Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 60 and above now OR when you started!

Hi,

I am looking for people who have a BMI of 60 or above now or people who started their band journey at a BMI of 60 or above.

There are many nice threads on here, but so many people have started with MUCH lower BMI's and I want to chat with people like me who started this with VERY high BMI's.

For me I don't understand going through this whole processes to lose 30-40 pounds. For me this is a huge change and I needed to lose A LOT more then that!

Hope I can find some of the people out there in the same boat as me!

Thanks!

High i started with a BMI of 59 but i must be taller then you because my starting weight was 382. I also don't understand doing such drastic messures for not a lot of weight to lose but i guess its all about personal decissions. I am here if you would like my support and you can PM me anytime you like. I can always use more lapband buddies

There are a few sections on the forum based on how much weight you need to lose, jsut scroll down on the main page and you'll find them.

I was not 60 but was rather close at over 55. I'm now 35! Who would have guessed. AND, I'm still losing; in fact, I'm losing faster now than I ever have! DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!! It's great to get that weight off!! So glad I did!!!

Hi there,

I weighed 393 when I went into surgery on 3/27. I'm currently 381 (I think - my scale at home has odd fits of pique that I can't fathom yet). So, we're in the same boat! Best of luck!

Thanks shortgal.

Hi Gillibean and RHarriet62,

When were you guys banded? Since my last fill I can't eat much of anything, but I guess thats a good thing. I had only lost 18 pounds in 3 months. Now I lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks, so I guess this is the way it is supposed to be. There are just some days that I miss taking a big bite of something. I do not regret doing this I just have days where I miss eating. Right now I am feeling like I don't want to eat anything and nothing even looks good. I find eating more of a job now. I guess that too is a good thing. Anyway I am glad to meet you and see others who know what it's like to weigh over 300 pounds!

Good Luck!

Hi Sundevil!

WTG, how are you feeling? I feel like my surgery was a life time ago, even though it was only a little over months. I guess because I started the liquid diet in Aug. it seems longer. I love my band, I just have some days when I wish I could be like everyone else. I am coming up to the 100 pound mark soon and I can't believe I have lost that much. Yes I feel better, but I don't see where the 100 pounds is missing from lol. When do you go back to your Dr for your first fill?

Good luck and keep in touch!

Hi... I started with a BMI of 58.5 at 5'2" and 320. I know -- not who you're looking for! :thumbup:

I just wanted to pipe in on your comment about people who only have **something less than 100 pounds** to loose when they have this surgery. I started with 184# to drop before reaching the top end of the "normal BMI" range for my height. I was under the impression that doctors just didn't DO the surgery on patients with less than 100# to loose. Initially, that is! It's astounding to me how many (perfectly wonderful) people I've come across at LBT & other places who have 75-60 pounds as their total weight loss goal... :lol: And the posts about packing on a few to qualify for the surgery in the 1st place -- I can't imagine wanting to gain weight to be able to get weight loss surgery!! :lol: I'm always saying about having lost 106 pounds that "I wouldn't qualify to HAVE my surgery now" since I 'only' have another 77 to loose now -- but I'm pretty sure I could find a surgeon to do it at my current weight, especially since I was self-pay! :lol: But, frankly...here I sit with less than 100 pounds to loose & my momentum has pretty much stalled out at nowhere near a healthy weight. Loosing this next 77 pounds is gonna be HARD work, much harder than the 1st 100 so it seems. :thumbup: I can't fathom being successful at it without my Lap Band. And I could certainly see myself wanting this surgery at my current weight today -- right now, having read & seen the success others have had with it -- presuming I hadn't already HAD it! :thumbup: It's a darn handy tool! :lol:

Anyhow...you're not alone in having a long journey ahead with this tool before reaching Goal. I wish you the very best with your Band! :thumbup: And in gathering together other 60+ers, too!

Hi Suzanne,

So glad you stoped in! First let me say WTG you look fantastic! I was looking for people like you. I said I didn't understand people doing this that need to lose 30-40 pounds. I just think this is a big deal and that 30 pounds is not worth going through this surgery.

I am also 5'2" and my Dr would not touch me until I got my BMI down below 60. Then of course a lot of people said well now that you are losing why not just stay on this diet and not get the band...HELLO have you not seen me diet before. it comes back lol.

I know everyone has their own struggles, I just wanted a few to chat with that started out over 300 so at least they understand the long road that we have ahead. I did see a few posts of people looking to gain weight so they could get the surgery, all I did was scratch my head and say are you kidding!

Hope you stick around!!

Good Luck!

I wish that my desire for food left when i had surgery and that i was never hungry but the head hunger has me by the shirt tails. Hopefully once i get another fill it will fix it but i was filled to much with the last fill and don't want to have that again. Good luck on your journey.

Hi Gillian,

I totally understand! I wake up thinking about food and what I am going to eat! The good thing is in the morning I am not able to really eat much. Nothing seems to go down well in the morning. My last fill was March 12th and it was WAY too much but I refused to go back and get any out. My Dr charges me 290.00 per fill and my ins does not cover it. I was also told if you need an unfill they take it all out and make you wait 2 weeks before they put anything back. As long as I have been able to eat a little bit and drink I left it alone.

As for the head hunger I just try to have a bite of something I am craving that usually does the trick. This is going to be a long journey but in the end I am sure it will be worth it.

Good luck and thanks for the chat!

U know my highest weight was like 320ish and I was depressed after my brother was killed...so instead of drinking my self to death i worked out because before he was killed I made a promise to him that I would change and that I would workout and eat better..and he made a promise to me as well to change his life for the better.. In the process he was taken away... Eveything happens for a reason and i understand so much more now... After I got prego I gained it back and here I am now..... I am currently about 280 and I have over 100lbs to loose as well... and yes i must say... it is hard as hell... and someone said to me yesterday wow... u look good why are u trying to loose so much weight and i like i am doing for me..so the risk of me developing illiness will be lowered or deminish all together... I have a 3-year old so to raise.. and i want to be here for him.. so he can see how life was ment to be lived.... and oh baby... I am on that road and I wont get off... so congrats on everyone's progress thus far... I should be hearing something this week in regards to a freekin band date... or im going to wire my mouth shut...lol..