Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erosion & Re-Banding

This is something Ive wondered for a long time...

If you are diagnosed with erosion and your band is removed - after a length of time - can you get another band?

I have read where people have been rebanded if the erosion hasn't been bad, however if it was bad then they can never have a band again.

There are several people on some of the other boards that had erosion and have been rebanded.

Again, I have only read this about other people's experience with the band.

Paula, this is a question that gets asked at my doc's pre-op meetings all the time. The answer is always "it depends." I've certainly heard of situations where bands have been removed and replaced later on, but can't swear those removals were erosion-related. I'd imagine it would depend on the degree of damage and then the degree of healing.

So, the bottom line? It depends. :)

Pat

Erosion is when the band and the stamach walls don't get along and the band works its way thru the wall into the stomach area. If your body has a reaction to the band this can happen. But remember the band is placed around the stomach then the stomach is sewen over the band so when erosion accurs there is not a hole created to the outside. But the band has to be removed.

At my Dr seminars this question is asked alot also. And my Dr has same answer as Alex's DR.(they must talk on the phone)... It depends. He further states if the erosion if from the body rejecting the band then until one is made of another substance you wouldn't be getting a new one. If its caused by another source, and I don't know what they would be, you may be able to have a new one placed once the stomach heals from the first erosion.

I may be wrong but didn't Vera's band erode and she is getting a new one???

Vera's band didn't erode, I think it was just a leaky tube. The tube had already been "fixed" once, and this time the question was whether they'd fix it again or replace the whole thing. Happily they were able to replace the whole thing, since the first band she got was defective. But there was never anything wrong with the band part or her stomach. Thank goodness!

Paul I have heard from others who had erosion do get another band after about 6 months wait, and other's don not. I have a firend fright now who had her bandfor a year and a half and had erosion she is now waiting 6 months and her doctor will give her another band. I think it depends on each individual and their circumstances. I know of another woman who had 2 bnands erode so she will never be able to get another one

I know of another woman who had 2 bands erode so she will never be able to get another one

Oh my! I cant imagine going through it a third time....

Thanks for all these responses. You guys ARE the best!

I guess with my reflux/heartburn flaring up lastnight - Im getting a little paranoid :nervous

Basically, if something happens to this band... I WANT another one!

Guest kathyjo722

obesityhelp.com has a post from a lady who had to have hers removed and they found a hole in her stomach..she then had them switch to the RNY. quite the scary thought to one waitng for a band. my doc said most will just errode and become part of the stomach..thus not working..or errode and become in the stomach..and have to be removed. either way i vote reband for myself.

kathy

Funny thing is, that in a case of erosion and the need for removal my insurance will pay for the RNY. But they won't pay for the lap band itself or fills. Go figure!

Jenna, in January - we switched to a new ins. comp. This new one is like yours - will pay for NOTHING related to a band - but will pay nearly everything for a RNY.