Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I won't/don't miss about being Obese

Nobody's girl,

Gosh, your post made me so sad!! :-( So many things I can relate to in my former, younger years.

I don't know where you are in the process, but having Weight loss surgery can help, and it's amazing the transformation that can occur. However, it won't solve everything - but it sure does make social situations easier!

I'm about halfway there, and have already so much has changed. Not really my relationships with others, as much as I have so much more energy, feel better about myself, etc. Which is the first steps. You don't have to be perfect!

I hope someday we'll see a happy post from you, and you'll change your name to "Somebody's Girl"

Best wishes!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Im being banded in just a few days on August 12, 2008. Im very positive and optimistic, I just thought it might be nice to write a list I can look back on a year from now and see how much has changed. Im actually only 60lbs overweight but I want to nip this thing in the butt before it gets out of hand! WHOO HOOO IM SO EXCITED!!!!!

Things I won't miss and look forward to ~

1. I won't miss wearing a girdle because thighs rub together :thumbup:
  2. I won't miss shopping at ANY plus size store (Lane Bryant, Avenue, Asheley Stewart)
  3. I won't miss Walking by a mirror and shaking my head at myself and thinking how disgusting and unattractive I am.
  4. I won't miss dropping food on my top cause my boobs are in the way
  5. I won't miss fearing having to ask for a seat belt extension on the airplane
  6. I won't miss my nieces hugging me and saying "juicy juicy" (innocent)
  7. I won't miss avoiding going to events with my husband
  8. I won't miss running into old friends who either don't recognize me or say "girl you've gained weight"
  9. I won't miss not being able to wear cute sylish shoes cause my feet are too wide and swollen
  10. I won't miss not having any energy

Things I look forward to ~

1. I look forward to going to school with my daughter and the kids telling her "your mom is pretty"
  2. Comfortably wearing a cute bathing suit in public
  3. Wearing short (which I avoid)
  4. Getting a convertible 2 seater and feeling like I can get in and out without looking like I stuffed my self in it.
  5. Wearing cute sexy lingere

I'm looking so forward to using this tool to become a healthier, happier me.:thumbup:

Edited by health4life

I am new here, have yet to even get my paperwork together; attending an informational seminar on the 12th of Sept.

But I can tell you this:

I am tired of being the "fat person"!

When I reach my goal of -100 lbs I am finally going to start living my life again and with viggor.

I have spent the past 10 years of my life miserable because I am sensative to the way people look at me.

I've always hidden, avoided every photo opportunity, avoided any function at all where I was required to dress up.

I won't shop with anybody family or friend I'm mortified enough, I don't need them to know my size.

I don't even try things on at stores anymore because I get too upset.

Thankfully I have my boys;they are the light of my life without them I would be forever miserable, with them I am comfortable and don't feel inadequate.

Not to panic I am not depressed or suicidal I am just mad as

heck that I have let myself be this way fo so long.

So, I will not miss the stares and the costant feeling like I am not good enough because I am a fat person. :thumbup:

I am new here, have yet to even get my paperwork together; attending an informational seminar on the 12th of Sept.

Why, Mom, Sept 12 is a FABULOUS day!!! :thumbup:

Listen carefully and take good notes.

I found the following this week and thought you might find it useful as well.

http://www.bariatricedge.com/docs/questions4surgeon.pdf

Take care and welcome to LBT!

My first post and what a great subject! :)

I won't miss everything already said.

Especially,

-Large womens expensive stores

-Airplane seats

-Being over aware of where I am sitting on a boat or pontoon

-Chairs with arms

-Not going on rollercosters

-Looking at my huge @$$ in the mirror

-apologizing to people, in my head, for being obese :crying:

I won't miss not being able to buy clothes that fit.

Swollen feet and ankles.

Horrible back pain

And underwires that pokeeeeeeeee the heck out of your sides and breasts. :|

I won't miss:

-avoiding high school friends when I see them in the store b/c I am embarrassed about how I look.

-wearing bulky t-shirts and capris when it is 95 degrees outside. I wanna wear a tank top and shorts w/o being self-conscious!

-tugging my short down every time I stand up.

-missing out on roles in the community theater productions b/c I am too big to play the ingenue (and maybe too old now...LOL, but that's what makeup is for).

-planning lunch while I'm eating Breakfast.< /p>

-elastic waist bands and the old lady clothes I wear b/c nothing else fits, or I don't want to spend the crazy money Lany Bryant and Torrid charge.

