Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect now?

Now that I've had my first fill (2 ml) on Monday, what am I suppose to do, and what difference(s) should I expect to see/feel? Do I need to do anything different from before fill? So far, I think I burp (not PB) more than before the fill, but I am not sure. Maybe I am looking for changes that aren't really changes....more awareness maybe. Should/will I start losing more now? Any expected problems or side effects?

Not really -- just be aware that foods that went down before might not now. Keep track of how long it takes til you are hungry after a meal; that will be one guide to when you need your next fill.

I've seen on this board that people use their bands in different ways -- some eat until the band stops them, others track calories and eat the portions their doc has suggested. If you are in the first category, try eating a little less than before.

Either way, a lot of people find their first fill doesn't do much and they need to go in for another one. So don't be too surprised if you need another fill very soon.

Thanks, Miss Molly. I haven't felt hunger since my surgery, so that is not a problem for me. From what I've seen here, I am lucky, in that regard. I am trying to eat less, and am on "soft" foods until tomorrow. Guess I'll see what happens when I get on more solid stuff. Since I am not sure what to expect, I am being cautious so far, as I don't want to get the golf ball in the throat or start PBing. I understand those are possibilites, if I eat too much. Is that correct? I know for sure that I don't even want to go there. Thanks for your help, and I'll post my observations as I get used to this.

It is a hard question to answer because everyone is so different. Some people feel restriction without even needing a fill and some people don't get restriction 'til they've had 5 or 6 fills. It also depends on how much Fluid they put in. My doctor was quite conservative - my first 3 fills were 1.5 ccs each and it took FOREVER for me to feel any difference. I really didn't have restriction until my 5th fill (7.5 ccs in a 10 cc band) As you begin eating again after this fill, just be aware. It may be that, like me, you feel exactly the same as before you were banded. Or you may have some restriction, in which case you just need to make sure you are eating carefully - chew well and eat slowly. Your body will tell you what you need to do! Good luck!

Kbinaz, what does a restriction feel like? So far, I don't think I feel anything different, but I am trying to be more aware (which I obviously wasn't before the fill), and am noticing things that may have been going on before without me paying attention to them....i.e. burping a fair amount after meals. Since I am trying to stay at one cup, 4 times a day, I don't think I am overdoing it or pushing the full limit. I think I am starting to feel full, but not really sure. Guess I just go with the flow and wait to see what happens.

Neveragain, the doc told me I didn't need to do liquids, but probably should do mushies for a couple days. I did this, and today is the first day I tried solids. I don't think I had a problem, but (again, maybe being overly aware) I noticed I felt very slight nausea about 2 1/2 hours after eating. I can't believe this is a result of the fill, since it was so long after the meal. Wouldn't nausea, PBing, sliming happen soon after the meal if too much was eaten? I also don't think I want to "find out how much fits" as this would cause the above results, wouldn't it?

Thanks to both of you for putting me at ease, and helping me understand this unknown territory.

lapbandade:

There was no doubt in my mind when I got restriction. The first thing I noticed was that when I swallowed a bite of food it kind of sat there- in the back of my throat. Even Water kind of gurgled down instead of going straight down. (especially right after my fill when I tend to be even tighter) I noticed new noises - mostly gurgling - kind of like when a drain is clogged then you unclog it...and lots of other weird rumblings mostly in my throat or esophagus area) I also noticed that I felt full with very little food. I definitely feel full and I never did with my first few fills. I often can't even eat 1 cup of food, but it varies at different times and from day to day. The other good thing about restriction is that you stay full longer. I know I read people on here who say they don't feel full like they felt before surgery, but I do feel full and I believe it is the same feeling. I feel like I just finished a huge 4 course meal when I have eaten a cup of food. It's really pretty awesome! I always ask my husband "did I eat a lot at that meal?" and he'll say "No, you didn't eat much at all"- I need that reassurance because I feel so full that it seems like I must have eaten too much! I actually have had trouble finishing a frozen meal...something unheard of before surgery. I used to not eat them because there just wasn't enough food there. Now they are too much!!! How cool is that???

OK, it's been just over a week since my first fill after sugery 7 1/2 months ago. I think I am settling in at about one cup of food twice a day, with one or two 200 or less calorie Snacks. I feel pretty full at a cup, and thinkI'd be pushing it if I went to a cup and a half. I don't even want to go there, so I'll stick with a cup, or a cup and a quarter at the most. I've already lost almost 5 lbs. which should make the doc (and me) happy. I'll post any further observations/progress. Next doc appt. is May 15th., I think.