Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking into banding. We moved to a new state for my husbands job, only the job hasn't happened yet. Long story, but we are pretty certain his insurance will cover most of the surgery, just no guarantees when the job will finally go through. He is VERY supportive for me in this and says that even if we have to use our savings we will. So at this time I do not know how to approach Dr.'s.

I do not have a Dr. locally yet and frankly I am scared of being told what so many think and that is those that have surgery for weight loss are just too lazy to lose it on their own. What if you don't get support from the Dr. you must get a referral from in order to approach a Lap Band Dr.? Has anyone experienced this before? I know I shouldn't worry about something that hasn't happened and may not even happen, but want to be prepared.

Also, if you are a self-pay, can you pretty much just go straight to a LapBand Dr. or clinic or do you still have to go through your family Dr.?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Twanda, You can post a thread asking for a Dr. in your area & you'll probably receive several references. I wouldn't worry about anyone saying weightloss surgery is an easy way out because it's far from it. The band is a tool you have to work with, nothing easy about it. If you feel in your heart the band is the right thing for you then you should go for it. My Doc. only required my PCP's medical records to verify that I've tried many attempts at diets & regained weight,it wasn't important to have his approval. Good luck

well do u have a ppo or hmo.. because if u have a ppo u will not need a referal u can go anywhere that u would like to go to start the ball rolling... if u have a hmo u will have to get a referal from your primary

Dr. so it will be approved by your insurance. Most times u will have to see a nutrnst. for at least 6mths that shows u have tried to eat right and can loose weight.. I did a google search for my area and just put in lap band in chicago and then diffrent places will come up. U can request for them to send u info and or to call...

If you're looking for a primary doctor first, you can call the office and ask to speak with the doctor before you are seen. Or make an appointment, but ask to meet the doctor for a consult before the exam. There are some doctors out there that are not "fat friendly."

I think it probably makes the most sense to find out what insurance you have (or will have) before you get too far in the process. While you can spend your own money doing this, it is a lot of money for most people and if you have insurance and can wait -- that would be the better long-term choice for most people.

Having said that, if my insurance had not approved me, it would have been an easy decision for me to self-pay.

Good luck...

Christine

I don't know about needing a referral from a primary care doctor for insurance reasons but most hospitals (in my experience) offer and require that you attend a free informational meeting before having any sort of appointment for the surgery. It wouldn't be on your insurance records and if they tell you that you DO need a referral then you can find a primary care doctor and get one. Who knows, they may be able to help you find a "fat friendly" physician.

In terms of self-pay (which is what I'm doing), I didn't need a referral, I just went to info sessions at a few of the hospitals in my area that do this (there are 6 or 7 locally) and chose the program and surgeon that I thought fit my needs best. That being said, my primary care physician did mention surgery as an option when I brought up my weight in passing to him when I was in for something else. I'd been thinking about it for a while but him mentioning it is what really got the ball rolling for me (it's like he made it real or something). He still doesn't know that I've taken steps to doing it though!