Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An initiation rite.

I feel like proclaiming 'Today I am a bander'! Not because I got my band, but because I passed (suffered??) my first initiation - the rite of the first PB. OWWWWW!!!:eek:

I knew about it, had read reams about them, thought I would be able to avoid them because I knew and practiced the rules. I practiced before getting the band, and since banding have passed the other stages (liquid, mushies, bandster hell, first fill, second fill) with nary a glitch. But, alas, the gullet is greater than the fork!

Sorta like childbirth - until you experience it, you cannot imagine it. Reading, researching and conversations do not adequately describe it. It is beyond description - although I do recall someone on this forum referring to it as the golf-ball from hell. Gotta say, to me it was more like a flaming soccerball! Whatever you call it, ouch!:thumbup:

So, I guess I hereby annoit myself (with slime) - a bandster!

OK, you officially have me scared! How did it happen? I want to avoid the horrible thing you just suffered.....!!!

'Twas my own fault. You know the 'chew chew chew' command? Do NOT break it! I did not chew my bite of salmon well enough...truth be told, it was more like I just opened my mouth and inhaled it! Results - OUCH!!!

:crying:

Never again. never never never again.

Thanks for the inspiration. I am not banded yet.. just had all my paper work filed for approval. I'm already trying to practice the chew, chew , chew.. which is very hard!! I've been in jobs most of my life that I throw down food and go. To chew each small bite 27 times is hard! But I'm starting to practice.! I will remember you and I'll try to not go there! Molly

Will have to remember this also. I too am trying to get into pratice prior to the surgery. I find it very hard to remember the Chew, Chew, Chew rule. At time I do and other times I catch myself forgetting. What I find the hardest is to not sallow as I chew..VERY hard...God I hope this gets better.

I just want to say that no matter how conscientious you are about chewing, taking small bites, eating slowly, avoiding foods that historically give problems, you may still experience this. It is uncomfortable, but I consider it a part of life as a bandster. Some people don't have the problem much or ever, but many do go through it from time to time. C'est la vie of a bandster.