Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh My god is something wrong

Guest RJurnee

Guest RJurnee

I just had my surgery on Monday march 28th 2005. The first couple of days i just lounged around. Yesterday this pain right above my port started. Comes and goes almost like someone is pushing on my chest. Please tell me this is normal. Im on mushy foods already. Also when they were doing my surgery they found a hyrnia(spelled wrong). i do not know what this is its not unbareble but it is scary. Also i have lost 21 pounds since pre op started on march 14.

After Surgery I was on liquids for 2 weeks. 1 oz every fifteen minutes but every Doctor is different. I did have pain in the middle of my chest but it subsided in less than a week.

When does it hurt?? After you have eaten??

Did the Doc fix your Hernia??

Guest RJurnee

yes they fixed that. It hurts when i breathe and then sometimes just at random. I now feel like i have lack of Protein my dr said if im not filling up on liquids i can go to mushy foods so i have been eating grits, mashed potatoes, and stovetop stuffing. I wonder if i can add a couple of slimfast drinks in there. the Protein Shakes i have are nasty i want to bring them back up when i drink them. Do you think slimfast is better than nothing?

Good morning!

I would call the doctor. Best to let the experts know what is going on. But if not, I agree with Bubbame, I think you should still be on liquids. You aren't even one week post op! I know every Doctor has a differnet plan, but I myself would go back to liquids and see if the pain subsides...please let us know how you are doing...

RJurnee, you really should slow down on the mushy stuff! Pain is an indication that you're not ready for that. I tried mushies about six days after surgery and had the exact same experience, and just waited another couple of days and everything was fine. You have healing yet to do! Every additional movement of your muscles can strain or cause discomfort while the healing is going on.

With regard to Protein drinks, I think you will be able to find them out there if you look around. Slimfast is high is sugar and not really high in Protein. The Atkins shakes are supposed to be pretty good. I used a powder I got at Trader Joes and it tasted really good when mixed with milk. (Sorry, I can't recall the brand.) But experiment! They're out there.

My doctors, when asked about the level of pain people experience post-op, like to share the common experience people have about a week or so out. Everyone has incisions in the port area that can have increased pain at that point--I think it involves the dissolving of internal stitches. But whatever the cause, some people think they're dying and other people think it's itchy. There's just no telling how people will react to a certain pain stimulus.

So I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with you, but that your sensations are normal. Good luck, and take it easy!!

Guest RJurnee

thanks im going right now back on the drinks till my first fill on april 14 then i will talk to the dr on how much i should be eating hopefully this will subside thanks so much.

Good Morning,

After a week I tried Nouriche by Yoplait. Its a Breakfast smoothie, they are really good with lots of Calcium, Protein and Fiber. The Strawberry/Banana is good, and they sell them at the grocery store.

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in Mexico 12/14/04

"Why not?"

Wait, something doesn't make sense. You said that you had your surgery March 28 (which was last week) yet you said you have lost 21 lbs since pre op on march 14. Please explain so people can better help you. :)