Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally, my first fill

It's been quite a while since I've been on the forum.....busy with life's ongoing challenges and issues. Anyway, Monday I received my first fill (2 ml) after 7 1/2 months. I was trying to do the whole program without a fill, but have only been losing 3-5 lbs. a month for the last few months. The doc said it was time. So far, since my surgery on Aug. 30, 07, I've lost 80 lbs. and would like to lose at least another 40-60 lbs. Just wondering if anyone else has gone as long, or longer, without needing a fill??? What was your secret? Mine is, since the surgery I have never felt hunger, which has helped me lose fairly easily, so far. My biggest problem is the old, bad eating habits die hard, and I eat for the sake of eating, not because I am hungry. Does anyone else feel no hunger? The doc said he must have got the band in just the right spot.

Edited by lapbandade

Wow, your stats are amazing for having the band for less than a year and not having a fill. I'm curious to know what size band you have?

Wow, all that weight gone with no fills, it's like winning the lottery! There is one person i know that was banded the same month as me and she hasn't had any fills and is losing great. good for you.

With no fill 3 to 5 pounds a month is still remarkable. Not feeling hungry is what we're all searching for. And during this time, you've learned that much of our hunger is head hunger or old habits.

I think the doc said my band is a large, a 14 ml band, I think. Does that sound right? Yes, most of my problems have been, and still are, in my head. Most people I've talked to say the same thing. I don't feel like I need or want to eat, but when I start, I don't want to quit. I resort a lot to the 100 calorie "snacks", but really have a problem pushing away once I get started. I am pretty religious about staying around 1000-1200 calories a day, with at least 80 grams of Protein. Still usually do a half or full Protein Shake a day. I usually use light vanilla soy milk, vanilla Protein Powder, and fresh fruit. Fresh strawberries are the best, IMO.

No one can argue with your success, Yes, pushing away once we start is a problem most of us can relate to. Maybe the fill will help with that a bit more.

You are very lucky, indeed, that you don't feel hunger! But I wanted to let you know that you don't need to 'fear' or avoid fills - there is no reason to try to do this without fills, that kind of defeats the purpose of the band. It is meant to be filled. Granted, you have lost an amazing amount of weight without any fills, and I commend you for that! (you have lost more than twice as much as me!) But please don't go through this experience with the idea that fills are a sign of weakness or failure. I needed 5 fills to get restriction and I can assure you I would not have lost the 30 pounds I have lost without that restriction. (anymore than I could have lost it with out lap band surgery...) If you do start feeling hungry, get a fill. There is nothing wrong with getting them and is the purpose of the band. A very small percentage of people feel no hunger or need no fills to lose weight but they are in the minority. It kind of bugs me when people come on here and make it sound like it is so easy to lose without fills when some of us are really struggling to lose even with lots of fills under our belts! It's awesome that you didn't need a fill for 7 months and I am totally jealous of you for having such an easy time of it, but it's okay to need fills, too!!!

I am pretty religious about staying around 1000-1200 calories a day, with at least 80 grams of Protein. Still usually do a half or full Protein shake a day. I usually use light vanilla soy milk, vanilla protein powder, and fresh fruit. Fresh strawberries are the best, IMO.

Perfect. Seriously, if you keep that up, you will get the same results as anyone else will. Oh and that shake sounds amazing... I'm going to toss one of those together right now. haha.

I just had my fill 2 months out. I was so proud thinking that maybe I, too, could go the distance w/out the fill. But I've been SO hungry since I started exercising and so I think I'd rather be filled and losing. The fill was an interesting experience. So glad I had it!

Kbinaz, you are right. I thought that because I am never hungry I could just keep losing without ever having a fill. I think it was more of a challenge than anything, plus I don't like the idea of potentially PBing, and having the golf ball in the throat if I want to pig out on something. Now that I have had a fill I think I see what you mean. Yes, now I feel full quicker, and have been staying at about a cup, 4 times a day. I've already started losing again. Before the fill I was really starting to have trouble losing (only 3 lbs. in the previous 5 weeks), because I was obviously overeating. Now I am afraid to overeat, as I know I won't like the band's response. Thanks for your input and encouragement.

Neveragain, how did you like the strawberry vanilla shake? I've almost quit having any other kind....by far my favorite.