Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid during the night....

Hi All

I have been having bad reflux during the night lately where I wake up choking on acid. Very attractive, I know. I have had this before, when my band was too tight so I got a complete unfill (I have a very small band - Dr said much smaller than american bands) and this fixed the problem.

I vomited a couple of times the day before just due to me eating too fast and not concentrating, it happens occasionally.

Do you think the two things are related? That I have possibly just irritated the area enough that it is a little swollen and is causing this? I had a much better night last night, no acid at all BUT made sure I didn't eat within 2 hours of bed time either. Is this a rule that most people stick to?

I have been banded for 4 1/2 years so I have a good idea of what to do and what not to do. Everything else seems normal but just the acid was something unusual. I am fine during the day and my tolerance is the same as it has been for a long time.

I guess I am concerned that I have a slip or something. Does this sound like it? I know I should go visit a doctor if the acid persists but today I am doing much better so thought I would ask for your experiences.

Thanks

Suzie

I get acid with new fills, when I'm probably tighter than I should be. The solution for me is to not eat after 6pm.

I'm an evening eater so it's hard, but after three nights of choosing to eat and not sleeping, sleeping won.

If it pursists see your doc.

HTH.

Thank you for your advice!! Yes I am thinking the same thing. Last night I could choose between eating after 7pm or having a good night's sleep. I didn't eat after 7 and had a great night's sleep!!!

I am sure mine is to do with my band being irritated and a bit swollen after vomiting, making it tighter. I have had this before but not with the acid. Thankfully it seems to have settled down alot today.

Thanks for your advice :)

Suzie, the vomitting could have triggered the reflux. The best thing you can do is take an antacid and stop eating 2 hours before bed. That may do the trick. If not, you will need a slight unfill. I'm sure you band did not slip. Good luck.

I felt better reading your posts. I know that my band is probably too tight. I've leveled off on weight loss but I know that's beause I've figured out that ice cream doesn't hurt so that's what I live on. Anyway, for the last month I've had three episodes of what I think is reflux during the night like you had talked about. I also want to add that it was after eating or drinking (iced latte) prior to going to bed. I woke up having a coughing fit and actually coughing up a bit of brownish sputum (gross). Prior to this surgery I didn't have reflux or heart burn and for that matter wouldn't have been able to cough up sputum if my life depended on it. It's a darn good thing I'm single because it wouldn't be very charming sleeping next to me these days. The most recent incident happened last night and I'm worried about that sputum thing. I have an appointment with my doctor but have you had this type of thing happen. I'll take the advise of not eating or drinking after 7:00 pm and see how that works.

Laurie

My bandaversery is May 17th. It'll be one year and I've lost 55lb. I really only have 15-20 left to go. Yeah.