Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

talk some sense into me please

i had my band 4/2.

I've been on Protein Shakes and have been good for the most part, and some okay foods like yogurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes, etc...

i refuse to "puree" stuff. yuck.

yesterday I had some very moist skinless chicken (diced, and I chewed very well).

later in the day, I had a couple Doritos (no, I dont intend on being bad), and some cashews. chewed the cashews well, of course.

sorry, I have been exercising ALOT more and for some reason have been alot hungrier.. I've lost 14 lbs since my band 10 days ago..!

a couple days ago I had a couple pieces of wheat melba toast.

so far everything has stayed down fine without discomfort or anything else.

any thoughts or feedback from anyone? is my band going to slip?

am I hurting myself?

or is everyone's healing a bit different?

There is no way that anyone can predict whether your band is going to slip or not because of your eating. I assume that you are eating solids earlier than your Dr instructed? Each Dr gives the eating guidelines for their patients for a reason - to help you heal, the first few weeks shouldn't be about weight loss. Your post op diet might be different to some one elses, but that doesn't mean that you should discard your because another Doc lets their patient eat solids earlier. Just because someone else is ok eating solids earlier, does not mean that you will be too. My advice is to cut out eating the solids and go back to exactly what your Doc told you should be eating at this stage. That, or give the Doc a call and see if they mind if you go onto solids early. Don't risk it, its really not worth losing your band for a few weeks of boring food consumption.

. I assume that you are eating solids earlier than your Dr instructed? . My advice is to cut out eating the solids and go back to exactly what your Doc told you should be eating at this stage. That, or give the Doc a call and see if they mind if you go onto solids early. Don't risk it, its really not worth losing your band for a few weeks of boring food consumption.

yes, I am progressing too early. I am a couple days early for "soft foods".

thanks for the advice. its not worth it to screw things up.

You NEED to stick with the food stage you're assigned to. Because something might go down doesn't mean it's OK to eat it. The food stages are there for a reason, e.g. to give the band a chance to get secured in position. Pushing the food stages can very well jeopardize the chances that this will happen. Things chewed well doesn't make them mushies, "mushy" or "soft" or whatever refers to the ORIGINAL value of the food, not the value once you've chewed it up.

See this thread: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/675012-post7.html

And this one: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/726734-post2.html

I haven't been banded yet, but know that eating things like Doritos and chicken (at least non-pureed) is a big NO NO. When you eat solid foods like this, even if you chew them, your body is digesting them and muscles in your stomach are moving lots and this could jeopardize the healing of your stiches and things like slippage and other issues could come about. I send hopes of the band being successful for you, if you are pushing it now, it seems as if you may try to cheat the band and that definately won't make you successful... I hope you make a comittment to eating healthy and working with the band so you can achieve the effects that you want to witht the band. Good luck to you my friend.

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

They are all correct. When I asked my doc why there were so many different instructions out there for post-op diets he said it was for 2 reasons. First, the training of the doc. Second is the technique of the doc and this is the one that is crucial. You doc knows best about what will be safe for the way he does his surgery and the type of band that you have. If you practice the will power NOW (and yes the band still requires will power) then it will pay dividends later. I learned the rules early and I followed them to an obsession almost, but 8 months later I have lost 91.5 pounds. You can do this this. PM me if you want some good Soup recipes. In fact I am back on Soups because my band is too tight right now!

Why risk later complications for a moment of "pleasure" now? My doctor is medium conservative for post surgery diet, and I figured that if I had so little willpower I couldn't do a diet for three weeks, I might as well hang it up right now. It's not for that long.