Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Its been four days since surgery and...

I feel almost 100%.

First, thanks to everyone who posts as you provide valuable insight pre and post-op.

Second, I was always curious as to specific play-by-play so to speak of right before surgery and right after so I'll give my details for those that may be curious.

On Friday, March 28, I visited my PCP to let him know that I'd started my pre-op diet that morning. I'm a 30 year old male at 5'10 that tipped the scales that day at 319. After recieving his blessings, I began the daily diet of 2 8oz shakes, 2 meals of 5oz chicken or fish, and small amounts of veggies. The two weeks were surprising easy compared to my previous dieting attempts.

On Thursday, April 10, I went to my pre-op appointment to recieve instructions for surgery the following day. I was somewhat shocked when I weighed in at 296 yielding a 23lb loss during the two week pre-op diet. I was even more shocked when I was told I could have regular meal the night before the surgery (I have no idea if this is the norm but it's true and I went to macaroni Grill). I wasn't quite sure about eating a big meal the night before surgery but my body had become accustom to the pre-op diet and at 3:00am that night, I had no more worries that the dinner would be there during surgery (most pc way to put it).

On Friday, April 11, I went into surgery at approximately 10:30am and was awakened to very little pain (obviously I was under the influence of surgery meds). After surgery, I had a x-ray to determine if Fluid should be removed from my band and is was (a very small amount). After an hour drive, I was home by 2:00pm. I felt better than I thought i would after surgery and began my breathing and walking regime. I walked down the street (approximately 5 or 6 house) and back about every two hours till about 9pm. Around 7pm, the gas pains started. the gas pains have been vast majority of pain through out the process. They were very uncomfortable and seemed to worsen with walking but that apparently is the cure for them. I felt very good in a recliner and slept there (very well) Friday night (and every subsequent night) with the help of pain meds.

Saturday, April 12, was much of the same, walk a little farther, drink Water and gatorade if I could, breathing exercise, rest, and sleep. Still no pain from the incisions or internally...just gas.

Sunday, April 13, I was profoundly better. Gas has been cut by what seemed like 70% by lunch and was completely gone by dark. Drank two shakes and had some applesauce (maybe 3 or 4 bites) but wasn't very hungry....quite a bit of water.

Monday, April 14, I was intending on going back to work but I had what felt like heartburn. I called my surgeon and after a brief discussion I chose to come in and for him to take a look. He determined that I still had too much restriction and took most of my fluid out of the band (which I was hoping to keep). Same eating and drinking as Sunday.

Today, I still have a little heartburn but I think it may be due to some internal swelling. My stomach muscles are sore for the first time but its not bad at all as I've returned to work. Still no incision pains. Still the same eating a drinking regime as the previous two days.

Sorry for the long post but I know I was interested in seeing peoples journey and maybe mine will answer a question someone has or provide another perspective.

I have no idea if my process is indicative of the normal process and obviously, no one can operate under the premise that it is. Just to be clear.

So far, it has definitely been worth the cash and the pain and I'm only 4 days banded.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Eat2Live

I am so glad that you are doing so well. I am being banded on 4/28 with the Realize band and it was great to hear such a positive experience. :lol:

Thanks for this as you are right, I'm up next week and anxious to find anything I can so I know what to expect.

Thanks for your post. As I move closer to submitting paperwork to my insurance company, I enjoy reading info on how different people feel/and deal with post-op issues.

Grats on your new band :)

Best wishes, glad you are recoving well.

I was very surprised to read that you had a fill in your band already?

Is this common in US? I thought first fill did not happen for 5-6 weeks post surgery. I am scheduled for mine in another 3 weeks - am almost 2 weeks post surgery now.