Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Failure???

"Failure is only important if it's last time that you try"....is my favorite variation on the previously mentioned Failure quotes.

When speaking about these various Weight Loss Surgeries, people often like to talk in "absolutes"; "do THIS, and THIS will happen, because it worked that way for ME".

Nope. Doesn’t work that way. Even though the way the Surgeries are performed is very similar, the OUTCOMES among the patient population is anything BUT uniform.

I think, in many respects, it comes down to "tweaking" your particular Procedure.

Liken it to an automobile, if you will. Re-gap those plugs, change the air/fuel mixture just a L-I-T-T-L-E bit, and your car will perform in an entirely different way.

Same with WLS. Assuming you have done the research and selected the CORRECT procedure for your personality/body type/eating issues, selected the RIGHT Surgeon at the RIGHT facility, then you have a good foundation for creating the proper environment for having a successful WLS experience. But, coming home from the hospital is only the beginning. And, if this makes any sense, it's really only the beginning of the BEGINNING.

What I mean by that is that you need to be prepared to change and alter your strategy on a continual basis as you move forward in the post-WLS experience. As you lose weight, your body will change in subtle ways, and I'm not talking about APPEARANCE so much as I am about your biochemistry, your metabolism, and many other things that impact your "relationship" with your excess weight.

For example, a previous poster stated that once they cut out all of the Diet beverages, things began to change. Some people might say that this doesn't make sense; There are no calories in these beverages, how could they be causing you to plateau? LOTS of reasons, actually. It can have to do with signals that your brain receives when it senses something "sweet" has entered the body. It can have to do with your reaction to Aspartame (equal) and the other artificial sweeteners that are, in fact, chemical poisons that have been proven to do all sorts of nasty things to humans and other living organisms.

There is a HUGE array of variables that can cause change in our bodies, and you have to be prepared to work hard to discover YOUR PERSONAL “zone” that, once you are there, will allow you to arrive at a safe, comfortable, and NATURAL weight that is right for YOU.

So, although you have HAD the surgery (and it might seem that it’s the hard part), it is really only the beginning. Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t work right out of the gate for you. If you have created the right foundation for your Surgery, then the chances are very good that you will able to arrive at the “place” where it all comes together for you. It’s all up to YOU!

"The Journey is the Reward"

HH