I don't think there is one single thing I will miss about being able to eat what I want all of the time. I am pretty much sick of food, and sick of being a slave to it. Only 16 more days until I kick my bad weight habit forever!

I won't miss:

* shopping at Lane Bryant

* sex with the lights off and my shirt on

* sore feet

* blubber muffin top squeezing out my pants

* fat lady bras

* sweaty betty syndrom

* watching everyone else "play"

* worrying if I won't fit in the chair this time

I know this will have lots & lots of repeats, but it will do me good to write it down!

I will not miss:

1. Sweating (unless I'm at the gym)

2. Airplane seats (and belt extenders)

3. Cameras (the last photo I have of me with my daughter is 4 yrs old)

4. Sending my daughter off to do things without me

5. Not going horseback riding because it's not fair to the horse.

6. Not going bike riding because it's not fair to the bike!

7. Having to assess that lawn chair very carefully - will it hold me?

8. Nasty comments from mean, narrow-minded people (Dad included)

9. Putting on my make-up and doing my hair without ever really focusing on myself, because I just don't want to see

10. Avoiding the guy I knew in college who now lives around the corner, because I don't want him to see me looking this way.

My psych eval is tomorrow

Surgeon meeting is the 22nd

Hoping for surgery in mid-September

Since I am now six months out and have already ticked alot off of my list. I dont miss . . .

Hating every picture that I ever see myself in.

Shopping and only finding matronly clothes that don't look right.

Not being able to wear tall boots.

Feeling like a whale in my swimsuit.

Nervous that everyone is looking at my big behind on the bike.

Not having energy.

. . . and most of all, I won't miss standing next to my husband and feeling like everyone is thinking "why did he marry her???"

Awesome threat!!!

I won't ever miss;

• Pulling at my tops so they "fit".
  • Going from store to store to find clothes that not only fit but are comfortable.
  • Looking around the room to see if I am the heaviest.
  • Being self conscious during sex...even though husband tells me not to worry. :)
  • Being uncomfortable while we travel; ie planes, train, bus

:) I'm ready to drop all this baggage!!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

I won't miss:

Rolling out of bed - instead of hopping out

Lane Bryant

Elastic Bands

My Two Spare Tires

Being out of breath just to tie my shoes

Being tired ALL of the time

Sore Knees & Back

Those "Judgemental" looks - especially at restaurants. Fat people have to eat too!

Pulling myself out of my car instead of gracefully stepping out

Among Others...

I can now check off all of these from my list four months later (originally posted on 4/16/08)! If anyone is out there doubting themselves, know all it takes is hard work a preserverance to change your life! We sometimes take for granted the little things in life. I for one am glad to have them back!

Edited by Leslie2Lose

:thumbup:Hey SickNTired-

Thanks for the info sheet I've downloaded it and will be prepared to fire off all those questions.

My big question is, how many, exactly steps are there to this process,

I'd like to tick them off, but I have no clue what they are!

I have my Seminar on the 12th and I'm meeting with my PCM during the

week of the 29th. Not sure what else to expect?

Any info or link would be greatly appreciate.

Oh and is there help for my signature photo and my ticker that I can't seem to get to appear??? I've tried the FAQ's, but I did all that already.

Thanks again, I don't wish to be a pain in the touchy; but I'm serious about this and I'm lost.

Kerrie:confused:

:thumbup:Hey SickNTired-

Thanks for the info sheet I've downloaded it and will be prepared to fire off all those questions.

My big question is, how many, exactly steps are there to this process,

I'd like to tick them off, but I have no clue what they are!

I have my Seminar on the 12th and I'm meeting with my PCM during the

week of the 29th. Not sure what else to expect?

Any info or link would be greatly appreciate.

Oh and is there help for my signature photo and my ticker that I can't seem to get to appear??? I've tried the FAQ's, but I did all that already.

Thanks again, I don't wish to be a pain in the touchy; but I'm serious about this and I'm lost.

Kerrie:confused:

Aww, no problem and you're welcome!

re: steps - each surgeon is different. I went to the seminar and then made an appointment w/ my surgeon. At that appointment, they gave me a packet of information that included a checklist of sorts. I've completed the following:

- psychologist

- nutrition class

- pulmonologist

- PCP (incl. my TSH levels b/c I have thyroid disease)

I also provided a 5 year weight history.

Oddly enough, my surgeon's office sent off my packet today!!! WAHOO!

I haven't been successful regarding tickers and photos in my signature so unfortunately you're on your own with that one!

Good luck! :rolleyes:

Thank you SickNtied! Congrats on the sendoff of you packet!