Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started...finally!!!

Hello all! Denise from Millville, NJ here and this is my story. I decided to have the surgery August of last year while sitting in a hospital bed. I was admitted for an SVT attack (so scary) and it was discovered that I was also dangerously anemic. Add that to my Type II diabetes, cellulitis and horrible back pain it was obvious I was in need of a huge change or face certain disability or death in a few years. I started the ball rolling once I was discharged and after 4 months of my surgeon's office working to get me approved I was ready to go (Yay for Dr.Iqbal's office in Bridgeton!!)

Next came 2 months of pre-op testing, a reschedule (to get clearance from my cardiologist) and many emotional ups and downs. My surgeon suggested I get the gastric bypass instead of the band because of the high amount of weight I needed to lose but I saw what my sister in law went through and knew it was too drastic for me. Finally, after forever I was cleared for a March 28th surgery. I can say now it was well worth the wait. And I know that all of the testing and the delay was only to keep me safe and healthy. I can't say enough great things about Dr. Attia. His care and attention has been wonderful.

My surgery went well outside of my oxygen levels. I was kept for observation in the ICU for 2 days but I felt pretty good. I was up and walking the day after. I wasn't hungry. And I was only in a small bit of pain at the incisions site. At home I didn't need much help at all and was off all pain meds by the Tuesday following. In the next 10 days I lost 23 pounds and at Day 11 my doctor gave me the all clear to advance to stage 2, to drive and to exercise. Stage 1 (clear liquids) was not easy but the 3-4 pound weight loss a day made it VERY tolerable. I have stuck to "the plan" to the letter and feel quite in control of my body at last. The weight loss has slowed down considerably but I haven't had my first fill yet. My biggest tip to date is to be sure to get your Water (crystal light white grape makes it that much more fun to drink):lol:.

Just when I think that all of my questions have been asked and answered I come up with another one. That is what has led me here and I am beyond thrilled to have found a place outside my surgeon's office to meet and chat with others in the same boat. Anyone please feel free to respond, email or IM me!! Together we can achieve our mutual goal!!!:biggrin::thumbup::biggrin:

Wow, how far you've come! I'm just starting my journey. Have the appointment with my surgeon this Tuesday and I already have a few appointments set up that are needed to get clearance. I'm hoping to have the surgery this summer because I work in a school and will have off. I can see your patience has paid off and I'm happy for you. Keep up the good work!

Lisa :biggrin:

Hi Denise, and welcome, we are glad you found us! It sounds like you are doing wonderfully thus far and have a great attitude as well. We look forward to getting to know you as you go through your lapband journey.