, anybody know how long it will be until it is available in the US?

Yep, I have heard of it. It looks a lot like the lap-band, but it tightens and loosens using radio frequency by remote control. So no need for a port or fills. Pretty cool stuff. It is available in Europe right now but still in trials in the U.S. It'll probably be at least a few more years before it's available. Here is an article about it that says that Allergan bought the company that makes it, EndoArt. So that might influence its advancement also.

Yep, I have heard of it. It looks a lot like the Lap Band, but it tightens and loosens using radio frequency by remote control. So no need for a port or fills.

That sounds quite impressive. Gotta say, even though fills take a few minutes and don't really hurt, the idea of giving them up makes me smile :cry_smile:

My inner gadget-geek thinks that the new EndoArt band looks pretty cool. They do have a point in that it could eliminate some of the issues with band leaks and port infections, not to mention help out people who are afraid of needles.

Part of me wonders about the robustness of the technology though. The manual process of injecting saline into a port is pretty straightforward. Having something go wrong with the radio receiver inside you might happen just as often as port flips & leaks, and not really lower the rate of needing to do minor surgery to replace band parts.

I was thinking the same thing, Molly.

Disclaimer: I realize that the following is over-simplification and we are not talking about cars here :cry_smile:

Remember when power windows were first introduced to automobiles? Many people wanted to stick with the manual windows because the powered versions were notorious for having trouble -- and then they were expensive to repair.

And now, I have just aged myself.

Shoot.

My inner gadget-geek thinks that the new EndoArt band looks pretty cool. They do have a point in that it could eliminate some of the issues with band leaks and port infections, not to mention help out people who are afraid of needles.

Part of me wonders about the robustness of the technology though. The manual process of injecting saline into a port is pretty straightforward. Having something go wrong with the radio receiver inside you might happen just as often as port flips & leaks, and not really lower the rate of needing to do minor surgery to replace band parts.

Remember when power windows were first introduced to automobiles? Many people wanted to stick with the manual windows because the powered versions were notorious for having trouble -- and then they were expensive to repair.

I remember that very well. Of course power windows are much more reliable now. OTOH, my car's power windows will often refuse to go down. Then a few days later they work again. So they aren't perfect. :biggrin:

In a lot of areas of my life, I am very cutting edge. I have an iPhone, a Blu-ray DVD player, and we were one of the first people I know to get an HDTV. I often upgrade to the whatever new version of software as soon as it's out.

But this is our bodies we're talking about! When it comes to things like surgery, and implanting a device in my body, I'm MUCH more conservative. I figure, let someone else be the guinea pig. :tongue:

I don't think my Doctor is going to use the "no-port-band" I suppose it is the new APS band. I sounds like it has been out about a year now, and the clerk at the office said this would not be available until May. Is their a new version of the band just becoming available?

Hey Cathychatts,

The "no port band" is made by EndoArt (which Allergan recently purchased) and is not currently available in the U.S. -- it has to go through FDA trials so there's no release date yet. The APS band is made by Allergan and I saw posts with people getting it as early as November of last year. That is the newest Allergan band and I haven't seen anything about a newer model. There's also the Johnson & Johnson Realize band, which I think came out more recently. So you may want to ask which one or which ones your doctor uses.

I don't think my Doctor is going to use the "no-port-band" I suppose it is the new APS band. I sounds like it has been out about a year now, and the clerk at the office said this would not be available until May. Is their a new version of the band just becoming available?

Molly and Enchanted,

From what I understand, with the no-port band, it's the same technology a long the lines of the new phone use pacemakers. You would call a number and then hold the phone to the band area and it would do whatever it's supposed to do. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Mac,

The only problem with upgrading new technology right away is the lag-time between the new stuff being distributed and the bugs being worked out. Just look at Vista and Leopard. I won't upgrade either of my computers until or if they fix those! Both computers work just fine the way they are! :tt2:

I think it's exciting all the new technology, I just like to wait a little and see how the stuff works before going out and getting it. I also have a hard time getting rid of something that works perfectly well just to get the new thing. We have a 32 in. TV that's 13 years old and still works, well, almost great. It's just now starting to have problems (color spots in the corners). I have a vacuum that I hate but it works and I don't want to spend the money on a new one! Things like that. DH and I are really bad! Now, once it goes out or is on it's last leg, we are all over researching new and going and getting it. We just wait til we have no choice about it! :thumbup: