Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A somewhat difficult question about...diarrhea.

For three weeks now, beginning two weeks pre-surgery, and now coming close to one week post-surgery, I have bouts of diarrhea every few days. There is little normal movement in between (which may be because of the diarrhea).

It's rather, er, explosive, to want for a better term, and (forgive me) mustardy-yellow and very, very watery. Let's put it this way: I dare not let loose with what I suspect may be gas, because the result may well be an unfortunate surprise.

I drink about 3 Slim-Fast Optimas per day. These were among the recommended Protein Shakes on the list given me by the nutritionist in my surgeon's practice, namely because they are easy to find. I am wondering if these can be the reason behind my bouts of diarrhea.

Now for an illustration you might prefer to skip, if you happen to favor Slim-Fast's Cappuccino-flavored shakes: I had a bout of this explosive diarrhea today, and the room filled with the distinctive smell of coffee bean. So I'm wondering if it is, in fact, the Slim-Fast, or if it's something else (gallbladder? liver?), and that the scent of that particular variety just happens to be that strong as to "scent" the whole mess. (I haven't detected any vanilla or chocolate scents wafting about the bathroom during my previous bouts, so I don't know what to make of it).

Is this diarrhea normal (aside from smelling curiously delightful?) :lol:

I think you need to talk to your doctor. Most people experience the

opposite problem.(constipation) It could very well be the slim fast and for some reason your body isn't digesting it right.

Cheryl Ann, I feel your pain. I logged in today to seek answers to your same question, but I did not suffer before the surgery. I think the diarreah might be the gas escaping gas that the surgeon pumps us with for the surgery. I'm still on Clear Liquids and do not drink SlimFast, so I don't know about that aspect. Perhaps your body is just intolerant to the ingredients. Maybe your doctor can suggest another Protein source. Continued diarreah can quickly lead to dehydration, so don't delay contacting your physician.

I haven't had that problem, but I do have to share that when I drink the Cappuccino flavored slim-fast, my pee smells like it for like 2 days. I refuse to drink them anymore for that simple fact, lol

Hey guys! I am 12 days post op and I had the same problem. I have it every now and then too. I think it has to do with the amount of sugar that is in the shake. BECAUSE, I was drinking kirkland weight loss shakes from costco and they had 38 grams and then I switched to drinking protien powder with skim milk and the protien powder only had 1 gram of sugar and its seemed to slow down. Even to a stop now, its just soft stuff now..no more watery.

I don't know if this helps, but maybe you could try a different shake and see if that does anything, if so...then we got our answer!